Beggar Prince (Genesis / Mega Drive) in-development version

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Mr. Sound-About, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Mr. Sound-About

Mr. Sound-About Never let dreams die!

Here's something for y'all to download! ;)

http://www.beggarprince.com/downloads/Xin_Qigai_Wangzi_(New_Beggar_Prince)_-_beta.zip

Did I release this anywhere already? Who flippin' knows. Anyway Merry New Year.

It's an in-development version of 新乞丐王子 aka New Beggar Prince for Sega Genesis / Mega Drive, given to me by C&E back when we were working on the English language version. Notably, some of the code in this beta version was studied by our programmer and transplanted into our final product, to correct certain bugs present in the commercial Taiwanese release that we were using as a base. Isn't that a gasser?

Anyway it'd be nice if people distributed this particular in-development game binary far and wide across the interwebs, for the purposes of preservation. I can't recall just how complete it is, but if I remember right (from ~13 years ago!) you get stuck somewhere far into the game, due to a missing item or something. A sure sign of its unfinished state. Maybe you can hack the item into your inventory, or whatever. I don't know.

The above download link will self-destruct at some point, so everyone make use of it whilst it's still there. Capiche?

2. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

That's nice of you thanks!

Mr. Sound-About likes this.
  3. OfAnAwesome

OfAnAwesome Member

I remember when this first came out.

Thank you!!!

4. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

I apologize for going a bit off-topic here but by any chance would you and your team do any Fan Translations of MS-DOS PC South Korean or Taiwanese games? like you did with some of Panda Entertainment's titles back in the day?

5. Mr. Sound-About

Maybe. But not any time soon. And even if we did, they would be purely "for the love of it" projects and we wouldn't be taking requests. I'd need to have a deep personal attachment to the games, like I do with the C&E and Panda Entertainment titles.

Getta Robo and DSwizzy145 like this.
  6. DSwizzy145

That's no problem, was just only curious if you was someday gonna continue to bring over titles or not.

7. runwhiteboyrun

runwhiteboyrun Active Member

Much appreciation for the release.

8. Mr. Sound-About

I neglected to mention it before -- too much going on at once here -- but we are working on a Windows version of Tough Guy, using MUGEN. If you've tried the original DOS game, you're sure to remember that, despite its pretty cool graphics and sound, the gameplay is really kludgy. Of the fighting games we own, it's the most oft requested for an update. So we plan to release that... when it's done. Sign up for our mailing list if you'd like first dibs when it comes out.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  9. DSwizzy145

Awesome! Will defo check that out, nice to hear that you guys are continuing to improve half/near broken Korean or Taiwanese fighting games and fixing them for a new audience!

10. Mr. Sound-About

What can I say? We just have an affinity for them. ;)

If you haven't read them already, you may be interested in these two articles I wrote...

* Super Fighter versus Sango Fighter: Chinese War Ends in America
    * Invincible

The "Invincible" article also includes a download link for all the extracted game graphics + audio. If someone besides SFT wants to take up the challenge of adapting the game to MUGEN, there's a fantastic starting point.

DSwizzy145 likes this.