Best technical achievements on consoles

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by proarturs, Apr 18, 2015.

1. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I've been playing Tales of Phantasia on my SNES recently, and that game has blown me away. The intro song has a full set of lyrics, tons of other voice samples like the chick yelling her mana spells like in newer games (Faasto Aiido!) the graphics are amazingly detailed (shadow effects, loads of animation on all sorts of objects, lightning through windows in buildings), and an amazing soundtrack. Been very impressed.

Nights on the Saturn always impressed me. One thing that jumped out is when I unlocked Reala in the Christmas version. The character model has individual fingers! That's amazing with all the other stuff going on while in game, and still smooth framerate.

Metal Storm on the NES looks pretty damn snazzy. Very smooth animation (dying in a game has never looked cooler), multiple layers of background scrolling, large bosses with big explosions.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. proarturs

proarturs The force is with me

Speaking about the Gameboy, I think that Super Mario Land 2 was also very impressive, especially when you compare it to the first Super Mario Land.
    I do think that the Gameboy was capable of more than most devs used it for and Super Mario Land 2 is a perfect example.

lemmywinks likes this.
  3. link2rage

link2rage Active Member

uncharted 2 (ps3), okami (ps2), but the best one is donkey kong country (snes)

4. gladders

gladders Robust Member

Rescue on Fractalus! Always looked amazing given the limitations of the technology of the day.

5. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Spirited Member

In no particular order:

Ultima IV on the Master System. Huge open world, multiple modes of transport, full cities to explore full of characters and the decisions you make along the way affect the game. It's basically Skyrim only better, decades earlier and 8bit.

Shantae on GBC. Truly amazing what Wayforward were able to do with the GBC, pretty much the pinnacle of handheld platforming excellence.

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I'm not really a fan of the technical acheivements, although it does squeeze a lot of of the PS2 it can look grainy as it chugs along at a sub par framerate. It's the art direction, immersion and atmosphere that gets me here, the world and it's few inhabitants are startlingly believeable and it seems like everything there has a purpose and exists instead of just being a randomly placed set of polygons to take up screen space. One of the few games where I actually started to care for the characters which is pretty impressive given the sparse plot.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption on Wii. Same as above really, the art direction makes this one stand out for me. The Prime series has always had great atmosphere but this one showed that the Wii could produce great looking games.

Race Drivin on Gameboy. A 3D polygon racer on the Gameboy? It kinda chugs but it's better than the Snes, SMD and Lynx ports by quite a margin. It controls properly for a start and once you get some speed up it's actually very enjoyable. I think I'm on my own with this one though.

VRally 3 on the GBA. Best looking 3D on the system period, amazing track detail and a good racing engine make for the best realistic racer on the system.

Iridion 2 on the GBA. Just look at it, it's amazing. Also Shin'en's Nanostray games and Nano Assault are beautiful games.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  6. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

F-Zero GX on the GameCube. Play that thing through a component cable and you won't believe your eyes. I still think it's one of the most graphically complex games of the 6th generation of consoles.

7. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages & Seasons comes to mind that takes some advantage of the GBA system.

Example: A new shop that recently wasn't there on the GBC hardware

8. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Too bad They couldn't release the originally planned 3 Zelda GBC games because it would have been too complex to share game data between 3. They saved 2 and released them as Oracle of Ages and Season.

9. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

The Fact the XBOX was almost a generation ahead of anything else on the market at that time.

Panzer Dragoon Orta, DOA3 and DOA Ultimate STILL look amazing to this day.

10. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

All of these are on the Mega Drive.
    Mickey Mania, Toy Story, Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes - Graphics, most of these defied Mega Drive's colour palette (especially Dynamite Headdy, omg) limitations and even implemented 3D elements on a 16bit console without additional hardware like SuperFX or Sega VR chips.
    Pulseman - for the almost perfect and impressive voice audio and once again beautiful colours.
    Wolfenstein - 3d fps on the 16bit mega drive, no expansion hw. Awesome.

11. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

The Xbox was the first console to use off the shelf PC parts to basically be a PC console. It made games a lot easier to develop for (which is why it had such a large library compared to the GC (the PS2 was so popular everyone needed to make stuff for it)) and yeah, it was super powerful, especially compared to the PS2, as the GC was actually stronger than Sony's box (if just using smaller media, again).

Though, DOA2 looked really damn good on the Dreamcast too, I mean, it wasn't a massive improvement.

12. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Someone else mentioned it, but here's a video of Zero Tolerance in action. Notice the blood splatter on the walls, fascinating attention to detail for a Mega Drive FPS!

13. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Didn't the Pippin beat it by a few years?

DOA2 ultimate was quite a graphical leap. Though the HG101 article would have you think DOA2 on PS2 looks just as good as the Dreamcast version. Which it doesn't (Contrast is too high and it's a bit jaggy)

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/doa/doa3.htm

14. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Well that's silly. I forgot about the Pippin, though that was a MAC console, back when Macs and PCs were actually different. But semantics.

15. speedyink

You're not alone. I still fire up that game in the 'ol Gameboy Light from time to time, just to marvel at the fact I'm looking at polygons on original gameboy hardware. Plus, just like you mentioned, it's possible to race at high speeds unlike the other versions of the game, so you actually get to do multiple laps after a little practice.

I also like X. Not quite the filled polygons of Race Drivin, but still technically impressive and presented very nicely.

lemmywinks likes this.
  16. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Spirited Member

I could never really get past the first part of X, must give it another go when my Android handheld turns up.

The Gameboy had some terriffic shooters, apart from the previously mentioned Zas it had excellent ports of R-Type (albeit on two carts) and Gradius which were both really impressive. R-Type DX is a great cart to own, played the hell out of that!

17. stranno

stranno Enthusiastic Member

Yep.

18. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

I thought Iridion II on the GBA was pretty impressive at the time.

Vortex on the SNES, while not a terribly great game, was graphically neat.

Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn was pretty slick.

19. speedyink

I haven't by any means beat it, but I can beat the first few levels. Not being able to read Japanese doesn't help, lol

20. Garrethking

Garrethking Rapidly Rising Member

Blast processing for sure!

sonicsean89 and americandad like this.