Battle of the Ports

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Yakumo, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Which format would you prefer for Battle of the Ports?

1. Text bar (like I've had since the first show)

15.8%
  2. Voice over, only

23.7%
  3. Voice over and text bar (for non native English speakers)

60.5%
  1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

it will be covered at some point but when I'm not sure.

Oh I've always like killer Instinct because it's a good game. I hate Mortal Kombat because in my opinion its a cheap game. The AI cheats, the playability is stiff and I just don't find the whole realistic approach appealing on any game. Killer Instinct in none of those things.

Donkey Kong Country, over hyped but it is a good platformer. The N64 games are boring though. Conker is great as is Golden Eye. You're also right about Golden Eye being heavily inspired by Virtua Cop.[/QUOTE]

Zant likes this.
  2. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Sorry, I forgot to actually mention the alternate title before. Here you are:

[​IMG]

Since the box art even points out that buyers could expect a conversion of Virtua Cop, there clearly wasn't a problem with using the original arcade and Saturn version's name, so why did Sega bother shooting itself in the foot (groan) by releasing one third of the "Big Three" under such a generic brand with none of the established recognition of its already available counterparts? This practice continued with the sequel, and I wouldn't be surprised if sales massively suffered because most players wrongly assumed these PC games were cheap knock-off alternatives! While I'm sure Sega had perfectly legitimate reasons, I don't ever recall any official explanation for this potentially damaging change being given.

3. Yakumo

Ah yes, that was it. Virtua Squad. What a stupid name :p

This week on Battle of the Ports we take a look at Virtua Cop 2. can the Saturn still keep up? Is the Dreamcast version better than the PlayStation 2? Let's find out.

Anthaemia. likes this.
  4. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Even if I never really connected with "VC2" in the same way as the original, I can still appreciate that it was a far more ambitious Saturn conversion. As for the massively upgraded Dreamcast and PS2 editions, these both offer their own significant improvements over the arcade source material, yet I feel they lost something in the process - so many of AM2's earlier games under the "Virtua" umbrella had a specific look that didn't lend itself well to a photorealistic graphical style (which continued all the way up to Virtua Fighter 4). Anyway, thanks for another great video...

P.S. Those outtakes were absolutely hilarious! Can we expect more in the future?

Yakumo likes this.
  5. Yakumo

Hehe, I don't normally have many outtakes but for some reason that was a bad day for voiceover recoding. I just couldn't get it right.