can this game gear be fixed?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by snobgamergr, Jun 4, 2018.

1. snobgamergr

snobgamergr Spirited Member

A friend of mine has some game gears that need capacitor replacements. (Dim screen, no sound etc)
    Among them, is this one that has black lines along the screen.
    I don't have any experience fixing game gears. From your expertise, can it be fixed?
    34319157_211636386283930_5757120033532674048_n.jpg 34321876_211636442950591_3254751625935323136_n.jpg

2. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

It's been a long time, but I remember having one like this sent to me and it did end up working after the capacitor replacement. The unforgettable smell of rotten fish from leaking capacitors filled my house after I did several of them in a row and I vowed to never do one again, but if your friend can't solder I'd offer a hand.

Edit: Your second image didn't load the first time I opened the thread, looks pretty bad. Don't throw away, figure out how to make use of it with a $5 Pi Zero or something!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  3. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

Apparently this happens when the LCD cable becomes loose inside the game gear. It needs to be opened and inspected for cable detachment or damage.

4. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

I can't find a picture of the LCD cable, but read some forum posts about resoldering it like the Game Boy. I would get one of those $1 soldering iron tips from china made for that purpose and just throw the Game Gear in a draw until it comes to try it if it comes down to that. Not worth getting sent off, don't they sell for like 5 dollars still?

5. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

Could be the ribbon cable detaching or a dying lcd chip, recap first then worry about that. Do a temperature check on the middle lcd chip first though, if it is shorted it can become extremely hot.

6. StriderSubzero

StriderSubzero Active Member

I don't remember what the ribbon cable looks like on the Game Gear, but with some consoles you can reflow the solder on the connection for the ribbon cable to correct this problem. I'd definitely try capacitors first, though.

7. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

I haven’t seen any issues with the ribbons under normal circumstances, that should be checked first though. It is most likely the middle lcd control chip. Many times though it isn’t too bad after a cap kit, so do that and then see how it looks. If it still looks bad then lcd mod it or use for parts.