Best original Xbox Dashboards as of 2016?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by MaxWar, Sep 26, 2016.

1. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Any recommendation for dashboards to install on a TSOP modded xbox? Do you have some personal favourites? Why do you like them?
    My machines will likely be used to run emulators, homebrew and original games.

Back in 2011-2012, I softmodded a bunch of xbox and installed XBMC on them for emulators and stuff.
    I haven't really delved into Xbox modding since and it seems that there was at least some continued development in emulator and dashboards and bios.

Now I have about 25 original xbox that need repair and a new life. I plan to TSOP these guys and completely refurbish them with upgraded hard drives. I am in the process of getting myself up to date on the state of things on Xbox modding.

2. rso

rso °

I'm using a stripped down XBMC, because Avalaunch is a bit unflexible and ugly imho; Evo-X even more so on both accounts. Haven't really looked much into other ones. There's a somewhat new one (can't remember the name right now) that implements the modern "tile" UI design which looks nice for what it is, but I prefer the classic look. The "Xbox-Classic" XBMC skin makes everything look at least somewhat similar to the stock dash, and after removing all the plugins, movie and music related stuff and whatnot, it even boots up pretty fast.

3. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

I like booting into UnleashX (basic, fast, resembles OG Xbox dash to a certain degree) and having XBMC as a secondary dash

4. MaxWar

Thanks for the responses guys. That stripped down XBMC is interesting, i think I will definitely try it.
    I have read about a new dash called ''dragon''. Which uses tiles. But from what I read it might just be a XBMC skin.
    Another point of consideration is that the xboxes might end up being used by average Joes. I guess I should factor good HDTV compatibility and ease of use in my choice.

5. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

UnleashX + Vista skin(or whatever it was called) = Based.
    Or XBMC with that Xbox 360 Blades theme.

6. Marmotta

Marmotta Dauntless Member

I hate the way UnleashX looks sort of similar to the original dash, but just a bit shitty. It's been a very long time since I have a modified Xbox, but I always used to use UIX as a main dash and boot to XBMC from there if I needed to play media.

7. Eviltaco64

Haha, I forgot about that one. I used to use it back around 2007 to expo my softmodded Xbox to friends. It certainly turned a few heads!

8. MaxWar

I want to see what I can do with original Xbox in HD environment using component cables. So in the end this might influence my dash of choice. Problem is I dont have an HDTV setup, im still using a CRT :p
    I will need to find a spot for that 50'' LG I picked up at the junkyard.

9. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

You might be a little disappointed as the original Xbox doesn't play HD content very well... just not powerful enough unfortunately.

10. Eviltaco64

Yeah, 480p component/maybe 720p is the Xbox in it's element.

Are OC'd/128 MB Xboxes any better at handling content in 1080i?

11. MaxWar

I will be sure to keep my expectations low :p I am mostly interested in keeping the aspect ratio good on widescreen TVs for the Dash and emulators.
    According to wikipedia a handfull of games can do 1080i but from watching on youtube it seems they are not super pretty games. It seems some of the 720p ones are quite good though. Definitely interested in trying it out :p
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes

12. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

UnleashX or die scum!!

jk :p

13. vectrac20tsri

vectrac20tsri Active Member

On my tsoped xbox I have settled on boot to xbmc with the jx720 skin.