Boom, I'm back!

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by supersega, Jan 3, 2019.

1. supersega

supersega I have 7 and a half PS1s in my room alone.

Hi! supersega is back out of boredom and hasn't done anything but cleaned up a SNES since my absence. Looking forward to helping the community!

@MonkeyBoyJoey @la-li-lu-le-lo where's the gang at?

Shane McRetro likes this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Oh you poor soul. So much has happened

Shane McRetro, supersega and karsten like this.
  3. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

Snatcher_sega_cd.png

Shane McRetro likes this.
  4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I've always wondered what the 1/2 a PS1 was...

supersega likes this.
  5. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I'm still here, barely.

6. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

I'm over on the FridgeDRM Discord server. Only come on here to check notifications anymore.

7. supersega

Oh honey... I know there was a falling out when I was here last in mid 2018, did it get worse?

Your request is my command... Later today. :p

YASS. Is jp. still acitve? I'm friends with them on FB but even then I don't see much video game stuff from them.

Oh. Sorry to drag you out from underneath your dark rock, lol. Good to see you are still here though!

8. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Most of the old users are barely around.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Well, activity here has slowed down a lot. Also, Kevin has apparently stopped approving new members.

I haven’t seen jp post anything in quite a while.

10. supersega

That sucks, a lot of knowledge has been lost. Now that I am thinking about it, I'm not seeing l_olivera in any new posts.

I understand the slowdown, but geez, why's that?! Do they want this place to survive?

Sucks to see jp hasn't been posting. He was great at X360 mods if I remember correctly.

Also @TriMesh here it is! I used the top case and lid for my DTL that was smashed up by USPS, the power supply cable for another console, and the laser was kaput from the start.

[​IMG]

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

"They" in this case is just Kevin, that's it. He's the only one in control. As far as why, I think he just doesn't care any more. It seems that he's still paying for hosting and doing updates (maybe) – and that appears to be the limit of his involvement, unless he's doing something else that isn't visible to us. I think maybe part of the reason he isn't accepting new members is because he doesn't want to do any moderation himself, and for whatever reason he won't add new mods – even though he said he was going to. And you're right, the site can't survive like this; but again, Kevin doesn't care. Either that, or he's still in denial – which is also likely.

I don't know if Kevin even looks at the site any more. If he does, it'd be really nice if he could give us some indication of what the fuck is going on, but so far... nothing. In fact, it'd be great if we could have some kind of dialogue about the future of the site – which is something we always had before. Without even that, things look pretty hopeless.

Syclopse likes this.
  12. TriMesh

OK, I had never seen a SCPH-500.5 before!

Just out of interest, was your broken debug one of the green ones? They seem to be really fragile.

13. supersega

Woah. I wish someone would take it over from him or at least give a co-owner who cares some control. Anyone can snap though, I kind of see the logic he's got but it won't help in that case. I remember when there used to be updates to the state of the site often in the news section, looks barren now. Hopeless indeed. I'll stick around but it won't be the same activity and great findings as it used to do before.

Yup, very rare limited edition! Only one like it. And yes it was, good guess. It was packed very well in a large-size box wrapped in layers of bubble wrap, yet the side vents got smashed and screw post was ruined in the front left corner near the power button.

14. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Unless this is a different one It used to be mine, which was sold, then repackaged and shipped again which caused it to be damaged due to poor packing. It was then decided by the new owner to put the board in a good normal case and separate the lid with the signature on it.
    It's a DTL-H1200 and I dont recall the serial
    1013161859a.jpg 1013161926.jpg

15. TriMesh

I doubt it was bad packaging - I've seen so many of those things with broken cases that I suspect it's some sort of chemical reaction between the plastic and whatever they were using as a green pigment. One of the ones I saw had lost so much physical integrity that I could break parts off the upper housing just using my fingers.

16. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

The person after me put a single layer of tiny bubble bubblewrap around it and then into a box with room to shake it. Trust me, it was bad. I know the plastic in these is pretty bad, but the packing was 100% the cause

17. TriMesh

The thing is that I've seen a lot of these things broken, even when they were well packed. I've also seen a lot of grey retail consoles shipped with absurdly bad packing (like in a brown paper envelope) and arrive perfectly intact. There has to be something wrong with the plastic.

One especially notable thing is that I've seen two of the DTL-H120x consoles that had the CD cover broken in two - just a clean fracture with no stress marks. There is no way a piece of ABS that thick should break like that.

AUSTIN PEYTON likes this.
  18. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

I am the one that received the package and yes it was super bad as pixel said nothing protecting it at all.

19. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I have had my experience with plastics, and I'm not disagreeing. Those are indeed very fragile and it's probably due to an incorrect chemical mixture for the green ones. If you've ever taken a photo of one you'd know it doesnt quite match what you actually see. It has a small bit of what appears to be reflective properties that are mixed into the plastic.
    To me it fully suggests the composition of the plastic is different. To what degree no idea, but as you claim (and as I've seen) these have problems with longevity and become brittle over time a lot faster than they should.
    Something was clearly wrong with whatever they chose to dye their plastic, but it only showed up many years after the fact. Makes me wonder how the blue and net yaroze ones hold up in comparison.
    You wouldn't happen to have pics of this would you? I'd be interested to see them.

"Nothing" is a stretch. There was certainly *some* bubble wrap in it, but not enough to consider it safe to ship in the box they chose.

20. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

The blue plastic for the sega Konami justifier is quite brittle. If it hits the floor, it will shatter in a million pieces. Mine just crumbled when I tried to put screws in.