"Building" an XBOX 360 PSU

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by feder, Sep 8, 2009.

1. feder

feder Gutsy Member

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to make an XBOX 360 PSU connector, the three 12 V connectors are female connectors and I have some male pins that fit perfectly inside the connector, however the 5 V and PS ON connections are more difficult to reach. But both PS ON and the 5 V (more precisely 5 VSBY) are for turning on the console and allowing the PSU to pass 12 V to the connector.

So, my question is, if I use an ATX PSU and forced the PSU to be turned on always (you do it by simply soldering the PS ON wire and GND), and if I soldered the Pins to three 12 V cables and connected them to the XBOX connector, would it work? I know you can't soft reset it, but that's not too important for me.

2. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

I am sure I found a diagram when I was looking into this the other year. It used a transistor to switch the psu on. I'll try to find it again.

3. c_rpg

c_rpg Spirited Member

If the power supply can deliver the required current, then yeah it would work. I don't know what voltage(s) the Xbox360 requires though and the amount of amps it draws. You should check it out for you model (arcade/elite/...) and compare it with the psu you have.

4. KIWIDOGGIE

KIWIDOGGIE Peppy Member

I had to do that for my test kit, since I had a sidecar etc... Just make it "On Always" and if your PSU has the Power switch on the back just use that.

5. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

[​IMG]

The ATX psu must supply 12V at a current higher then what is listed on the back of your PSU, to be safe make sure it's rated 20% higher then what's listed. So if 16A make sure the PSU is 20A or so, some cheap PSUs won't like running at a high current and may shut down (or worse...) the 5V line should be high enough.

If the Xbox shuts down soon after being switched on then the PSU is shutting down. Stick a dummy load on the 12V line and ground (an LED with a large limiting resistor would do) this way the PSU is not going cold from 0 to lots of amps in one go.

6. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

The diagram I saw used the PWR_Enable line to start the PSU. I am sure a transistor circuit was involved. The only benefit was to start the machine with the pad or front button.