Best Version of the Playstation?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by retrorgb, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Zombie250

Zombie250 <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

I personally use three different PS1's: SCPH-10001, Net Yaroze, DTL-H1001. Of them I use the DTL-H1001 the most. It's region free, plays back-ups, and is a cool blue color. I also have a green debug PS1 that is non functional, so I can't give comments there.

Speaking of chips, I buy mine from www.eurasia.nu for $4 with free shipping, though it takes a week to get here. If you can't handle the install, there are quite a few users here who could install it for you.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Those chips are also sold by me, but aren't the topic of conversation as they don't support stealth on the scph-100x

But mine are £2.50 plus £2 for international shipping. So mine work out slightly more expensive for 1 but cheaper if you order a few things. Mine also come on a PCB to look tidy, rather than just a chip you bend the legs on

3. Zombie250

Zombie250 <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

That sounds much better. Do they offer 100% stealth? I've noticed on my SCPH-1000 and SCPH1001 that anti-mod games still crash to the "modified console" screen.

4. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

What I meant was I was under the impression that all programmable chips were, well, as cheap as chips due to their versatile-ness. i.e they're used in a lots of different electronics so they're produced cheaply in bulk. But when you said "(relatively) expensive" I was thinking they were going to be $50+ or something :p £4.50 sounds good to me!

What do they look like? I'm trying to get an idea of what installation will be like. A chip in the center of a board with solder points on the outside or something? Are the solder points marked?

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Thats why I said relatively expensive, rather than expensive.

£4.50 isnt a lot of money, but its nearly a 100% increase on the other PS1 chips I sell - hence my comment :)

The chip is a 14 pin dip chip, there is no PCB for the Mayumi v2.1 chips (to be honest, this will be the 4th I have ever sold - so its not worth it). You just connect the leg number to the point numbered on the install pic in this thead.

6. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

SCPH-750X.

7. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

Why?

8. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

I've started to get a few consoles in from different friends for testing. Unfortunately, the SCPH-1001 I got won't read discs (must have gotten damaged) and the PSOne looks TERRIBLE...it almost looks like a 480i image, not a 240p. I'm assuming that one must have something wrong with it. Hopefully, I'll get at least 5 more in the next few days (both PS1 and PSOne).

Either way, I hope there's a clear winner. I'll post with pictures once I get real tests started.

Also, sadly, it looks like I'll only be able to test NTSC systems. It costs too much to ship things between Europe and the US to have a bunch of PAL consoles sent over.

9. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Ah, I see!

Wait, if this chip has 14 pins, how can there be a 16th pin like in the installation diagram?

Okay, I've just won a SCPH-1000 PS1 on Yahoo! Auctions, boxed and in really great condition for the mighty price of... 1300 yen. And no one else bothered to bid on it. I love Yahoo! Auctions, unlike eBay the users aren't a bunch of mad chimpanzees throwing money instead of poo :p

10. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

Probably because it was the last version to have a parallel port, so you get the reliability of the SCPH-900x consoles with the functionality of the earlier consoles.

11. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Isn't the reliability of the SCPH-900x series down to just the redesigned laser assembly? Which you get on an earlier console if you do the laser swap we've been talking about in this thread?

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

18 pin dip chip*

13. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Ah, that makes more sense!

How would you recommend it be installed? Straighten out the legs, hot glue the chip somewhere on the mainboard and solder the wires to it?

14. Zer0-2k11

Zer0-2k11 Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Thats the best idea, I've done the install about 3 weeks ago, for the wiring of "4,10 or 4,10 5,14 " I would expose 2 spots on the wire and link em on the chip instead of running 2 wires to the point..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  15. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

This is clear emulation, which is inferior comparing to real PSX.

16. superg

I have spend a lot of time to select best PSX version for myself. Every version has it's problems.
    SCPH-5903 is most feature rich, because it has Video CD circuit, serial and parallel port.
    All of revisions <= SCPH-5000 have FMV issues, thus I wouldn't recommend these.
    First edition SCPH-100X is very problematic, because it has problems with CD driver, due to incorrect circuit.
    In my experience I had a lot of these models with burned cd driver.
    Yes, SCPH-100X has good DAC chip, which at that time was used in expensive CD audio players.
    However, a lot of people doesn't understand, that to fully use it's potential and to hear a difference you really need to replace a lot of other components in sound circuit, check this out: http://dogbreath.de/PS1/output/output.html
    Regarding encoders, CXA or not - doesn't matter, if you're using RGB all the time. Encoders just amplify RGB signal a little and pass-through it.
    Stay away of SLIM PSOne models, they are incompatible with light guns.

Personally for myself I am using SCPH-7502, which is latest FAT model with serial and parallel ports.

17. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

Wow, I never heard that before! Have you tested this yourself? This might sound silly, but I really enjoy the original Lethal Enforcers and the PlayStation seems to have the best version. I wouldn't want to own a PSX that wouldn't work with it!

The serial and parallel ports seem like more of a dev thing and less to actually play games:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...se-of-the-Playstation-serial-and-parallel-I-O

18. superg

I had like 3 PSOne's (still have one around), and neither of them was working with two of guns I had. I tested it on Resident Evil: Gun Survivor, and initially I thought that guns are dead, but then I tried same on FAT PSX, and it was working ok. However I didn't found any info on PSOne gun compatibility on the net.

Currently there is thing called PSIO in development, kinda like ISO loader from SD card, and it'll be connected to parallel port. Dunno if you're interested in this thing, but if you do, you'll need parallel port ;)

19. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You can solder in the PSIO apparently.

20. superg

Agree, but I'd prefer just to have it as accessory.