Capcom Coin-Op Classics Series 1 (Street Fighter)

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Spineratti, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Spineratti

Spineratti Member

Hey there,
    I bought Capcom Coin-Op Classics Series 1 so I could legally own the MAME ROM for Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting. I got the disc and the ROM is indeed on there. The CD also includes World Warrior and Champion Edition (which is great because I was hoping to have all three versions despite only Hyper Fighting being advertised!). My next step was to update the ROMs so they can be used in modern versions of MAME as well as Final Burn Alpha. I was able to do it using clrMAMEpro and a few DATs.

There's just one problem though: I was talking about doing this on MAMEWorld a while back, and according to this post, there are extra pieces of data for the games called PALs and PROMs that weren't dumped at the time the Capcom CD was published (1999). I can get the updated ROMs to work in FBA Windows, but MAME and FinalBurn-X (the Mac version of FBA) won't accept them without the extra data.

The guys on MAMEWorld won't help me with any of this because they'd rather have me just download the ROMs off the Internet, which I refuse to do because I'm trying REALLY hard to be a legit gamer. So that's why I came here. Do you guys have any way to help me with this predicament? Are the PALs and PROMs freeware by chance, or at least legally obtainable by simple means? Or am I doomed to have to use my Street Fighter ROMs with ancient versions of MAME?

2. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

There is no point in trying to be a "legit gamer" when it comes to emulation. Piracy is unavoidable.

3. Spineratti

Spineratti Member

Then here's another question:
    Is it legal (or at least acceptable) to mod my PSP?

If yes, then I'd LOVE to mod it, but to play my legally-dumped 16-bit ROMs, PS1 and PSP ISOs...

4. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

Just stop it, man. No, it is technically not legal to mod a PSP.
    However, Sony stopped giving a shit ages ago and you can do as you please with the console.
    And in the case of the ROMs, I doubt mame on PSP will run them either.

Again, there is no point in trying to be a "legit gamer" when it comes to emulation. Piracy is unavoidable. Go big or go home. You should not be afraid of getting caught for games that are mostly abandonware + you now own the games on a cd so even if you download them again from a rom site that has them in a format that newer versions of mame can support, its not piracy. If you are afraid of piracy, do not bother with emulation.

P.S. You cant just use PS1 isos. You need to convert them to a Eboot format which is frankly a hassle. Get premade ones instead. You already own the game so it is technically not piracy.
    As your "legally dumped" PSP games, to dump PSP ISO's, you need to modify the PSP, connect the PSP to your PC with a cable and either:
    1- drag the ISO right from the UMD depending on your CFW.
    2- use a homebrew program to rip the UMD onto your memory stick pro duo.

In conclusion: you must have already modified your PSP in order to have dumped those games or you let someone else do it for you. Please stop trying to cut corners

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019