Best SNES revision

Discussion in 'Super Everdrive' started by gray.fullbusterzzz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. roachie

roachie Newly Registered

IMG_20140830_224130.jpg

Whoops! Very hard to see otherwise. Seems like a few also...

I blame the TV haha

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  2. FirebrandX

FirebrandX Member

Just got in a USA SNES from ebay. Serial # is UN320962590. Board revision is a 1CHIP-03. Minor display glitches in Demon's Crest and Super G'NG confirmed from my own library. I'm hesitant to buy the older original boards like the CPU-01 because they are starting to fail with corrupted graphics. I have two older console revisions that have screwed up scaling and rotation now from old age. I suspect this will become more and more the case as time goes on. In fact I recently had to return an older model from an ebay auction as once again, the scaling and rotation functions were corrupted. In Pilotwings, the altitude meter will be corrupted. In Link to the Past, the opening triforce will often be completely missing, and the draw bridge in Castlevania IV will behave erratically. These are some examples of console graphic corruption (not to be confused with dirty lead corruption), and the behavior will be different and unique in each case.

Edit: BTW, my 1CHIP-03 has no visible center stripe. I did several tests, including with FF3, and could not see it. By comparison, my APU revision SNES has a blatant center stripe.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  3. Pulsar

Pulsar Spirited Member

Quick question, and this seems the best place to ask it though slightly off topic.

How about the super famicom? I currently have a snes, bit its yellowed, case brittle and chiping apart, and honestly I just like the looks of the super famicom 100x more.

I did a search about best super famicom consoles, and get no results like the super Nintendo. Is there as many different versions to look for in a super famicom and Jr versions or what?

I'd hate to randomly buy a super famicom and find out it has worse graphics than another I could have easily got if I knew what I was looking for.

4. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

Afaict the SFC has gone through the same revisions as the US SNES, including a 'Jr' version. (PAL territories stopped getting updates after the '1CHIP' models.)

The cues to differentiate between models ("dots of doom" vs "rings of great success" and whatnot) are probably very different though; I usually try to go by serial numbers instead.

5. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

470uf capacitor on the output of the 7805 will fix the annoying vertical line in the center of the screen. Just for anyone that doesn't know

6. antilosa

antilosa Rising Member

Thank you very much for this information!

7. Strogen

Strogen Spirited Member

Worked for me.

8. Klutch

Klutch Newly Registered

Im new here and came here looking in a search for darthcloud. His spreadsheet for snes numbers has been my only way of finding 1chip snes and I was wondering if he might be interested in trying to expand this spreadsheet. I have a un305ish that is an apu revision that potentially helps close the gap towards the 1chip start. I also found a 01 02 and 03 within 2 months thanks to his initial work. If anyone can convince him to expand the sheet with more numbers it would be awesome. I will gladly post my numbers to add. I was hoping he would consider it or give me permission to use his original work, so we can or I can get a better understanding of where each revision starts. I am curious if when a new revision starts at a certain number does it ever revert to an earlier 1chip revision as the numbers grow forward. Also I want to see if numbers can prove case swaps. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  9. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

10. Sp33dFr34k

Any ideas?

11. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

"Best" is kinda subjective; the THS should be sharpest, fwiw.

12. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

This is interesting.

13. kikujade

kikujade Member

I wanted to share this here as it seems like the best place for this topic.

These 4 snes models have horrible patterns when using them on RGB:

SNS-CPU-APU-01
    SNS-CPU-APU-02
    SNS-CPU-RGB-01
    SNS-CPU-RGB-02

To fix it, lift pin 3 (subcarrier) of PPU2. Pull it out of circuit (with its resistor) and terminate it directly to the video encoder. (thanks to voultar for this!)

Attached Files:

Sp33dFr34k likes this.
  14. Sp33dFr34k

Interesting! Do you have a pic of this fix? :)

Pikmin likes this.
  15. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

I don't think there is an APU-02 model is there?
    So the interference is gathered somewhere between PPU2 and the video encoder?

16. phillip

phillip Active Member

I'm using a 1Chip-01 SNES with HDRetrovision Component cables outputting to a Sony KV-27FV310. I've added 750 ohm resistors to the RGB lines as per http://www.retrorgb.com/snes1chip.html.

I have zero problems/complaints on visual quality. No vertical line, very sharp image, beautiful color and detail.