Best Version of the Playstation?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by retrorgb, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Thats not what he said at all.

I have seen a noticeable difference in quality on some models, I never really paid attention to what was the deciding factor. But I am almost certain it was earlier units vs later and this is one of the known changes.

Just because RGB passes through the CXA chip, doesnt mean thats what it does on the replacement used later on - which could make the quality worse.

So its not that the CXA is better (as its not doing anything), its that the other is worse.

However, like I did say originally - this is all from (a rather poor) memory and certainly deserves proper investigation.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Ah, OK. Sounds like an early model is still the best idea.

3. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Almost anything we're aware of. I don't know about models from Korea, China, Brazil...

What I believe doesn't output RGB is the PSX DVR.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The PSX DVR is a PS2.

PSX in fireaza's post is in the PS1 context (as that was its codename and commonly used in magazines in europe at least).

5. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I used to say "PS1" but everyone kept confusing it with the PSOne :p

6. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Yes this is correct. But at the same time, your LCD may not support 240p. Unless you are using a CRT

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

If you really want to do quality checks, they should be based on the type of the main logic board, and not the console part number because there are quite a few cases where they don't exactly line up.

For the original PSX, there are 5 basic boards

PU-7: Used in very early SCPH-1000 and SCPH-1001 models. Allegedly used in some early SCPH-1002s and SCPH-3000s, too - but I've never seen it.
    PU-8: Used in SCPH-3000, later SCPH-1001s and SCPH-1002s. Note there are two variants of this board - the earliest one with a 1-658-467-1x P/N is very similar to the PU-7 (40 pin boot ROM, 80 pin mechacon and the old CXD8514Q GPU) - the later ones have a 32 pin boot ROM, 52 pin mechacon and the new GPU.
    PU-18: Similar to PU-8, but has new CD controller with improved digital servo (and hence only one servo adjust pot) - this is also the revision that the RCA jacks were removed from the rear panel.
    PU-20: Like PU-18, but with the CD-controller and CD-decoder in one chip. Still has a separate DSP.
    PU-22: Heavily redesigned - probably mostly for cost reduction. Notable changes include that the CD controller + CD decoder + Audio DSP are merged into a single chip, the system RAM is merged into a single chip, the clock generation is changed to use one xtal and a PLL chip and the video out is changed from the original Video DAC + Encoder arrangement to a single Rohm chip that has both the DAC and the encoder in it.
    PU-23: Basically identical to the PU-22, except it's smaller and doesn't have the external expansion port.

My subjective impression is that the PU-22 and PU-23 units produce poorer video than the earlier ones, especially in RGB mode. I don't know if this is because of the changes to the video DAC or because of additional phase noise on the clocks because they are derived from a PLL, though.

Finally, the original release of the PSone was basically identical to the PU-23, although later revisions have simplified it even more.

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

PU-20 too

9. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Daym, you're right - how did I forget that. Still, it was all about 10 years ago I was modding these things...

Edit: added to original post

10. yoshifan333

yoshifan333 Member

The original PAL-PS2 can't play DVD-movies or PS1-games with a component cable.

11. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

There were some graphic errata with early model systems would could cause a degraded image. You should be able to google the info, though you're going to have to wade through a lot of PS2/PS3 info as well.

One thing to keep in mind (when considering playing on a PS2/PS3) is that the video processing will result in a frame or two of lag getting added (versus using the original hardware).

BC is a convenience for users, but if you're going to the trouble of making an ideal RGB setup, then those extra frames of processing should immediately disqualify both the PS3 and PS3 as options.

12. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Oh? This could be interesting news.

13. yoshifan333

yoshifan333 Member

It says (Cannot display this signal) on the screen.

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Are you sure thats not just your TV not supporting 240p over component, like mentioned in this thread several times?

15. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

Thanks, but I actually meant to ask if you could explain why using a later model laser is important.

Thanks for all the info! I'll include board revisions, as well as model numbers in my tests.

16. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

I'll at some point need to figure out the best version of the PS2 as well. Should I start a new thread, or does everyone think this is the place to discuss it?

(for the record, I promise this will be the last "best of" question...I'm pretty sure I'm on top of most other classic systems)

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The original laser units in the early consoles have plastic runners and such. With the heat of the PSU in the case (and the laser unit being in close proximity) it causes it to warp. Resulting in the console not booting games unless turned upside down.

The PSone laser unit fits as a direct replacement (just swap the top plastic - 2 screws iirc) and you get the best laser unit for the PSone in the arguably the best revision of the console.

18. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

Wow, that's great info. PSOne systems sell for only $20 at the stores near me, so it seems like a great fix should my SHCPH-1001 ever die!

19. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

I only have a v12 scph-70001 Slim PSTwo. I like it because there is a modchip made just for it still available : the Modbo 760. Easy installation with ~10 quick solder points.

Slim design, smaller!

Compatible with FCMB.

Also you can mod the console to install an external IDE and/or SATA port to the console. You can get the same performance of Fat consoles with an HDD by buying these 2 units:
    http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=80

http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=50

That's what I did and it works great!

The only draw back is that if you want to use disc medias, the v12 needs additional protection to its laser mechanism or it'll burn. You can buy the fix here: http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info.php?products_id=274

or make it yourself by programming a PIC 12C508A or 12F508. The code is on PSX-Scene forums if I remember well.

EDIT: Check Eurasia downloads for Comsoft and Albert FIX VIII if you want to make your own!

20. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Well he mentioned DVD too.