Battle of the Ports

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Yakumo, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Which format would you prefer for Battle of the Ports?

1. Text bar (like I've had since the first show)

15.0%
  2. Voice over, only

22.5%
  3. Voice over and text bar (for non native English speakers)

62.5%
  1. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Awesome - just finished downloading it (takes a while on Australian internet), looking forward to watching it later tonight!

BTW, are you going to be continuing work on Retro Core, or has that gone to the side while you continue working on BotP?

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I want to do a new Retro Core but finding time to actually do live video and voice overs is tight at the moment. I do have a Halloween special planned but I'm not sure if I will have time to do it. Battle of the Ports only takes a day to make so it's much easier to find time.

3. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

nice battle this time and the PCE really rocks out of all those ports. graphically the closest you could get to the arcade at that time. only downer was the missing 2P co-op mode and some usual parallaxes (which even could have been done), but damn the high standard graphics and music made up so much again!

4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Just watched the Dynamite Dux show last night. Good episode! It's too bad they never made a Saturn version. It would've been perfect for the Saturn. I'd never heard of the game until I saw that episode, but it looks cool. How the hell did they come up with the idea for those floating needle-nosed dog things?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. Yakumo

They were sure smoking some crazy shit when they came up with that game.

6. Yakumo

New Battle of the Ports is out now. Golden Axe.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Official site version of the previous show? Please? :p My offer to help you with the site still stands.

8. Yakumo

Still not alowed to put t up yet. 1 more week to go :) I'll be adding the 60fps version of Retro Core 4 Vol:13 too at the same time.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I see. Didn't you say the window was 2 weeks?

It's been 2 weeks already. Is it 3 weeks now? I'm not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but that is what you said - and if the reality is something different, then I'm a little curious about what it is. That's all.

10. Yakumo

Yes, I did. It is a two week window. I didn't realize two weeks had passed already. well, better get uploading the pages :) Should be online in a few minutes.

11. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Nice! Gonna watch it on the Vita tonight.

12. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Nice episode. The Mega Drive version looks pretty good, as far as Mega Drive arcade conversions go. The PC Engine version looks pretty good too. The gameplay looks weird though - you sort of spin around randomly? I've never played it so I don't know what it's actually like.

By the way, I got to play Final Fight at my local arcade the other day. That's a pretty good game; graphics were pretty impressive for the time it was released. One thing that annoyed me about it, a little bit, was that it seemed kind of random as to when enemies would hit you. Sometimes it seems like they hit you, and there's nothing you can do about it - there's no block, and it doesn't matter if you're hitting them or not. Maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, the next time I'm there I'll give it another try. They just got Killer Instinct in, so I want to play that some more.

13. Yakumo

The PC Engine of Forgotten Worlds is really nice. Way better than the Mega Drive I think.

That issue you had with Final Fight is pretty common with older scrolling beat'em ups.

14. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Checked out Forgotten Worlds last night - another great show! Looking forward to the 60fps version of the next episode!

15. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  16. Yakumo

On my version no button on the keyboard worked for magic. I tried everything. I guess the version I was using had the magic removed as mentioned n the link. Even if I got the magic to work the Amiga and other home computer versions are still pretty poor to play due the control system.

17. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

I have to admit, even though we disagree on the Amiga ports. Then I am not too much of a fanboy. I just felt you have been just a bit rough on some of the Amiga versions (I agree with you on some of those ports to Amiga). But as I mentioned earlier, I really think your battle of the ports show, is bloody brilliant, the dogs bollocks all the fucking way Yakumo-sama !

18. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I picked up the Genesis version of Forgotten Worlds the other day. I like it, but it's pretty tough. I don't like the one life-edness of it. It's not as nice, graphically, as the PC Engine version, but not bad for such an early MD/Genesis game. It really does feel like an arcade game, unlike most MD games.

It's funny how the main menu is: Start and Options. That's it. You can tell they put a lot of thought into that.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  19. Yakumo

20. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

60fps version is downloading as I type this :)