Best emulators for the original xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by Pulsar, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar Spirited Member

Title says it all.
    I am thinking of going retroarch becuse I liked it on the raspberry pi, bit there's a lot of options and most posts online seem to be rather outdated on this subject.

Mostly looking for NES, SNES, the Game Boys, pc engine and sega pre Saturn.

Normally would just DL and try them out, but I have to tether my cell to my pc to download right now, and already pushing my data limit for the month :(

2. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Retroarch
    Cores currently supported:

- Genesis Plus GX
    - SNES9x Next
    - VBA Next
    - NEStopia
    - FCEUmm
    - Mednafen PCE Fast
    - Mednafen NGP
    - Mednafen VB
    - Mednafen Wonderswan
    - Prboom
    - FInal Burn Alpha
    - Gambatte
    - NXEngine
    - Tyrquake

From what I have tested they all work great.

3. rso

rso °

Well, the Xbox is kinda old and outdated, so posts about it are bound to be, too... Anyways, besides retroarch, you probably want to have a look at this page.

4. Pulsar

Pulsar Spirited Member

It is old and outdated, but figured that some of the emulators are still being developed and some have less bugs/higher compatibility than others.

I ended up downloading coinops 7 and retroarch.

Now I got to figure out why transferring files from the DVD is not working. Worked fine to put xbmc on it that way and did it with a few things on my other box... Figure it out tomorrow

5. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

CoinOps is the best in my opinion.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

CoinOps is a fucking mess honestly...

Patrick and weinerschnitzel like this.
  7. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

How so?

8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Have you seen how it's organised? I couldn't stand it when I made an emuXBOX for someone on the forums. Individual emulators in a neat list on a dash is the way to go. Easier to add and remove too.

9. Pulsar

Pulsar Spirited Member

This is starting to bug me. The file manager pics up the DVD title, but shows its empty. But, the same brand DVD burnt the same way with xbmc4xbox and a few other things on it shows up fine.

Any ideas what is up with that? May need to try locate a Ethernet cable and try to ftp the files on. Already wasted 2 disks on this

Any recommendations on stand alone emulators hex?

10. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

Never had trouble with:

FBA-XXX Pro - CPS1, CPS2, Neo-Geo (runs larger games well)
    CPX3 - CPS3
    Bendermame/MAMEdOX - Older, irregular arcade games
    Z26X - VCS/2600
    FCEUX - NES and FDS
    SMSPlusX - Sega Master System/GG
    NeoGenesis - Sega MD/CD/32X
    ZsnexBox - SNES and the odd BSX game
    Pcsxbox - PS1

Surreal64 is a bit strange. It seems that every new iteration of it (XXX then CE) fixes compatibility for some games while degrading it a bit for others. I usually run 2 versions of Surreal on my Xbox (currently 1.0 and the latest CE) and it's worked well.

The emulators listed above did everything I expected them to do with some light tweaking here and there.

11. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

Um, please tell me what is regressing with Surreal64? The codebase is very bloated but for the purpose of maintaining the same compatibility as you would expect from each iteration while being able to experiment with different plugins. I.E. if you want to configure the emulator to be like Surreal64 1.0, you can change the ROM paging method, and use Rice 5.10 with the older versions of 1964 and PJ64. I have no use for the original anymore, some of these legacy settings can and should be deprecated. But, ya know, hobbies, work, school, friends...

I think the core updates help a lot, and I've been very careful about updating the video plugins. A few months ago I spent a lot of time trying to fix the Save State freezes that oDD, or anyone else, never got to solving. It involved the interesting way the In Game Menu is accessed from the video plugin and not the emulator core. I have a MUCH harder time getting it to crash these days outside of bad plugin configs.

As far as emulators go. Madmab @ EmuXtras.net has taken over xport's emulators. If you are looking for recent cores that are optimized for use on the Xbox, check those out. RetroArch will have recent cores, but sometimes it is necessary to fallback on an old core for performance.

12. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I've got Vision on mine. Simple to use, navigate, and update. Runs great.

13. Patrick

Patrick Rising Member

Final Burn Legends also worth mentioning.

14. Pulsar

Pulsar Spirited Member

I had played around with it for a good bit now and came to the conclusion that I'm better off uai g my Wii for emulation for a few reasons.

Ease of putting roms onto it is a matter of putting the SD card in my pc and transferring files over. The Xbox I either need to burn to a disk, use a usb drive and then use a 3rd party program to transfer files to. That was my favorite methood, but the only compatible drive I have is 128mb... Slow going. Or hook it up to my pc and transfer through ftp.

Then there's the file name issues with fatx. Some files just won't transfer, and I am not about to have to go through and rename all of my roms again. I knkw I can do it with goodgui, but takes time, and then I will have multiple copies of roms. Not a huge deal, but it is a negative.

Last, the Wii supports playing the light gun games on my LCD.

I'll still be leaving the emulators and a select few of my favorite games on it, but think for dedicated emulation box, Wii is better suited.