Cant save with MD ever-drive.

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by rush6432, Feb 1, 2011.

1. rush6432

rush6432 Member

Ive been trying to play Advanced daisenryaku rom file on the everdrive which does work, but the save states just dont seem to work.... this is one game you DO need save states for as the game is very long and there are many scenarios.

I havn't really tried this with any other games just yet as i havn't had time.
    Im curious if the game has serial eeprom saving or if its sram... i did not see it listed on the list of games that the everdrive does not support for saving games.

Im running OS version 20
    Firmware version 12
    and PCB Version 2.3

i bought two everdrives from Kitsch-Bent.com and both have the same issue with this game.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

possible 3 problem
    1) wrong rom header without sram saves declare
    2) serial eeprom saves
    3) saves with 16 bit access to sram

3. rush6432

rush6432 Member

how can i go about fixing this issue? check the header obviously (easiest one). If its serial are their ways to create a rom hack to allow it to save like normal sram?

btw what is the abbreviation for the sram option in the header so i know what to check on the editing tool.

the options ive got are:

joy (already checked)
    6jp
    key
    prn
    cbl
    fdd
    lac
    4tp
    0ms
    rs2
    tab
    vpc
    cdr
    Mms

4. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

ram option: "RA" offset 0x1B0

try to make save on emulator and put save file here, i will check that is 8bit or 16 bit saves

5. rush6432

rush6432 Member

Here is a copy of the save file on an emulator. i saved IN GAME and not using the save state feature the emulator has. seems to come out just fine in .srm file

I renamed the file extension to .7z to upload it here. just rename it to .srm

As far as the offset 0X1B0, you mean just goto this offset in a hex editor and input "RA" at this location?

Also if it is indeed 16bit save to sram is there a way to change this maybe? or is it more trouble than it is worth? Also same goes for serial eeprom saving. is there a way to change this possibly to or create a rom hack to allow sram saving?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  6. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

as i can see this game used more that 8kb of sram, so evendrive should use more than one 8kb bank for save. i will fix it in future OS update

7. rush6432

rush6432 Member

Thanks, i really appreciate the information and the prompt reply. Im glad you support your product like this.

Do you have a guess when the next OS update release will be available??

8. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

probably on next week

9. rush6432

rush6432 Member

btw, would this be the same problem for the game shi-kin joh?? im having saving problems with this as well. i cant get it to save on an emulator either.... not sure if its sram or eeprom saving.

10. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

11. Barone

Barone Active Member

KRIKzz,

Please, would be possible to have the same kind of fix for Duke Nukem 3D saves?
    The game is hard as hell and the saves are very useful to reduce the amount of pain...

12. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i afraid that duke used some unknown save type

13. Barone

Barone Active Member

Tec Toy might have made something bizarre there...
    I bought the original game on 1998, 'cause I'm in Brazil and it was blast for me then. And the instant save and load feature was a big surprise.

King Colossus does not save too... Neither the original Japanese rom nor the translated rom. And, yes, I tried many different sets, always beginning with GoodGen 3.
    A guy with a firmware v8 said it works for him, but I'm in a firmware v13 PCBv2.4 and using the same OS he was using it did not work for me. I tried many other OS versions without success.
    King Colossus is a great RPG game (well, to deserve a M.I.J.E.T. translation one must be great, always) and saves are crucial...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  14. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i will try to do something

15. Barone

Barone Active Member

THANK YOU!!!

16. Barone

Barone Active Member

Hi, KRIKzz!

I know that are overbusy but: Did you try to fix the problem with King Colossus not saving?
    Any new OS release for Everdrive MD in near future?

Regards,

Agostinho

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  17. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i did not try to do somethin. don't ask me about my plans, cuz i not a company where managers always try to estimate all, i just do my work when i do and never not try to make some plans for a many days ahead. i have no any information about my own plans

18. goldenegg

goldenegg Active Member

That's an extremely harsh response Krikzz. You told agostinhobaroners that you would look in to it. There's absolutely no reason to be so mean in your response after he decided to follow-up 1.5 months later.

Like it or not, but you create products for public consumption. That puts you in a position where you need to address the concerns of your customers. I'm not saying that you need to fix each and every bug, but you can't treat customers like this.

On your own website, you clearly state "+ all SEGA megadrive/genesis games supported, except virtue racing". If you're not willing to maintain the product to keep up that claim, I highly suggest removing that statement.

I hope you were simply having a bad day when you wrote that response.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  19. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

I think he was just stating that he doesn't have a schedule so to speak, just fixes it when he can. Just update the statement ''If a game doesn't work, report it and I'll get round to it'' not to mention the game is supported, it just doesn't save ;-)

20. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i did not want to say something in angry tone, but my english is not perfect, so misunderstanding is possible. i just want to say that i have huge "need to do" text file and i do tasks in random hour of random day and even not try to plan something, but people always ask me something like "what you plan to do" or "when you plan to do" etc. but i can't answer