"Best" PS2 model?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by APE, Nov 24, 2018.

1. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I've got a few DSM4 SE Pro modchips I'd like to install and sell but I want them in the best model. I know the v3 and below have trash for optics and I don't like the slims for the lack of a space for HDDs. My daily driver is a v8 I believe which has treated me well overall.

Is this a version that requires a fix for the laser coils burning out? Does anyone know what a definitive fix is beyond limiting the voltage to the thing?

2. Aurshur

Aurshur Newly Registered

My understanding is that v7 (scph 3900x) is the best of the fats for reliability and it isn't prone to the laser coil burnout.

3. steocullen91

steocullen91 Rising Member

With so many models, I'm not entirely sure myself, but is a v6 (SCPH-3000x) prone to any issues? I've heard the v7 is the best myself, but the NTSC board I ordered for my spare PS2 is a v6.

I know about the eeprom reflashing utility for the type of laser you have and I'll be using that too.

4. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

What about the "worst" ones that can be ruled out? Like the SCPH-90000 series that won't work with FMCB.

5. helakustorm

helakustorm Robust Member

If you have a Modbo chip installed you can use FMCB.
    I've personally tested and is working.
    About the title of the thread from my point of view for FAT the best is SCPH-500xx and for SLIM the best is SCPH-900XX.

6. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

I should have specified "won't work unless you have a modchip installed", but yeah.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

You're referring to the stuff that happens to the SCPH-50000 and so on, due to modding right? The "v8" is a SCPH-39000 series.

8. psydefx

psydefx Robust Member

some 90000 series ps2s do support fmcb. ive got two myself, they are the silver editions with datecode 8b. ive yet to find a compatible black version though

Mord.Fustang likes this.
  9. steocullen91

steocullen91 Rising Member

I heard a few people mention for the fat consoles, that the pre 50000 models are better and that they were manufactured in Japan instead of China. I know the 50000 models have quieter fans, but that's literally just a fan. Anyone could just put a resistor on a fan in a pre 50000 system if they want it to be as quiet as that one.

10. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It's a mistake to assume it only happens with modified consoles - I've seen completely stock consoles that still had intact warranty seals with the coils in the lens positioner burnt out without any other electronic failure (I.E. the BTL driver chip was still OK, so the problem must have been caused by the mechacon crashing).

It does seem a lot more common on modded units, though.

11. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

I stand behind this as well.... my SCPH-3900X works well and the heaviest due to the metal enclosure and cooling.

12. HaloSlayer255

HaloSlayer255 Active Member

That would be the 5000x series of the ps2. Most common method was romeo mod, but I and another member have tried back porting the comsoft fix to the 5000x series. Can be found in this thread https://assemblergames.com/threads/matrix-pic-fix-for-v9-and-v10-systems.69214/

Still havent tested, still need to send the files to a pcb manufacturer. If anyone wants to test those files and pcb feel free. Dont have the time atm.

If you want the ps2 to native boot anti mod ps1 games the v9 and up is the only option, unless dms does something different.

13. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

I too believe v7 is the most reliable. SCPH-39001. Maybe others in the v7 family.

14. Sloth

Sloth Active Member

Didn't there use to be an aftermarket shell that included space for the HDD?

One of many cool aftermarket parts I wish I'd have bought at the time and now can't find for love nor money, like the Gamecube shells that fit full-size DVDs and the XBOX cases that gave extra space for additional HDDs (I'm sure I didn't imagine that last one but I can't find anything online about it now).

15. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It's only useful for the SCPH-70000, which had the lines for ATA still present. The SCPH-75000 and later also had a mod like that, but it was a hardware mod that added an external ATA controller to the system, which (unfortunately) only supported PIO.

Sloth likes this.