Battle of the Ports

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Yakumo, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Which format would you prefer for Battle of the Ports?

1. Text bar (like I've had since the first show)

15.4%
  2. Voice over, only

23.1%
  3. Voice over and text bar (for non native English speakers)

61.5%
  1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

it will be covered at some point but when I'm not sure.

Oh I've always like killer Instinct because it's a good game. I hate Mortal Kombat because in my opinion its a cheap game. The AI cheats, the playability is stiff and I just don't find the whole realistic approach appealing on any game. Killer Instinct in none of those things.

Donkey Kong Country, over hyped but it is a good platformer. The N64 games are boring though. Conker is great as is Golden Eye. You're also right about Golden Eye being heavily inspired by Virtua Cop.[/QUOTE]

Johnny and Zant like this.
  2. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Sorry, I forgot to actually mention the alternate title before. Here you are:

[​IMG]

Since the box art even points out that buyers could expect a conversion of Virtua Cop, there clearly wasn't a problem with using the original arcade and Saturn version's name, so why did Sega bother shooting itself in the foot (groan) by releasing one third of the "Big Three" under such a generic brand with none of the established recognition of its already available counterparts? This practice continued with the sequel, and I wouldn't be surprised if sales massively suffered because most players wrongly assumed these PC games were cheap knock-off alternatives! While I'm sure Sega had perfectly legitimate reasons, I don't ever recall any official explanation for this potentially damaging change being given.

3. Yakumo

Ah yes, that was it. Virtua Squad. What a stupid name :p

This week on Battle of the Ports we take a look at Virtua Cop 2. can the Saturn still keep up? Is the Dreamcast version better than the PlayStation 2? Let's find out.

Johnny and Anthaemia. like this.
  4. Anthaemia.

Even if I never really connected with "VC2" in the same way as the original, I can still appreciate that it was a far more ambitious Saturn conversion. As for the massively upgraded Dreamcast and PS2 editions, these both offer their own significant improvements over the arcade source material, yet I feel they lost something in the process - so many of AM2's earlier games under the "Virtua" umbrella had a specific look that didn't lend itself well to a photorealistic graphical style (which continued all the way up to Virtua Fighter 4). Anyway, thanks for another great video...

P.S. Those outtakes were absolutely hilarious! Can we expect more in the future?

Yakumo likes this.
  5. Yakumo

Hehe, I don't normally have many outtakes but for some reason that was a bad day for voiceover recoding. I just couldn't get it right.

6. Yakumo

Is it a shooter or a puzzle game? It's Twinkle Star Sprites on this week's Battle of the Ports.

7. Yakumo

Wow, this was a big one to cover. Pac-Man has so many ports plus loads of unofficial ports too. Let's take a look at a load of them.

8. Yakumo

Sometimes the simplest of games can be the most fun. Motos from Namco it just that.

9. Yakumo

A little early this week since I'll be away tomorrow.
    This week we are taking a look at one of my favourite Capcom Fighters of all time, X-Men VS Street Fighter.

Johnny likes this.
  10. Yakumo

According to a source withing Capcom US, Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter was developed for the sole reason that X-Men VS Street Fighter was too hectic. Sounds like a lame reason but whatever the reason was it resulted in an amazing 2D fighter from Capcom Japan. One of the best ever 2D fighters of that generation.

Johnny likes this.
  11. Anthaemia.

Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter might have been a less hectic follow-up to X-Men VS Street Fighter, but they went right back into the more frenetic style with Marvel VS Capcom and its sequel. Go figure!

12. Yakumo

I reckon the Capcom US rep was just talking out of his arse.

13. Anthaemia.

I'm prepared to go even further by suggesting Capcom's US division frequently talks from its collective arse... How else can you explain Final Fight Revenge - a game developed by this same American department - becoming the company's last release for the Saturn?

14. Yakumo

I know. Final Fight Revenge is a disgusting heap of crap. Looks shit, plays shit and well, it just is shit. I still don't understand why it needs the 4MB Ram cart either. It doesn't offer anything that the likes of AM2s Fighters or Dead Or Alive don't offer. In fact it's way worse than those games in looks too.

15. Anthaemia.

I know that the original arcade version of Final Fight Revenge ran on the STV board, but I always thought the overall art style for its polygonal characters and use of 2D backgrounds was very similar to that of Street Fighter EX. Can you imagine if the same engine and RAM cartridge had been used to power a conversion of that game instead, perhaps offering additional modes beyond those featured in the "Plus Alpha" edition for the PlayStation? While it's not something I ever see getting a lot of positive attention online, I really like the first EX, and it would have definitely been more welcome than FFR.

Yakumo likes this.
  16. Yakumo

A game that was classed as groundbreaking for it's time - Starblade on this week's Battle of the Ports

Johnny likes this.
  17. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Glad you didn't go easy on the PS1 ports of the Capcom vs. games. The no excuse for them, even with less capable hardware. And it's shameful Capcom never released these games for the Saturn worldwide.

Also, games like Metal Slug X and even Capcom's own Street Fighter Zero 3 prove they could make decent heavily animated 2D games on the system. Of course they weren't anywhere near as good as the Saturn ports, but at least they were playable and respected the customers. The whole Vs. series on the PS1 is pathetic.

Moving on, was so happy to see Starblade's video today. I do remember playing the original machine, it was truly something. I miss those days when everytime i went to the arcade there was probably something new and exciting awaiting.

18. Yakumo

I finished playing the PSX version of Marvel VS Capcom today for the next BOTP. man, that is so bad. The audio made my ears feel as if they were full of water.

19. Yakumo

Okay, here we go with yet another Capcom VS game but it will be the last one I'll be covering for the time being. Will the PlayStation version be any good this time?

Johnny likes this.
  20. Anthaemia.

You've got to feel sorry for Capcom, or at least its Japanese side... They obviously put everything into those later Saturn conversions, even though all of their efforts making full use of the 4MB RAM upgrade cartridge were never released internationally, yet they also had to still give Sony something, which usually ended up being so diluted in comparison with the original arcade source material. I suspect the reason Capcom continued putting its name on those vastly inferior PlayStation editions of the VS series in particular was because it needed the wider sales possible from this platform (despite Sony being vocal in its dislike of 2D games) to justify being able to develop far better on Saturn, by then very much a marginalised console. Thankfully, we never had to witness the embarrassment of CPS2 or CPS3 games being attempted on the Nintendo 64, though I do remember a handful of magazines back in the day suggesting Street Fighter III may have been on the cards for this machine at some point - can you imagine that?

Yakumo likes this.