Blue Stinger sequences desynchronized by VGA in PAL versions

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by pitito, Oct 1, 2018.

1. pitito

pitito Active Member

Hello, I am translating the PAL FR version of the game into Spanish since this version has subtitles
    But I've noticed that all the PAL versions have a synchronization error in the minisecences (not videos) playing by VGA, the audios are desynchronized with the image, this does not happen with the US versiĆ³n

Here I leave you an example of the UK version by vga
    in 0:22 the first mini-sequence starts

Somebody could help me fix this problem with the PAL FR version?
    In the US version this does not happen, but I do not know how to locate this code

Gromber likes this.
  2. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

I can't believe most people aren't aware of this issue, especially in Europe. Probably it isn't that difficult to solve taking the North American version as a basis.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Vga displaying at 60hz and us version is 60hz, but pal being 50hz puts it out of sync maybe?

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

If the delay gets worse throughout the cutscene, at a rate of 200 or 166.67 ms/s, then this is the likely cause.

5. pitito

pitito Active Member

Yes, it must be that, since playing by compound cable or scart does not happen

They did not optimize well the VGA mode in the PAL versions

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

I think VGA is forced 60Hz but the game 50Hz normally. Maybe the sound is hardcoded to play based on 50Hz timing.

7. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

its a known issue with pal blue stinger. use ntsc-us instead the saves are compatible between the 2.

fafadou likes this.
  8. pitito

pitito Active Member

It is not the saved games, I am translating the FR version into Spanish, since this version has subtitles.

The US and UK versions do not have subtitles.

So for the times of today I think that playing by VGA is essential
    It could also be corrected in the other PAL versions, and this big error in the game would be fixed

Maybe, it can be an option

Edit: I think it's a 1ST_READ.BIN

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  9. -=FamilyGuy=-

You could try and speed up the sound as a cheap fix (but it would desync the non-VGA output). Or try and contact @japanese_cake, he's one of the last Dreamcast hacker with an keen interest in fixing bugs in DC games, especially related to VGA-support (or the lack thereof).

10. pitito

pitito Active Member

Yes, I already sent a private to Japanese Cake, I'm waiting for the answer, but I also wanted to post it so that we all knew the problem and if anyone could contribute something
    I think the key can be in the 1st US version, to repair the problem

fafadou likes this.
  11. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

japanese_cake don't answered at the moment...

May you can use the us 1ST_READ.BIN and patch the ip.bin in order to removed the zoning ?

I think the japanese version has a better camera system may you can work from this one ?

An amazing project, I wish you success.

12. dragoncity

dragoncity Rapidly Rising Member

I already contacted @japanese_cake 4 months ago precisely to fix the problem.
    He told me it was possible, that he had this trouble with Dino Crisis too.

Now I know he's busy, and I do not know when he can do it.

Gromber likes this.
  13. pitito

pitito Active Member

Thanks, I have translated all the text that is in the binary and some textures, now I am with the text located in bin files inside the bsdata folder, I have about 40% of the game
    About using the 1st Japanese, it could be done but I have this too advanced.
    Some video captures

With luck you can help us with the topic

fafadou likes this.
  14. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

Are you planning to fandub the game as well or just the text?

15. pitito

pitito Active Member

Only texts

16. japanese_cake

japanese_cake Spirited Member

Hi there,

Yes sorry for not being responsive, but I am really busy and I received plenty of different requests. I prefer to save my time to finish two of my pending projects. I know it can be frustrating but I don't have any other alternatives at the moment.

I will try to have a look at it some day soon and if audio sync is done the same way as dino crisis, I will be able to make a quick patch, or at least make a poc for the inteo sequence :)

17. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

thanks for taking the time to have a look here :)
    I'm agree, finish your amazing projects in first. Don't worry we are doing all we can during this time.

@pitito : I see in the RECVX project the jap 1ST_READ.BIN and US are very different... You can't just replace it unfortunately.
    Please when you finished, share your tools, if you have build some.
    Your video is great. Hope you can reach your goal.

18. pitito

pitito Active Member

ok thanks, as I told you in the private the key can be in the 1st US, since this does not have that problem, and can only change the binary code.
    The PAL versions, are very similar to the US version only changes directions pointers and little else :)

If I'm honest, I'm not a programmer and nothing like that hehe, only u user who started to take a fancy with translations into Spanish.
    I have already managed to make a few and others that are to come, like this one. You can see them in my Youtube account, although they are not all.
    Many games went on sale with English, French and German language, even having translation to Spanish in other platforms

The tool I use the most is a simple hex HXD editor, and other tools available for extracting textures and audios or videos.
    I usually use common tools with a few exceptions,:)

fafadou and truemaster1 like this.
  19. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

You have probably have a look, but maybe it's possible to add the subtitle part in the us .bin ?

What you have done is really impressive, I have a lot of difficulties in others project without being a programmer.

and yeah spanish and italian were often forgotten in those years unfortunately...

pitito likes this.
  20. pitito

pitito Active Member

It is a thing of those that change, and to do it I think it is practically impossible, a programmer would have to reprogram all the subtitles.

All my translations have had a lot of work, including text, pointers, textures etc and in some also audios and videos
    If you see my videos on my channel you will see them, there are also others that I have translated from Japanese like Dead or Alive 2 LE