Can't Get Rid of Green Screen On My NES!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SnoopKatt, Sep 4, 2012.

1. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

If the connector was the issue, your original connector can have the contacts cleaned and if needed slightly bent to make better contact. Refurbishing an original connector should work better than those new chinese connectors that are really tight fitting.

2. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

One of the NES i refurbished, i must have bent the pin a tad too much, its quite snug and strangely it only works if I do not push the cart down. If i push the cart down i get flashing screen but if i just inset the cart it actually work nearly 100% of the time on the first try.

3. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Rapidly Rising Member

I definitely don't like the tightness of the new connector. I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe something wrong on the actual motherboard connector... Time to keep scrubbing.

4. Volyren Nightsong

Volyren Nightsong Newly Registered

my old nes usually give me some trouble every once in a while, but i find that you just need to let it know who's boss. Slap it a few times, and call it nancy-boy, if that doesn't work, threaten to throw it in the trash. (im joking of course, except for open palm slapping on top, which works a good bit for mine) on a serious note, there have been enough times that I threatened the thing with dissasembly or trashing it, and lo and behold, it works on the next attempt flawlessly. (i have witnesses!)
    makes me wonder if my nintendo has become self aware..... :p

seriously though, if you are comfortable trying it, turn it on, and if it green screen, using an open palm (like a slap) and slap it on top once or twice, then try again. I've cleaned up the insides of mine, reconnected everything, and to this day, its usually 2 slaps to the top, at most 3 attempts, and im good to go. I am not saying hit it with all your might, just whack it open palm about as hard as you would spank a child's hand. Truly I have no idea why this works, as it was merely me becoming frustrated with it in the beginning. However it works for mine nearly 80% of the time, within the first 3 attempts. Just dont do it in anger. You want to jar the insides a little, not squash it like a bug.
    And please note, this is for a side loader, not the later top loader. (might work for a top loader too, but I cannot say for sure, and would not nescessarily recommend it, as the top loader has its cart mount on top, and you would not want to slam it for fear of damaging it.)

5. omp

omp Familiar Face

6. SnoopKatt

Yeah, sometimes if I tap it, it will work. I would rather have a more consistent solution though.

That connector is an interesting idea. A lot of work, but it sounds like a good solution. When you finish yours, let us know how it works!

7. omp

omp Familiar Face

I finished the modified connector. It works fine for most of my games, there are 2 carts (out of the 16 I have) that need to be put in just right. This is better than before though, some games (ie more than the 2) had to really be messed around with to work (both with new & retensioned original). The reason for this is I don't think I got the angle of the edge connector 100%. Instead of being perpendicular to the cart it is say at 5degrees, which maybe enough to upset it. When soldering the edge connector in, I did solder the bottom row of pins first, put it into the tray, slide in a game and then soldered the top row of pins. An easy fix for me though maybe is to remove the 2 springs out of the tray, set the tray so everything lines up and fix in place. It was a bit of work, but overall I am happy with it. You can get the 72 pin edge connectors off ebay.

8. SnoopKatt

Good to hear that it works well! I'm tempted to try it but it sounds like a ton of work. I do have a Game Genie so I suppose it's worth a try.

9. MaxWar

As i wrote earlier, I refurbished my old conector and made the pins quite tight. I no longer need to push down the cart and my games work all the time. Much simpler than sacrificing a game genie and making all this stuff imo.

10. omp

omp Familiar Face

lol no Game Genie was harmed in making this.

I made this mostly for the lol's and just something to try.

*edit link removed, these edge connectors are not suitable.....

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  11. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

12. MaxWar

13. omp

omp Familiar Face

Yes with these one's, thanks to the wide pads on the NES games, work fine. If they were like mega drive or the like then they wouldn't work. You can see in the above pic the end pin just makes it without having to be swung in. I started in the middle with everything being lined up perfect. If they were longer by another 1-2mm then these would be no good. There is another set on ebay (blue ones) but these are too wide at 3.96mm pitch vs 2.54mm pitch (that is the spacing between pins) for these ones. When I get 5 minutes, I will take a pic, strip down a cart and put the board in for other peoples interest.

If you didn't care (and I will be shot for suggesting this) is to solder this straight to the NES main board and insert the game upside down from behind (nothing suss).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  14. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Well I intended a mere shameless copy of the NES-101 mechanism.

15. omp

omp Familiar Face

Bloody hell.....

Ok fella's I went to a mate's place on the way home and grabbed a few (10) NES games off him that I didn't have. Gave them a clean up as they needed it. I could only get 6 of them to work! I chucked my old re-tensioned and new 72 pin connector in and I got 8 to work! I tried some of my games with the modified connector, with the tray springs removed and now my 260 in 1 cart doesn't work in it! Put the new 72 pin connector and a bit of fudging and it worked!

I think it has to be 100% lined due to the pins being ever so slightly off.

So sorry guys seems I wasted your time on these ones (have removed link), I am pretty disappointed. To me it seems I wasted my time but at least we know for sure 2.54 spacing even though it is close, just isn't good enough. When I measured up my Game Genie it was around 2.45-2.5mm.

However if the 100% proper spacing edge connectors could be sourced, it would be the winner.

Again I apologise.

16. comicbooknerd

comicbooknerd Spirited Member

One thing I found to work was getting the cart to fit in as snug as possible to the console. By this I dont mean pushing it in as far as you can. What I do is:

Push the cartridge in and pull it out just enough that it wont push down, just so it catches on the shell of the NES.
    Then slowly push it in a little further and keep trying to press down.
    Keep doing this until the cart is as close to the outer case as possible.

I hope the above makes a little sense, i'll be honest Iv'e had a few early beers tonight and logic isn't on my side right now!