Big source find

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ASSEMbler, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Chell65

Chell65 Active Member

Ahh! I've had a bit of data recovery adventures in my time. The top thing to do is to loadup a Linux (link) or general *nix environment on a computer with the drive connected in read-only mode and dd the entire thing to an image.

Then hash the drive and hash the image. If the hashes match, it's good. Be sure to keep a clear record of all hashes done, on what, and when (down to the minute even). I usually use MD5 since it's easy, but SHA1 and others work too.

The drive should be stored in a cool, dry, unmoving place.

All recovery is then performed on the image. Usually with the image mounted or sometimes restored to a known-clean drive (be sure to write zeros across the 'clean' drive at least twice before using it to prevent non-relevant ghost data from cropping up).

I suggest using every tool you can find, especially:
    gpart (link)
    and
    Relevant DiskInternals stuff (link)

It's so crazy how even the slightest use can mess with deleted data. I really hope a dd (exact bit-for-bit backup is/was made in time. If advice, help, walking-through, or anything of the sort is needed for recovery, don't hesitate to contact me.

2. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Very good idea. If you have the storage space, working on images of the drives makes it impossible to destroy the actual data on the drives.

Not quite applicable, but I remember my livecd of GParted (Gnome Partition Editor, different than Chell65's link above) had a program on it that allowed me to simply recover previous partitions. I had formatted (obviously not low-level or byte-by-byte overwritten) a drive on accident, and it allowed me to immediately recover the correct partition (it had a list of [some] of the previous disk partitions, if I remember right?) and then the disc could be read as normal, before I formatted.

Any new findings?

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  3. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

I have an old Quantum IDE drive with stuff I lost during a wrong format, do you guys think that I may be able to recover that data? it was 5 years ago after all.

On a slightly different subject, I was thinking of getting a ExpressCard NAND disk to load the OS from there on my laptop. It should be faster than a standard HDD, and just a fraction of the price of a SSD (which BTW are as expensive as a highend laptop). The thing is that to do so I have to make an image of the factory configuration, and I dont know if that would void my warranty. They say you cant touch the hardware, but they didnt mention the software.

What do you guys think?

4. drx

drx BLAST PROCESSING. SITE SUPPORTER 2015

I was considering getting a SATA SSD drive for my root partition recently, but since I'd need about 32GB and I need to do at least RAID1, the cost was more than I was willing to chew at the moment.

From what I saw, the expresscard ones (the cheap ones) were quite slow, so be sure you check the specification and make sure they are worth the trouble.

If everything works ok though, booting your OS should be a breeze =)

5. 3do

3do Segata Sanshiro!

I'm no expert and have only only done a file recory 2-3 times but if the drive was used again several times then it may be hard to get the data back from that long ago since it was used again but i'm not sure on that one as i've only recovered the last set of files i used and not files from previous formats

If you hook the drive alongside your existing HDD then standard file recovery software should find all your files some will obviously give diffrent result as you will know. i've used Getdataback for ntfs which worked amazingly well on an old IDE drive and it found almost all my previous files from when the drive had gone down. I've tried several others but none worked that well although if the drive was used again and again you may not see the old files and only see the most recent ones.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. discworld

discworld Blue Brother

nice, i hope you can find some prototypes or other stuff on the harddrives. :)
    i think i had the same harddrive on the work in 1996 but we must change the drive because they have a small capacity of 2GB.

7. Shadowlayer

A 64GB SSD goes for more than $3K, is like going back to the 80s...

And well even a cheap expresscard cant be as slow as a 5400RPM disk, right?

About RAID1, do you really get double the speed with that like some people say?

Getdataback rocks, it saved my ass many times.

About my old Quantum drive, I remember I lost some data during a transfer (dumb mistake, I know) then got pissed and formatted the whole thing, and after that just stored some random stuff I didnt want to backup in DVDRs and such.

8. 3do

3do Segata Sanshiro!

like i say i'm no recovory expert so wouldn't know if you could get back the 5 year old data or if you would just end up getting previous deleted files.

Talking of IDE draves reminds me that i should try my 120GB ide drive and see if i can get it to work and do a recovery otherwise i've lost 7-8gb of music and 35-40gb of other files like videos,programs, old college work and general junk i've collected

9. Shadowlayer

The thing is that is those deleted files what I want to recover, the normal files are available and working fine.

The drive is from 1999 but never had any problems.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  10. drx

Myself, I'm in for RAID1 for the redundancy. I'm tired of hard drives failing on me and then recovering from them, rebuilding, etc.

There are some speed advantages to RAID1, but if you want much better speed, there is RAID0 which absolutely sucks for any data you don't want crippled =P

There is a solution however - RAID10. It gives you all the benefits of both RAID1 and RAID0, however it eats 4 drives minimum.

You can also go for RAID5 =P

11. Chell65

Chell65 Active Member

I see your RAID5 and I raise you RAID6 (or even a ZFS Zpool if you're crazy like that)

12. drx

RAID6 is the only basic raid that doesn't fail on a double drive failure, so you have a point. But I'm not that extreme... yet =P

13. JackAz!

JackAz! Peppy Member

Use Easyrecovery, but do a Format Recovery. Doesn't rename. But you have to recover to an external source.
    If that doesn't work. Perform a 'Quick Format' using a Windows XP Install Disk, then do the recovery.

We use it all the time here at work and it's pretty damn good.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  14. nighthawk

nighthawk Guest

haha insane

15. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Raid 6 = add capacity on the fly, so win.

I will be doing recovery on these drives very soon.

16. JackAz!

JackAz! Peppy Member

Recover to another source if possible, avoid recovering to itself.

17. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  18. JackAz!

JackAz! Peppy Member

Mmm Maxtor. I like how Seagate bought them, and then the Seagate drives started becoming slim-line like the Maxtor drives.

Best drive ever: Hitachi Deathstar. Mmm-mmm-mmm!

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  19. Shadowlayer

I have 2 deskstar drives, no problems at all.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  20. zappenduster

zappenduster Familiar Face