Best emulators for the PS3

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by teckman02, Jul 1, 2018.

1. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

I'm looking for the best emulators for the PS3, I've been toying with retroarch but it does so much I find it confusing. if would be nice if it had an easy to use manual

im also looking for something that will let me run games from the original cd AKA from say
    SEGA CD, 3DO, Dreamcast or Saturn

2. Pazzard

Pazzard Member

You won't be able to play original Dreamcast games anyway, as it is a totally different disk format to anything else. It isn't a CD or a DVD, in fact it is close to a CD but not compatible. The pits on the disc are packed closer together giving you an extra 300MB or so. Have never attempted disc based emulation with the others but it should be technically "feasible", but BIN/CUE is seriously the way to go with that.

Think your best option though is to still play around with RetroArch.

There is a guide here if that helps: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/retroarch-ps3-guide-2018-wip.17119/

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    theps1master likes this.
  3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Which build of retroarch are you using? Granted yes you wont be able to play Dreamcast games (this is due to the required effort to make that happen mind you, Vita even could but that's still a shitload of work) but most other things will be fine. Loading via a disc is very unlikely to happen as there's a whole slew of issues that would need to be resolved to do that.

There was this one thing that bugged me and it's the lack of a PS1 emulator. Sure the PS3 has its own on EVERY MODEL but what if I felt like emulating it via retroarch?

AntDRAG and theps1master like this.
  4. teckman02

im running 1.7.3 dex of RetroArch and the only games that I'm able to get running are NES

5. teckman02

well I have an update I figured out why a bunch of my roms wont load. all of them are zipped in the 7z format, so now I'm having to go one by one to unzip each rom.... Does anyone know of a way to do a batch or bulk unzip

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Select them all and do any of the following
    -Move them to a folder, highlight them and extract them all here
    -Go one by one and extract each
    -Use winrar to extract each to a separate folder (its one of the options)

7. psydefx

psydefx Robust Member

use romulus rom manager

8. teckman02

Pixel that worked perfectly thank you i knew that there was a way to do it I just couldn’t of it. Now if I could only figure out how to get retroarch to see my network drive in my Apple airport so I don’t need to FTP into the PS

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  9. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Probably unlikely this will happen anytime soon, and even if it did It would be a long way down the road

10. teckman02

either I'm doing something wrong but I cant find the core for the n64 for retroarch. I've been doing some searching but keep running into brick walls I'm trying to do this on my DECR 1000

11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Afaik there is no N64 core for PS3 available. Same applies to Dreamcast and PS1 (PS1 is just supported on the PS3, so why have a core)