Best way to preserve CD-R dev discs

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Diablodin, Jan 2, 2017.

1. VerticalE

VerticalE Spirited Member

Trenger du hjelp med å dumpe så er det bare å fyre av en PM ;)

Reburning is not an option for me as my collection is > 1000 discs. It is also not easy to reburn NR discs or GD-R, so best scenario for me is to store 1:1 dumps on 25/50 GB bluray M-Discs (thinking 100 GB might narrow down drive compatibility). 50 GB is probably the best option as some discs are larger than 25 GB anyway. Bluray adoption and consequent drive availability will ensure access to the data stored on the BR M-Discs for at least 20-30 years. After that I'm sure I can upload the data to my cornea by burning it in with a laser or some other awesome future tech.

I might also consider encrypting the data in case of theft, like I have on my HD backup, which leads to another important aspect of preservation; off-site backup. Buy a HD, encrypt it, fill it with whatever needs to be saved and leave it at someone elses house. Just in case your house turns into coal or someone decides to break in.

Diablodin likes this.
  2. teddy

teddy Member

I would use a Linux boot disk and make an ISO with the dd command.

I'm not sure if how you control the speed of the DVD drive however take an MD5 hash of your ISO after it's created. Do 2 ISO backups at different speeds and compare the MD5 hash as well. If there is a difference in hash you know the speed setting is vital.

I suppprt posting to the net as well.

3. teddy

teddy Member

Just use mega.nz for encrypted cloud based backups. 50GB free. Enough to backup some goodies. Create multiple accounts if needed.

4. VerticalE

VerticalE Spirited Member

Right, because Mega will be there 10-15 years from now.

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Can't beat off-site, however if you don't any location to store them you'll have to think outside the box.

There's such thing as fireproof envelopes, they protect items up to a high temp. People use them for money here in Australia (our money is plastic) .

You could even get a 2.5" hard disk and store images on that, then pop that into a fireproof envelope. Then in something possibly waterproof.

Diablodin likes this.
  6. Diablodin

Diablodin Spirited Member

That sounds a bit technical. And I'd prefer a memory stick plus disc backups. I think that should be enough. The more standard but sturdy the better. But if it's a stronger and more stable option over time, I'd write it down.

I just don't* feel like spending money on an online service that can vanish any time. Not like any time, but you know. I'd rather have plenty physical backups stored at my dad's etc.

Good idea! Till now I've been thinking of putting the discs in a CD wallet holder with a couple of silica gel bags inside (for keeping moisture out), then put that in a plastic zipper bag and encase it in an acrylic case.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. pr0cess0r

pr0cess0r Spirited Member

one thing to consider is the quality of you burner to backup and burn your disc.

8. Diablodin

Yeah. I only have a pretty crap laptop, but I think I know someone who can help me out and/or lend me what I need to do the job.
    Anything within a burner I Should look for tho? Like f.ex. compatibility for such mediums as M-DISC, or perhaps laser strength or something? :)

9. TriState294

TriState294 Site supporter 2016

Probably not a good fit for the OP, but I (re)burn my backups in bulk with an autoloader. I use a Nimbie USB Plus. I just stack up the media, queue the job, and go to sleep. Hella expensive, but has saved me enough time to justify the purchase.

10. Diablodin

Wow, that looks so handy! But the machine also looks a bit cheaply made in design? Is it? Not that it actually should affect it's performance.
    I see the MBR-version is compatible with M-DISC as well, but holy hell. $900+!
    I don't know if this an option for me. I guess sending the discs in to a professional service will cost me less. But maybe if I'm lucky someone in my town owns one that I can borrow for some cash. So the tip is much appreciated! :)

11. TriState294

TriState294 Site supporter 2016

I explain it to people as my quirky beige CD robot. It's a pretty solid design that is very reliable once you get in tune with how to feed it discs properly and get your collector trays aligned properly. It does feel dated in construction and design, but not cheap. I call it quirky because everything has to be aligned pretty perfectly to prevent jamming, but it uses very minimal mechanics in comparison to competing products. Minimal mechanics = less points of failure and easier to service.

I bought a used DVD only model and replaced the drive with an M-Disc Blu-Ray drive myself. It was a bit of a pain in the ass to get a different drive aligned properly, but once I did, it was fine. I saved myself a couple hundred dollars and I don't have any particular concerns about future longevity of the unit.

Diablodin likes this.
  12. Diablodin

Cool! But cutting 2-300 off 900 is still way above what I can spend on a machine like this for a single backup run. But it's good to know it isn't overpriced junk that sometimes does the job. I might be able to borrow one.
    I don't think I'm able to get into chaning drive etc. Too afraid of messing it up. But I guess I can contact you if I ever need help with one? :)