Best PlayStation 1 model?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by ollidab, Apr 23, 2014.

1. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Not that I know of - it's a mod I came up with myself (although it's obvious enough that I'm sure other people have thought of it) - I did take a bunch of photos when I first did it, so I will see if I can find them.

2. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Would performing the "color fix" mod have the same effect? I just want the correct timing in my SCPH-5552 for NTSC if possible.

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=444

Found this here, though I see that the models shown are later ones that use PAL60 instead.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. TriMesh

No, those later boards (PU-20 on) have the same issue as the older ones.

All that mod is doing is forcing the video encoder to output PAL all the time. Since the color subcarrier is derived from the clock synthesizer (rather than the GPU) in those models it's fixed too, and the end result is this (for a PAL console)

Pre mod:

PAL: 4.43MHz subcarrier / PAL encoding / 50Hz frame rate (I.E. proper PAL)
    NTSC: 4.43MHz subcarrier / NTSC encoding / 60Hz framerate* (I.E. NTSC 4.43)

Post mod:

PAL: 4.43MHz subcarrier / PAL encoding / 50Hz frame rate (I.E. proper PAL)
    NTSC: 4.43MHz subcarrier / PAL encoding / 60Hz framerate* (I.E. PAL 60)

* = almost 60Hz - has the same 1% error described before.

The reason this mod is useful is that a lot of European VCRs used to output PAL60 when you played NTSC tapes on them, so it's a format that most TVs will be able to display.

Note that although you can do the same mod the other way around on a NTSC console the result is not that useful - it all works as expected on a technical level, but the resulting output format (NTSC with CCIR frame rates) is not something that most TVs can make any sense of.

4. Segata Sanshiro

Ah too bad.

I would appreciate any information that would allow me to replicate the modification you performed regarding correct NTSC clocks.

5. NeC5552

NeC5552 All your skullz are belong to us.

IIRC only DScaler knows dealing with NTSC 50.

6. DigitalElixir

DigitalElixir Member

Apologies if this has been already discussed earlier in the thread but where does the PSone stand in terms of RGB quality?

I checked my slim model and I have the SCPH-101. I'm using a BVM20E1U and from what I can tell the image is a bit darker than usual, although I still need to adjust the values on the BVM. I've also noticed a strange flicker or jumping on the image when displaying 240p content on the crt, usually when sitting rather close...though that might be the BVM, or maybe it's the PsOne?

I guess my question is this: Is it really worth hunting down some of the older PS1 Models mentioned earlier in the the thread? Or should I stop being so finicky and just play some awesome ps1 games on my psone and call it good :p

7. gunderson

gunderson Active Member

I remember reading on shmups forum about a few users having "jitter" issues with 240p content on their BVMs.

8. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

The PSOne BIOS if you look closely seems to jitter I think because it's running in 480i. But most games aren't going to be running in 480 line modes.

I use a PSOne and a PVM monitor. I don't notice any jitter or anything in games I play. Just the BIOS menu if I remember right.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  9. Segata Sanshiro

Quick question.

Will a PAL Net Yaroze/Debug machine play NTSC and PAL stuff without issue?

10. TriMesh

OK, here is the mod to get 100% correct PAL and NTSC out of a PU-18 board. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

All Yaroze machines are genuine multi-standard, and will play both PAL and NTSC games with correct timing and the correct video signals. The PAL debug machines will boot NTSC discs without problems, but they have the same "run at the wrong speed" problem that PAL retail machines have in NTSC mode.

There were allegedly some debug machines made for trade shows that had grey cases and supported both PAL and NTSC, with a correct signal, but all the ones I've seen didn't.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  11. Segata Sanshiro

Good job I didn't bid on that Net Yaroze then.

I actually purchased a SCPH-5500 for like £15 posted from Japan this weekend so I'll transplant my modchip and power supply from my 5552 into that.

12. TriMesh

I assume your other console is PAL? In that case, the modchip will almost certainly not work because it's outputting the wrong SCEx string (SCEE rather than SCEI).

13. master991

master991 Enthusiastic Member

Depends, if it's an very old mm (<2.xx) or an oldcrow it works.

14. Segata Sanshiro

Was an MM3 modded by Bad_Ad84. Worst comes to worst I pay him a few quid for a new chip. No biggie. :)

I'd need an MM3 with SCEI string then? Any better solutions?

15. TriMesh

MM3 is fine, so is Mayumi 4.0, just use whichever you have handy. If you're soldering it yourself, then MM3 uses one less wire.

I just mentioned this so you didn't try and install the old chip and then wonder why it's not booting anything :)

16. Segata Sanshiro

No, I appreciate it! Now I'm wondering, installation aside, the differences between MM3 and Mayumi 4.0 - more than happy to install a few more points if it is worth it.

17. master991

master991 Enthusiastic Member

Yes, in this case you need a new chip for JAP region console :p

EDIT: IMHO, mayumi it's better because it uses ext oscillator to sync with the psx.
    Either have the same code, the only difference is that mm usesi interl pic oscillator and the mayumi uses a point on the psx to sync the code

18. Segata Sanshiro

Seems Mayumi 4.0 is just more precise timing wise, using the system clock rather than internal pic timing. Think I'd prefer that!

19. TriMesh

It does, but I personally always regarded that as being a non-issue because the CD mechacon resynchronizes on each incoming character, so it would still work even if the timing was 5% off - and the PIC internal RC osc is about 1% accurate. I suspect that most of the hate for the internal oscillator comes from people that were using badly designed programmers that trashed the calibration value, since that would stop it from working.

20. Xan01

Xan01 Active Member

As some may know, on PAL consoles using composite video as sync for RGB causes checkerboard interference on solid colors. This might have to do something with the 4.43 subcarrier from the PAL signal. If I understand the information in this thread correctly, only mainboards starting with PU-22 have that fixed subcarrier. I checked it on my modded SCPH-5502 w/ PU-18 and a NTSC region game, there still was interference. I then checked with a sync on luma cable and the interference was gone.

Also, just to clarify: the 1% difference in GPU clockspeed only causes a slightly lower framerate when playing NTSC games on PAL consoles, right? Are things like timing, game speed and ingame clocks unchaged compared to an actual NTSC console? Personally I've always used modded PAL consoles for NTSC games and really couldn't notice anything, but I'm pretty curious if I'd notice the difference with a NTSC console.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014