Broken disc HELP

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Diablodin, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

I have a couple of prototypes with severe cracks in them. They obviously won't dump, but I'm willing to go pretty far to have them dumped.
    So, I wonder... Are there any solutions or ways to repair the discs?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

TerdFerguson likes this.
  2. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

yeah probably not lol

i'm no expert but i think if even the tiniest bit of the data layer is lost its FUBAR'd

3. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Ok. Well, I'm ready to try almost anything! Maybe someone has Harry Potter's number or something. I'm listening.
    If not... God daaaaaaamn it. We're talking early Diablo PS1 builds.......

4. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

The radial forces of a cd drive will continue to extend those fractures. Have you tried a low rpm drive?

5. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

I dump using a sturdy Plextor PX-712A, and I run at 8 speed. Do you think a speed of 2 would affect the readability?

6. Twilight

Twilight Site Supporter 2015

Hard to say...

Heat up any slim metal thing like needle and touch the places where these cracks begin (around the hole) to stop them.

Diablodin likes this.
  7. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Ok. Thanks for the tip. I will need to do this with another disc which had beginning cracks, but they were still only affecting the clear plastic around the center. It dumped perfectly.
    And that's the main concern - I would love all the discs dumped. Once they're dumped the data is preserved and I will clean them, archive them securely and most likely never use the actual prototypes again.

8. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Intrepid Member

The data is most likely fine but the problem is the cracks wreak havoc on the servo and focusing circuitry of the drive. Probably the best way would be a custom firmware on an old pc cd drive that would allow some control over the tracking. Then again maybe some ancient drives may be tolerant of the reflection from the crack. Do not attempt to repair the crack in any way, doing so will often distort the edge of the plastic and cause the backing to peel at the data layer

Diablodin likes this.
  9. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Ok, yeah. The cracks sre very clean,with no gaps, pieces falling off or "bleeding" or what you can call it when it almost looks like something seeping out of the cracks.

I also thought about altering the inner plastic especially might shift the spin traction and cause problems.

But thanks! I will look around for such a drive, but preferably it should be compatible with DICUI which is the program I use for dumping.
    And if you have any more info plesse share! :)