Battle of the Ports

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Yakumo, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Which format would you prefer for Battle of the Ports?

1. Text bar (like I've had since the first show)

15.0%
  2. Voice over, only

22.5%
  3. Voice over and text bar (for non native English speakers)

62.5%
  1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

You'll see just how smoother the 60fps videos are. I wish YouTube offered 60fps. Talking of which, has anybody else noticed that many videos are now only 720p? They used to be 720p and 1080p.

2. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Just watched the latest Retro Core. Really nice! One of the better episodes in recent memory. That Eliminate Down game looks awesome. Too bad I'll probably never be able to afford it. :( Or, to put it another way, I'm unlikely to spend a large amount of money on a Mega Drive game. I thought the Bare Knuckle III soundtrack was actually really interesting, but I can see why it might be off-putting to some. I'm into experimental/noise music, so I think it's cool. I don't own that game, though. I suppose if I'm going to get it, I might as well get the Japanese version? I still want to get a model 1 Japanese Mega Drive, since my Wondermega will only do S-video. I'm so spoiled on RGB, it's hard for me to use anything else.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. Yakumo

Yeah, if you do want Bare Knuckle 3 then you really need the Japanese version. There's quite a bit cut from the western release including the stage one camp sailor boss.

taken from unseen64

While translating this game from Japanese to American and European audiences, Sega of America altered it significantly. The most notable changes were that the miniboss character Ash was removed because he was a stereotyped homosexual, females were given more modest clothing, and the costume colors were changed. Axel is dressed like Adam, Blaze’s clothes were changed from red to white, and Skate wears red and blue instead of red and yellow. Sega stated that these were changed to create “gender-neutral colors.” The voice-effects were also changed, with most noticeably Axel’s catchphrase of “Grand Upper” for his semi-special move being replaced with “Bare Knuckle”.

The plot was rewritten, leaving many gaps in the narrative. In the original Bare Knuckle 3 the story dealt with a new explosive substance called Rakushin, discovered by a Dr. Gilbert (who later turns out to be Dr. Zan), and the disappearance of a military general. In the American and European versions of Streets of Rage 3, all references to Rakushin were removed, and the general was replaced by the chief of police, and a scheme to switch city officials with robot clones was invented. Another difference was if you didn’t save the general, you had to head to the White House. This too was changed in the U.S./Euro version where instead if you didn’t save the chief, then you had to head to the City Hall, although the building depicting the City Hall was still clearly the White House.

Also, Bare Knuckle 3, even on the highest difficulty setting, was significantly easier than Streets of Rage 3 on default difficulty.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Cool, I might get that, if I can find one for a decent price. eBay's prices are, as usual, completely ridiculous.

In response to the segment about the GB Boy, that thing looks pretty nice. However, what you said about the screen being squashed makes me a little skeptical. If you want to play GB and GBC games on a high-quality backlit display, you might want to consider getting a GBA SP AGS-101 system. The original GBA had no built-in light. The GBA SP had a frontlit display, which was an improvement on the lightless model, but still relatively dark and not particularly well-defined.

The AGS-101 was the penultimate Game Boy model released by Nintendo - the last being the GB Micro, though they were released at close to the same time. The AGS-101 was nearly identical to the original GBA SP externally, except that it came in different colors. However the AGS-101 had a much nicer backlit LCD display, similar to the LCD TVs that were available at the time (2005). Like the older GBA SP, it could also play GB and GBC games, and of course GBA games. Just like the previous GBA models, it had to display borders on GB and GBC games, or else stretch them to fit the GBA screen. For that reason I still play original GB games on my GB Pocket, even though the screen is not as nice. Still, the AGS-101 undoubtably has the best display of any official GBA model. It's comparable in quality to the DS Lite display. The GB Micro uses a smaller version of the same display, but I think it's too small to play comfortably.

Anyway, just something to consider. I hope I'm not telling you something you already know; if so, then ignore the above 2 paragraphs.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  5. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Another great episode Yakumo - the 60fps really does make a massive difference in illustrating the smooth scrolling on classic titles. I reckon you should revisit some classic 60fps games maybe - DoA or VF Kids on the Saturn maybe?

The Bare Knuckle 3 bit was also interesting, same with the info above. I remember really disliking the PAL version, didn't realise until reading what you posted and watching the video how garbled it got. Like lllll, I'll look into getting a Japanese copy, but the asking price is a bit of a pain :(

Any word on when your Golden Axe BotP will hit the website?

6. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Yakumo-sama I am thinking about you right now, because you perhaps have some trouble with youtube´s insane new policy about copyright and all that. So how are going to release new episodes of RTC and BOTP (Battle Of The Ports) ? Cause it looks like, you will need from now on release them through downloads. So your channel, will not be closed or fucked by Google/Youtube.

7. Yakumo

I've had no issues at all from YouTube as of yet. I should be ok.

8. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Okay, because I really enjoy your shows. And well my father enjoyed the old shows when they were on DVD, back in the day :)

9. Yakumo

10. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Awesome - won't be able to queue it up tonight, but will do so tomorrow when I get home from work! Thanks Yakumo!

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Just watched the Golden Axe show. Another good one. Golden Axe was one of the first games I owned for the Genesis - it was included in the Genesis 6-Pack that came with my system. Do you happen to know if there are any differences between the US and European versions and the Japanese version?

I agree about the GBA port. It's too bad Sega let other companies port their games to the GBA. You would think that Sega, or even one of their subsidiaries like Hitmaker or WOW, could've done a better job.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  12. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Another great episode! This series really strikes home how far off the home computer ports used to be - I don't know how they compare in terms of power, but when I see what the X68k did and compare it to the Amiga ports, it seems a bit rubbish (which is surprising considering how powerful the Amiga was). Though that being said, I remember being really impressed when I moved from the C64 to the Master System and then Mega Drive with how much tighter arcade ports played on the consoles. Such a shame the C64 version of Golden Axe was a bit rubbish, the intro music was awesome. Same for Double Dragon though.

Any thoughts on what the next BotP will feature?

13. Yakumo

The next BOTP will either be Out Run (A BIG! job that will be or I may even do Galaxy Force II)

14. zuperknux

zuperknux Member

If comparing Out-run, which mode would be shown on the Saturn version. Normal or smooth mode?

15. Yakumo

If wouldn't make much difference for YouTube viewers because YouTube videos are locked at 30fps anyway. I'll just run the smooth version and add a little comment pointing out the two versions. There's no point doing both since they will look the same on YouTube.

16. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Looking forward to it!

17. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Awesome choice, definitely looking forward to OutRun! Spent hours on the C64 version as a kid - a bit of a rubbish port, but the music was ace. Curious to see how the other platforms fared!

18. Yakumo

I've started work on the Out Run BOTP but can't find my Saturn copy. I know I own it. It's even scaned on to my site but where the hell it's gone to I don't know. I may have to resort to downloading an ISO if I can't find my original :(

By the way, the next Retro Core is actually finished :) I'll probably upload it in a week.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  19. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

I've only ever played the PAL Sega Ages compilation (with my Saturn set to 60hz) - was there any difference between that and the Japanese stand-alone version?

20. Yakumo

All I can tell you is that the. EU version is missing the arranged music tracks or some music tracks due to 3 games being put on to one disc. There maybe other different issues too but I can't say since I've never actually sat down and played the EU versions.