Best Version of the Playstation?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by retrorgb, Jul 20, 2013.

1. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

That's very strange - I've used the PSone with both the Konami Justifier type guns and the Guncon, and had no problem (obviously, you need a video breakout cable for the guncon).

2. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

Hmm, one of guns I had was exactly Guncon-clone with composite breakout cable. Maybe there was compatibility problem with Resident Evil - Gun Survivor, because it's the only game, I was testing.
    From what I recall, it wasn't even about trying to shoot, when I was inserting gun into PSOne, it was like some button on controller was jammed, game stopped responding, and if I recall correctly, it was even a problem to boot a game with gun in slot.
    Unfortunately I don't have any gun currently to try it on my slim.

3. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

I was able to get 4 working Playstation's to test, each different models, all NTSC. I really wanted more units to test, but that's all I could do for now. I realize that's not the best scenario and this could all be a waste of time: What if I didn't get the model that "mattered", much like if I tested 10 different revision SNES systems, but none were a 1CHIP!?!? Still, it's better than nothing.

First, my speculative tests: I played the same game on each system for a few minutes each and they all looked the same. I usually have a good eye for this too: When testing Saturn and SNES systems, I could tell right away which one was better. They didn't need to be side-by-side, I could tell just by looking at it.

Second, I took pictures of each. Also, as ALWAYS, much effort was made to make sure each picture was taken IDENTICALLY, so nothing could effect the results. To my eyes, they all looked pretty much the same. Maybe the PSOne was slightly sharper, but it was a hair of a difference and certainly not something I'd notice during gameplay.

Please feel free to see for yourselves. Also, I included pictures of the circuit boards as well, so you can check out which chip was on each. Please let me know if there's a revision I didn't test that may have better RGB video output!!

http://retrorgb.com/ps1compare.zip

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

I don't think, that there is better RGB output. In case of RGB coder just amplifying and forwarding signal, so it's good, you see same picture quality :).

5. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I've got a random Playstation off eBay, cracked it open and it's a PU-20. If I understand the list that TriMesh posted earlier, this model board should still have the high quality audio of the launch models since it's got the separate DAC and doesn't have the RGB problems since it's below the PU-22 series? Is that right? I've compared the the board to my launch model JPN PS1, it this model also has the AKM brand DAC. The PS only used the one AKM DAC before the audio processing was rolled together with other components onto a single chip right? There weren't different versions of the AKM DAC were there?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. Asbrandt

Asbrandt Member

I gave retrorgb's images a good look and it seems to me the later models using the Rohm chip are a little brighter and a little duller than the earlier ones using the Sony chip, but it's a fairly small difference and I'd bet its hard to spot on a CRT.

7. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Yeah, the only difference I could see was that the PSONE had slightly brighter output. Of the chips I could see on the board, I didn't see any Rohm-branded ones. Granted, there's a lot more hiding under a shield that's attached to the board with a million solder points that I REEEEEALLY don't wanna remove, but this board should be early enough that it uses all Sony chips don't you think?

I'm kinda thinking I'm on to a winner here, it appears to be early enough that it has the best audio DAC and it's in much better condition than my JPN PS1. It's also pre-modded to boot! I've also heard that launch models have issues with their CD controller, so I might have avoided that issue too.

8. Asbrandt

Asbrandt Member

On an PU-20 or older board, it's a Sony-branded CXA1645. On retrorgb's PU-8 board, it's at lower-center-leftish, but it is under the shield.
    On a PU-22 or newer board it's a combined DAC and Encoder that isn't Rohm-branded, it's actually Sony-branded. On retrorgb's PU-22 board, it's near the upper left, I think under the shield.

9. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Hmmm, this board does indeed have a BA5977FP chip on it, what's the significance of this? Is this the video outputter... Thing? I thought this chip had something to do with the disk reading parts of the console?

10. Asbrandt

Asbrandt Member

Yes, that the video encoder, which handles the amplification of the source RGB and/or the encoding that into S-Video and Composite.
    The encoder chip used pretty directly affects video quality, with Sony chips considered the best, but the Rohm chips used in late PS1s and iirc all SNES' is just fine too.

You usually hear about bad encoders in the Genesis, which some Model 2's have the quite poor Samsung KA2195D encoder.
    The Fujitsu MB3514 also appears in some of them and is also inferior to the Sony's, but nowhere near as bad as the Samsung.

EDIT: Okay, I'm an idiot. That is a cd controller chip. Don't do technical stuff at 4 in the morning when you haven't slept, my deprived brain saw BA<stuff> and assumed video encoder.

11. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Woo! I was kinda correct about something technical! :D

Okay, so we're back to square one. I know this board has an AKM DAC, so aside from that, what else might make this version inferior to an earlier model? The AKM brand DAC used in the Playstation are all the same on all versions right? There's not an earlier version of the chip that's better or something like that is there?

12. master991

master991 Enthusiastic Member

PU 20 it's nothing special. It's a scph 700x series. The audio output it's only better than that craps PU22 and 23. But it's miles away from the PU7\8 and PU 18.

13. Asbrandt

Asbrandt Member

Fixed my post about the encoders, that way I don't accidentally trip up a future reader of the thread.
    I believe all of the older (PU-20-) all have the same DAC, but what could affect quality is any amplification circuitry between that DAC and the AV connector, which could be lower quality.

14. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Really? Even though it's got the seperate AKM DAC?

15. master991

16. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Hmmm, what specifically makes the early models better, despite using the same DAC?

17. master991

Noting more, indeed, plus is older model plus they have more problem. I think a good model it's 550X series. Best audio (not as the 100X) "mature" enogh to have very few problems. But in optical reading the best are the 750X series.

18. YouDaMoose

YouDaMoose Member

The original system with the CRT Monitor and composite cables are the only way to play these classics

19. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I don't quite follow you... You're saying the early models, have the very same DAC as the model I have and nothing more? Again, what gives the earlier models better audio aside from the AKM DAC? :\

Eeeeeeew! Composite!

20. master991

Composite? LOOOOL
    RGB for life mate :p

Where i have wrote that the early models have the same DAC? Every motherboard revision (sometimes the same motherboard revision also) have different component, including DAC.
    The audio difference it isn't only in DAC but, for example in the entire audio output stage.
    For me 100X have only better audio, but stop. With some game have also graphical glitch.
    This stupid story of audio with the contribute of audiophile, that destroy this model models for theyr experiment and mods, helping that model to be much more expensive.