Bung Game Doctor 64 problem

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Pointman, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Pointman

Pointman Member

I'm not sure if this is the right room for this kinda question but here goes nothing :icon_bigg

I decided to bust out my Game Doctor 64 as it has been in storage for a while and upon loading up a disc (a vcd of course) the message "send atapi command error" comes up on the screen. Has anyone got any idea as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance

2. Aphous

Aphous Member

I dont know anything about the Doctor 64, but it sounds like a communication error between the device and the cd-rom drive... perhaps a loose IDE cable on the inside?

3. fishfash

fishfash Member

I had the same problem. In my case it was the power supply not sending enough power to the CDROM drive and as a result the CDROM was unable to able to read the media.

I replaced my PSU with a PC PSU and all was good.

4. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

Either
    1. Drive is bad (this has happened on one I fixed)
    2. Cable is bad
    3. Cable is not connected
    4. Power supply is not working properly

On my old power brick, a few caps were bulging -replaced them and the power supply worked just fine. This also solved the problem where my CD drive would randomly eject the tray every 30 seconds.

5. Infrid

Infrid Rapidly Rising Member

check the drive jumper, must be set in MASTER mode.

6. Jackhammer

Jackhammer Peppy Member

I had the same error on my first V64. Tried changing the cd drive, cable etc, but didn't think of the power supply.

My 2nd V64 showed the error once (I have a modded PC power supply), I sent a game from my PC to the V64 to check it was still running games. It worked, and when I powered up again, the error message was gone.