Site Suggestion Better Searchbar

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by BetaGuy64, May 3, 2019.

1. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

I haven't seen this pop up, but the nature of this site would warrant the implementation of a *FUNCTIONING* searchbar. A little nitpicky, but a suggestion that would probably benefit most of us, or at the least make browsing/finding what we need easier.

2. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

That's asking a lot from this site.

Zeigren and BetaGuy64 like this.
  3. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Admin is awol, so good luck. Your suggestion was brought up by another user years ago and it was shot down for various reasons. Hopefully that helps.

4. BetaGuy64

Ouch. I figured someone had previously brought it up, but the forum was kind of different "years ago" as you stated, so I thought I'd shoot my shot. I'm sure you know more about it than me though, so I'll take your word for it. Hopefully it can be implemented in the future. More importantly, I hope we can get some more activity around here.

5. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Unfortunately, we are unlikely to get more activity around here because it seems nobody can register at the moment.

The short answer is that the search sucks because the package this board is running on has a business model that revolves around making pretty much everything an extra-cost option - in most cases, an extra-cost option with a recurring subscription cost attached. As a result they have no incentive (well, actually a negative incentive) to make the default search any good.

So effectively the choices boil down to the built-in bogosearch or a paid option based on elasticsearch, which although it works very well is overkill for most typical forum applications - although they could fix the built-in search (perhaps using the same Lucene framework that underlies elasticsearch, since it's been built into PHP for a while), they are unlikely to for the commercial reasons I mentioned above.

Syclopse likes this.
  6. BetaGuy64

Like I said though, the nature of this forum would make a better search engine pretty appropriate. I don't think this would be an "overkill" kind of situation. Maybe a bit more activity would be a sort of incentive to implement better features. Otherwise the forum is probably fine as it is, but it's just odd that a forum like this has such an inadequate search feature.
    Maybe Kevin will come out of hiding and hold us over for a few extra months and allow the dam of users to break through and give us a little boost in relevancy

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I'm describing it as being overkill because it's really a search solution designed for very large datasets, and has a lot of functionality that's simply not needed for a forum search application - plus it's a cloud hosted subscription service which involves ongoing costs.

You can write a perfectly functional search system using the tools built into PHP (in fact, it has an ported implementation of the same Lucene search toolkit that elasticsearch is built on top of) - I have, and it took me about 3 days despite my lack of experience with PHP.

BetaGuy64 likes this.