Carmageddon TV (PC/PS2/GC - 2005)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Ludoscience, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Ludoscience

Ludoscience Member

Hello there!

I'm a bit of amateur historian, and I love unreleased games. On my free time, I try to do interviews with developers of cancelled games to learn more about them. One of my first "discoveries" is a gameplay video of a cancelled episode of the Carmageddon series.

[​IMG]

In 2003, SCi, publisher of the game series, started the development of a fourth episode. Titled Carmageddon TV, this new episode tries to explore a new direction. The universe is "rebooted": the game is now set in a "reality-TV" show, but the game still features a lot of car crushing and pedestrian violence. Unfortunately, the project was cancelled in 2005 by SCi. From what I've been told, the game was in a "pre-alpha" stage when it got cancelled. About 4 playable levels, a bunch of cars, and a lot of pedestrians to run over (including animals in the Zoo level) were working in the final build. Here is a short gameplay video I've been able to uncover:

This game wasn't developed by the original creator of the series, but by a British studio called Visual Sciences, which unfortunately closed doors with this project cancellation. This could have been the final point of the beloved car smasher games series. Hopefully, Stainless Studios, the creators of the first two games (the best ones!) finally released a 4th episode called Carmageddon Reincarnation earlier this year :).

kennypecheur likes this.
  2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Pretty sure @HEX1GON might have some knowledge on this.

3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

4. Ludoscience

Ludoscience Member

Woaw, great concepts, I wasn't aware of them!

Thanks @HEX1GON for sharing them, great find!

Btw, as I see that you are a Carma fan, I also did an interview with Neil "nobby" Barnden about the history of Carmageddon, with the hope that he still have the "3D Destruction Derby" concept demo of the game somewhere. Unfortunately this demo seems forever lost, be he did told me about Stainless Studios first game, called "Broom" :

Funny to see how all their game are related to cars :)

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

nobby was a real banger racer in his earlier years, he was lucky to be friends with batwick without his genius coding probably wouldn't of been a Carmageddon. Sadly even the original source code for Carma1 is lost too.. Possibly he could have them stored some where, he usually claims to have a flakey memory :p

6. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

Would've loved to see the C1 code - especially the comments. Remember the... colorful language found in the game's data files?

7. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

omg, I would have loved to play that Carmageddon part :O...wow...thank you so much for sharing !

2nd image reminds me of a Megarace Level...

[​IMG]