Building an Emulatior box with a Intel Nuc

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Apr 10, 2015.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

The Intel Nuc looks like a fun project box. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

This seems like the perfect divice to throw MAME on, play Doujin games and maybe a few other emulators. But it's not a cheap option, It'll need Windows 10 or a decent linux install, drivers, a custom interface internal hard drive and Ram plus the price of the box.

Not that doing this on a Raspberry Pi 2 would be any cheaper, but installing Linux, getting roms on it getting controllers working and so on.

I am curious if anyone else has gone the NUC Emulation box route It seems like a good idea if not an expensive one.

2. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Fun, Yes. CHeap, no. RaspberryPi2, Better.

I own a few and after some tests the raspberry pi 2 is quick compared to the older one. and an NUC is almost like a thinclient, have you looked at thinclients?
    Also is windows 10 coming for the raspberry pi2, so only if x86 is really reaaaaaly needed, you go for this nuc.

Unless... you build a Emulation and Steam box :p than I would spend my coins on a nuc... (GPU ?) this is my feew ideas, totally unorganized.

3. GodofHardcore

There's the AMD Brix too. Which I would think might have a better graphics chip set since AMD and ATI are one in the same. Seems cheaper than a Nuc too.

4. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

AMD's integrated GPUs are no better than Intel's.

5. pwl

pwl You don't need a reason to help someone

I setup a raspberry pi 2 with retropie last week, so far it's been working really well. I've only been playing Snes and Mega Drive stuff, not tried psx/n64 yet. A few games have bugs Pilot Wings has problems it is payable though.

I got a couple of cheap USB Saturn pads from eBay, the whole thing cost me about £60. Was time consuming but easy to setup. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap way of playing a few old games, just don't expect all games to work on it.

6. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

They are much better.

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

The quality between AMD and Intel are very close these days...

8. GodofHardcore

For better or worse?

I need something that can at least run CPS3 games and KI 1/2. That's why I'm iffy on the PI 2. I want to do something with a Pi since it's so cheap, but I hear mixed things about running anything past the CPS2. it would be a plus to run some 3d Namco games Like Tekken 1 and 2, might be too much to ask for with MK4 and War Gods though. Do they even run well on regular MAME now?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

It's fair to say, AMD got better when it was combined with ATi, or the other way around. Whatever, I've currently got a AMD CPU now, it's going strong like day 1.

Although a lot of me is saying to go Intel next, it's more supported than AMD/ATi. If you're on a budget an AMD/ATi build is just fine.

10. GodofHardcore

It's not like I'm playing anything demanding but you never know I at least need something that'll run more demanding MAME roms smoothing, which on a PI is iffy or so I've been told.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. NovaFox

NovaFox Rapidly Rising Member

For the price, AMD / ATI is killer, and in my 9 years of using their stuff I've never once had anything fail on me.
    My 8 core AMD FX computer is benchmarked more powerful than some of Intel's processors that cost half the price of my total computer. I use it for Music production with 100+ individual plugins per each project and I've JUST now started maxing CPU usage. Anyone that says AMD / ATI is bad either had some very bad luck or they're the serious Intel enthusiast type, imo.

Back on topic, Those Mini PC's are a cool idea, especially for a MAME type deal. But for the price I'd rather go for a pi 0.0

12. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

For MAME you want the fastest single core performance you can get. These small PC things are not well suited for that. MAME might perform well enough for older titles but anything 3D is going to be very demanding. Even a game like Killer Instinct might not work so well (through MAME) on some of these tiny devices.

13. GodofHardcore

I've been told a Nuc can run Crysis

14. andoba

andoba Site Supporter 2014

From what I understood modern games are more thread oriented, you get better performance with several CPU's doing different things at the same time (physics, IA, sound, etc...) so it's good to use for example a system with 4 moderately performing CPU's. In MAME you have to emulate the whole system (3D graphics included) in a single CPU, so the faster it can execute an instruction the better, independently of how many processors you've got on the system.

15. GodofHardcore

I got good performance on my now dead laptop, which was an Intel Core 2 duo. It ran all the games I mentioned. I don't know what these Nucs and AMD boxes are running though.

16. Sephirothkefka

Sephirothkefka A very interesting person

Why not use a Jetson K1 board w/ Linux?

17. GodofHardcore

Because I had no idea what a Jetson K1 board is until you mentioned it.

18. Sephirothkefka

Sephirothkefka A very interesting person

I'd get one... If I had $193 lying around...

19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It'd probably be better just to build a small PC in a Mini-ITX case. You could use discrete graphics and a more powerful CPU. Depending on what you want, it could be relatively cheap. I guess if you just want to use it to play with MAME, you don't need it to be really powerful. But you might want to use it for other stuff too.

20. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier