best replacement joysticks

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by luke9511, Aug 10, 2018.

1. luke9511

luke9511 Active Member

hey everyone what place has the best replacement joysticks for, original xbox, playstation 1/2/3 etc controllers? i dont just mean the cover, the whole assembly that you have to solder in?

2. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Intrepid Member

Buy broken ones with other problems and use for parts, just remember that there are at least 3 versions of the ps3 ones and there is the early variant for ps1 with a metal shaft.

3. luke9511

luke9511 Active Member

i wouldnt want to do that cause then i would try and fix whats wrong with the broken ones unless it is the plastic shell

4. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Intrepid Member

The issue is that the most common failure of ps2 controllers is the flexboard and many are not repairable, they make great donors for ps1/2 and Xbox. Ps3 controller are a mess to deal with either way and are usually not worth the trouble. I do this as a routine part of my repair business, if I get one with a bad flex board I desolder the cable and the sticks and trash the rest unless it is an uncommon variant. I don’t see many bad sticks to begin with except on Xbox 360, Xbox one and on the Sixaxis controllers for ps3.

5. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

Those original Sixaxis controllers did not age well. Those joysticks got worn out way too easily and were also a nightmare to open up.

luke9511 likes this.