Best arcade parts suppliers?

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by Stone, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Stone

Stone Enthusiastic Member

Who do you all get your arcade components from?

I'm after a pair of metal holsters to put optical guns in, mounting to the cabinet sides. The only ones I can find are for top-mounting into control panels, like this one:
    [​IMG]

I use Bob Roberts for everything but he doesn't have any either...

Hopefully one of you guys will use a supplier who has something suitable :)

Stone

2. jonest20

jonest20 Active Member

Have you asked on the KLOV forums in the WTB section? I'd be surprised if you didn't get some sort of response.

I usually use Quarterarcade.com and TNT Amusements (both are within 30 minutes of driving from my house, so its very convenient). A guy by the name of "DiveMaster" also sells a bunch of stuff on the BYOAC forums- I've bought stuff from him several times.

3. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

Jones just suggested everyone I would think of going to---in fact, I used to live in Southeastern PA, so I lived near TNT myself---I used to go there with my Dad...like 15 years ago or so.

If Bob Roberts doesn't have it though...maybe the Happ Controls website. It might be expensive, but they have some weird specific stuff.

http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/optical/op_guns.htm

Shoot, looks like you've maybe been there. Maybe that Sammy double part side mount can work or are the guns pistol style?

Is there anything stopping you from drilling holes in the side of the top mount one and mounting it that way? Or does style demand a specifically side mount one?

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Bob Roberts? Aren't you in the UK? Lol, you're paying waaay over the odds!

Go to Suzo if you can get a trade account, or Swallow Amusements (no account needed).

5. Stone

Actually Bob's quite cheap (especially when the dollar's weak - ie not now lol) and even with shipping it's broadly comparable to buying here. Plus he's a nice guy :)

Apparently the bolts on the Happ holsters are welded on - could cut them off but it's not a great solution. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Stone

6. retro

It's the shipping (and possible customs) that makes it unreasonable ;-)

As for the holders - they're bent sheet metal! Make one yourself ;-)

7. Stone

I'm not very handy with that stuff :redface:

I did find some nice leather side-mounting holsters but they could only be mounted on the right side of the cab. Might resort to cutting the bolts off a Happ one, I'll have a spare one soon when my Time Crisis set arrives! :)

Stone

8. retro

Try a hairdressers' wholesaler. Hairdryer holders. They come as rings, spirals, all sorts.

[​IMG]

9. Stone

You're a genius, I would never have thought of that :lol:

Just ordered a bunch of parts from Bob - total cost including shipping and online payment fees was £61.50. Exactly the same parts from Swallow (excluding JAMMA fingerboards which for some reason they don't sell) came to £77.08. And I'm still none the wiser as to who makes their joysticks and which model they are :shrug:

Yes, Swallow do have some parts that Bob doesn't stock, but for me at least I'm going to import everything else.

Stone

10. retro

I actually saw one in my friend's salon the other day, and it made me think of your predicament! :lol:

Swallow has VAT to charge. Plus you COULD get whacked by customs every time you import. They're going to charge at least VAT... but if it's through Parcelforce, they'll pay the bill and charge you on top for the privilege. VAT on your £61.50 is £12.30... bringing it to £73.80. Personally, for the speed, I'd pay the extra £3 odd.

Don't forget, if you are buying regularly, you should try to get a Suzo account.

BTW:

11. Stone

Never had to pay VAT yet, of course this could be the first time, but...

Also I spotted Bob gave me an $18 rebate on this order, when I asked why it turned out I overpaid on my last order, in 2005! Now that's service :thumbsup:

I wanted the double-ended kind for making adaptors - split down the middle. I already have some like that one :)

Stone

12. retro

Yeah... but think about the interest he got on that in over 5 years! ;-)

If you have some, then you can use those for adapters! I prefer those to the split ones, personally - they look ugly! The labels are pretty useful on the Swallow type, too.

13. Stone

I just write the signal names on with a permanent marker ;-)

Depends on the kind of adapter as to which I prefer. I'm working on a Time Crisis -> Jamma adapter which will use a Swallow-style fingerboard - as TC uses Molex connectors for everything it wouldn't make sense to use a split board. My Pacman adapter converts from a non-JAMMA edge connector to JAMMA on the other side so using a split board means you can get a good solid connection on both edge connectors.

In this order I wanted split boards because I'm going to wire a JAMMA adapter for my cab - it has stereo speakers fitted so I want to be able to leave the cab wiring alone and plug standard boards into it. I'll probably use a short jumper cable from one to the other so I can unplug the JAMMA-connector audio and reroute it if I'm using a board with stereo output.

I used to think the wiring doesn't matter as long as everything works, but after receiving my TC board I'm revising that. As an example the original gun cable had been replaced with a bit of hosepipe :lol: I try and do everything as neatly as possible so it's easier to troubleshoot later. Plus it looks better!

Stone

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  14. Stone

It's alive!

[​IMG]

The irony now is that I have to wait for some connectors from Swallow before I can hook up the gun or audio :)

Stone

15. retro

Haha! :p

Yeah, it's best to be neat and tidy. Likewise, I like to use the "correct" colours for wires, it's just easier that way. 50-odd blue wires don't help when fault-finding!

16. thehive

thehive Rising Member

17. retro

Gremlin seem pricey because they ARE pricey! I would never use them!

18. Stone

Yeah, I made a test purchase from them (1 button, when I was planning on reusing parts from my Supergun) but it worked out incredibly expensive. Never again!

Parts from Bob and Swallow both turned up today, and once again no customs fees. He did describe my bunch of buttons and sticks as a 'cp kit' though so they probably got confused :)

Stone

19. thehive

thehive Rising Member

Wall, I did say they were expensive LOL :)
    I get quite a lot of bargains and even freebies from Jammaplus - you need to register though to get access to the sales forums.

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk