Best Version of the Playstation?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by retrorgb, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

In my experience, yes.

If you are going to the effort to get the best laser, then buy a repro that isnt the best...

If you really want to - buy a console, buy a repro laser unit and swap it. Keeping the original for your SCPH-1002

2. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

At least that would get the second console working again. Though I'd still need to source a PSONE, and I've never seen consoles at any boot sale/garage sale I've been to. Sucks to be Australian at the best of times :p Looks like I'd need to get one off the internet.

3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Bad has a point, if you go ahead grab a genuine cd-lens kit and buy a reproduction. Swap the parts over and sell the unit again on eBay you'll be better off, that way you haven't really destroyed another system.

4. omp

omp Familiar Face

I bought a few of those "ebay" playstation lasers, all different revisions. When they got here all that was different was the top plate and ribbon cable. What i mean is i specifically got the correct revision for my scph-1002 as well as a psone laser and it was identical apart from the top plate.

So to me it seems they cloned one laser and just swap the ribbon cable and top to suit.

5. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Is there anything I should know if I brought an NTSC-J Playstation and chipped it to play PAL and NTSC games? Like, do they have problems like incorrect color like playing NTSC games on a modded PAL console? It seems like I can get SCPH-1000 consoles quite cheap from Japan, which also means I'll be able to plug it to the one power strip with the rest of my consoles instead of having a run an extension cord to mains :p

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

With the SCPH-1000, it will work correctly in both modes if you use a RGB cable - if you use composite, then the PAL games will play in black and white.

With the later models (SCPH-3000 and on), it gets more difficult. First of all, the later Japanese machines have a territory check in the BIOS, so even if you modchip them they will only boot Japanese games - you can get around this by using a boot disc or burning a copy that has the NTSC:U/C or PAL license data replaced by the license data from an NTSC:J disc, though.

There are also some models with PU-8 boards that just lock up when you switch them to PAL mode because there is no PAL clock input on the GPU - although you can fix this fairly easily by moving a zero-ohm link on the back of the board. These are late SCPH-3000 and most SCPH-5000 machines, and also have the annoying territory checking BIOS.

7. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

So if I get a SCPH-1000 model, stick in a ONEchip in it and connect it with an RGB SCART cable, everything should be hunky-dory?

8. TriMesh

If you can get hold of one, using one of the old Mayumi chips is probably a better idea - they are about the only things that can work in stealth mode in a SCPH-1000. Using something like a ONEchip will work, but it will just operate in 4 wire mode, and will have problems with anti-mod games.

9. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Really? Dang, I was hoping I could use a ONEchip since the installation looked to be quick and easy. Is the installation proceedure for a Mayumi similar? Do any of the forum members have them (i.e Bad_Ad)?

10. omp

omp Familiar Face

I use my aussie ps1 scph-1002 with the few japanese games. I had to modify the video encoder (typical cxa-1645 thing) to play in colour, but it wasn't to hard and now works fine.

11. TriMesh

The install for the 2.1 Mayumi is quite complex - I don't know if Bad_Ad has them, but since it's just a 16F84, I'm sure he could program one if you asked him.

v21_pu7.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

ONEchip patches the bios on a PAL PSone. you dont really want to use it for anything else.

And yes, I can supply a Mayumi v2.1

13. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

You had to also install a modchip as well I take it? Is your console subject to the same stealth problems that TriMesh described?

The majority of those are big-ass solder points, about the only tricky one is point 5. What's "4, 14"? Do you have to solder 2 wires to the same point? Also, why are there no points 1-4? :\

Ah OK then.

Cool, how much for one of those?

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

4, 14 are indeed 2 wires (you can just link them on the pic, then run 1 wire to the pad though).

Other pins are just not used.

Price is (relatively) expensive - the chips cost a lot (not like hundreds, but at least 200-300% more) more than the 12x50x chips

15. TriMesh

Yeah, both wires go to the same place - pin 14 is the +ve power supply, and pin 4 is the RESET/ input - since this is an old PIC you have to tie it high externally.

It's not necessary, but pins 1 and 2 are mode indicator outputs - you can connect 2 LEDs to them to show what mode the chip is switched to - just wire the cathodes of the LEDs to the pins and connect the anodes via 330R resistors to +3.3V. This can be quite useful, since the Mayumi code doesn't reset the operating mode when you power the console off (It's stored in EEPROM).

16. PSPdemon

PSPdemon Peppy Member

So am I to understand that if you are trying to put the best laser in a ps1 ( SCPH-1001 here )...get a reproduction laser kit, replace the lens and such with PSone parts and slap it in to the ps1 and you are good to go?

Is it hard? as I have a slightly damaged PSone I could salvage the laser off of ( as that works perfectly ) for such a project...

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Not quite. If you have a dead donor psone there is no need to buy anything else. The whole laser unit swaps in. You just need to change the top plastic plate.

Only reason buying a repro as well was to leave the donor psone working (with the 3rd party laser unit)

18. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

19. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

"link them on the pic"? Like, bridge the two points on the modchip then run a single wire from one of them?

Er... How much are we talking? I was under the impression that the Mayumi modchip was a plane-jane programmable chip, not a special modchip like the Modbo.

That sounds pretty cool, but I don't think it would be very useful to me. So long as it makes the console play my locals and imports, it's all the same to me ;)

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

All programmable chips do not cost the same, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean?

The cost price of the 16f84 is about 3x more than the chips used in the other modchips.

Probably looking at like £4.50 + shipping, when my normal ps1 chips are only 2.50. Ideally I should charge more as this isn't far off cost price