Blackthorne X32 Prototype

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Jackhead, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Got my hands on a Mega Drive X32 Prototype Board, Blackthorne.
    I create a video here:
    What you can see they changed sprites in the first lv, the intro is different also, maybe more...
    Hope you enjoy!

IMG_2878.JPG

2. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Peppy Member

Who's Ed Semrad?

3. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

cereals.jpg

I loved this game !!! The pixelart !

lol @ the unfinished window fight scene :D

And the extended intro...makes so much more sense now ! :)

Thanks for sharing ! :'D

4. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Awesome find! I love Blackthorne! I didn't notice exactly what is new with the intro or sprites in the first level, without doing a close side by side comparison it looks a lot like the final product. I was also looking for other stuff that was odd to the 32x version, such as lower pitch sfx for the hero when he jumps or shoots, and the weird pitch shifted laugh of the orcs when they shoot you - but those are in here already.

I think the game had its 32x commercial release in October 1995, so this proto from June 1995 ought to be pretty close to a final product as it would take weeks/months to get the cartridges created and shipped to stores. There might not be a ton of differences to the final as well since this was a port/remake of an existing game, hence levels, enemies, enemy placement, movements, etc would be based on the previous releases rather than having these elements be adjusted and fine tuned up to the end of development.

Looks like Ed Semrad was a gaming journalist for Electronic Gaming Monthly. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...n_Video_Game_Journalist_Ed_Semrad_Returns.php

5. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

I just checked the DOS intro on youtube...it has indeed the "car scene" at the end...Im sure it wasnt in the version I had...then again, its been 24 years...but the unfinished window scene is a nice one :)