Best PlayStation 1 model?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by ollidab, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Unknown-Organization

Unknown-Organization <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

True

I have

SCPH-1000
    SCPH-1002
    SCPH-7502
    SCPH-9002
    SCPH-101

No doubt that SCPH-1000 and SCPH-1002 has the best quality when using RBG Scart BUT If you S-Video to S-video cable on SCPH-1000. It will give slightly better quality than using RBG scart cable for some reason. Again using the PS1 AV multi with S-Video will look worse than RBG scart.

I been using PlayStation SCPH-1000 for 10 years now I have always use the S-video to S-video cable.

Back on the topic

Anyway, it is wasting time and money replacing the laser for any Playstation model. While SCPH-1000 SCPH-1001 and SCPH-1002 suffer from FMV skipping and music. Even though the laser is reliable with plastic holder.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CALIBRATE THE FUCKING laser intensity and that it.. done! No more Skipping issue. I have done that on SCPH-1000 and SCPH-1002 six years ago. Still have no issue today. It is very easy. You adjust the laser intensity while it playing FMV like Tekken 2 untill the FMV runs smooth.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Wrong, the plastic sleds can warp. Later drives had metal sleds. Its not just a case of calibrating the laser.

If it worked for you, good. But thats not the main issue for most consoles.

3. Unknown-Organization

I already know that. Don't have that issue at the moment even I play 2 hours straight.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You said it's a waste of time replacing the laser on any model, all you need to do is calibrate it. How can you say "you know that" when what I said is completely disagreeing with what you said?

5. Unknown-Organization

Meh I misunderstood as usual I guess.

Anyway, I don't have those issue with SCPH-1000 and SCPH-1002. That is all I'm saying.

6. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Not sure I'm convinced that the SCPH-1000/1001/1002 has the best RGB output. Any evidence to support this?

Looking at a SCPH-5000 to replace my SCPH-5552 so that NTSC games play at the correct speed currently. If it's worth going out of my way to find a SCPH-1000 then I will.

7. Unknown-Organization

Since I have all six different PS1 model. I can honestly say that using S-video to s-video on SCPH-1000 is the best quality you can get, it may have less vibrant colour that RGB scart has but Picture quality is notable but... hey I'm using the Sony PVM here.

I just don't have the capture device to take raw image or video at this point. Hopefully someone here may do it.

We all know RGB output is better than S-video. But SCPH-1000 with S-video to S-video is something else, this is interesting to know more because I have PSX DVR and I used S-video to S-video cable and I find that one better aswell for gaming apart from Component or D-teminal .

However That is how I see it. My opinion.

8. Segata Sanshiro

Oh, you're merely referring to the S-Video quality? I was specifically talking about RGB. :)

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I think the picture looks better on my 1002 than any of the others.

I know its not scientific, but I wasnt looking for quality at all. I just turned it on and thought it looked better immediately. The startup animation looked less jaggy to me iirc.

10. Segata Sanshiro

Hmm, well I have a 1002 in my house so maybe I should just compare and see what I think.

11. Unknown-Organization

Right now I have Japaneses SCPH-1000 connected S-video to S-video. Not from AVmulti or RGB scart.

Looks so damn good in reality.
    [​IMG]

12. Segata Sanshiro

Gosh, the PAL version too..

I'll take the NTSC-U version via RGB thank you. Have you tried RGB btw? You won't be able to go back.

13. Unknown-Organization

Of course, I have RGB scart. It seems that SCPH-1000 using with S-video to S-video cable display better quality than RGB quality but less vibrant. I know that RGB is better S-video.

That why I use the SCPH-1000 with S-video over the years.

Mind you, this picture I took looks ten time worse. Look so much better in reality.

14. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Actually, I'm not sure about this. I don't think I've compared the SCPH-1001 to other PS1 models. I have compared it to the PS2 running PS1 games over RGB, and I notice a difference. The difference is very subtle though - the SCPH-1001 looks slightly clearer. This could be due to the cables I'm using - I'm using a PS2 component cable to get RGB from the PS1, and I use composite from the back of the console as sync. With the PS2, there's no separate composite output, so I have to use a breakout-box type thing, which has a MultiAV output and composite and stereo audio outputs. So it's possible that the difference in quality that I'm experiencing is due to that adapter. If that's the case, then I would experience the same thing with any other PS1 revision, since the 100x is the only version with separate composite outputs. I'll do some more testing when I get a chance. I have 3 PS1s, so I'll see if I can find any differences between them. Although, one of them is an NTSC-J model, and I don't have any Japanese games - so the best I can do with that one is look at the OS.

Keep in mind that when I talk about the 1001 vs. the PS2, the difference is between really, really good and just really good. The 1001 has some of the best video quality I've seen - I would compare it to the MVS or the SNES Jr. The PS2 is close, but just slightly fuzzier. This may just be in my head, but I've compared them several times and that does seem to be the case. I'm not very good at explaining video quality, but I instantly know it when I see it.

What model is that PVM? It looks like a 13".

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  15. Unknown-Organization

Well I'm have three PVM.

Yes it is 14inch Sony PVM-14M4E

16. Segata Sanshiro

Actually, would it be possible to change the frequency crystal of a PAL machine to match that of an NTSC one?

I kinda can't be bothered with getting another PlayStation.

17. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It's possible, but there are a number of things to consider:

1) If you do this, then PAL games will run 1% fast and with the wrong color reference.
    2) The oscillator is a rather small (5mm x 7mm) SMT component that requires some soldering skill to replace.
    3) It's a rather unusual frequency and in most cases the easiest source is a NTSC PU-7, PU-8 or PU-18 board.

It is possible (with a bit of surgery on the board) to install both oscillators, but this is not recommended unless you have done a lot of soldering because you have to cut up the groundplane to made the pads for the oscillator and associated components (some caps and a resistor).

18. Segata Sanshiro

Am I right in assuming PAL games run too fast on NTSC hardware then? I don't care about PAL titles at all for the record.

That size oscillator should be fine for me to install, I'm fairly competent.

Sourcing one may be the issue then it seems. I'll see how this auction I'm watching holds out and consider my options then. Cheers.

19. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Yeah, it's exactly the same deal with a NTSC machine in PAL mode. All the video timing and the colorburst is about 1% higher in frequency than it should be.

If you are comfortable soldering, then it's worth considering putting both oscillators in. If you remove the screening on the PU-18 board, the oscillator is located just next to the GPU below the video DAC. The output pin goes through a 220R resistor and then forks off to two pins - the upper one (with the via for a testpoint) is the NTCS clock and the lower one is the PAL clock. Since you have a PAL board, just cut the trace to the upper pin and run a wire from the via to the oscillator. It needs a 220R series resistor and a pair of caps (100nF and 1nF) across the power lines. With this mod, it will generate 100% correct timing in both PAL and NTSC modes.

20. Segata Sanshiro

Man I'm beginning to sound really needy. I don't suppose there's any clear guide with pictures for this mod? Sounds like an excellent solution.