Battle of the Ports

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Yakumo, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Which format would you prefer for Battle of the Ports?

1. Text bar (like I've had since the first show)

15.0%
  2. Voice over, only

22.5%
  3. Voice over and text bar (for non native English speakers)

62.5%
  1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I watched this last night. Good episode. The Mega CD version looks cool. Do you happen to know if there are any differences between the US and Japanese versions? I have both a Sega CD and a Wondermega, so they're both an option. I thought the SFC version looked pretty good, but the music sounded awful, especially for an SFC game. The SFC had a really good sound chip for the time, so there's really no excuse for that.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Capcom's sound engine on a lot of early SFC games was pretty bad IMO which is why Final Fight sounds like crap.

The US Mega CD version has god awful voice acting and I believe it's slightly censored too in regards to the female characters animation when they are punched. Just get the Japanese disc. Uncensored, much better voice acting (although in Japanese), cool art work and it's not that expensive.

3. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Ahhh I love Final Fight. One of my all time favourite games, still remember playing it in the basement of a record store. Great video!

4. Yakumo

Thanks. I'm hoping to finish off the next show tomorrow. It all depends on how I feel after tonight's drinking.

5. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I saw Final Fight at my local arcade the other day. I ended up playing a bunch of fighting games instead, though. It was near closing time, so I had to use my time wisely. I'll check it out the next time I'm there.

6. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Finally downloaded it this morning - tried late last week but the rain crapped out the copper so I could only sync at 1.2mbps on my ADSL line. Now I'm back up to 4mbps. Gotta love our internets here in Australia :p

7. BigAl

BigAl Rising Member

Good episode, thanks! Gotta agree that the SFC was a bit lacking compared to the Mega CD one.

8. Yakumo

Battle of the Ports - Double Dragon is now on YouTube. The 60fps high quality version will be up for download in a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szo_WFNFNKQ

Battle of the Ports - Double Dragon.
    Video time listing

00:40 - Arcade Original
    2:40 - Mega Drive
    4:42 - Atari ST
    5:23 - Amiga 500
    6:12 - GameBoy Advance
    8:10 - Game Boy
    9:51 - Game Gear
    11:25 - Master System
    12:57 - Famicom (NES)
    14:13 - Amstrad CPC
    15:25 - Commodore 64
    16:22 - ZX Spectrum
    17:23 - Atari 2600
    18:33 - Atari 7800
    19:37 - MSX
    21:06 - XBOX 360

Enjoy

9. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Awesome, I'll make a mental note to check the site in a week to grab it - loving the 60fps version! Really enjoyed the Final Fighter episode as well - blows my mind how crappy all the European computer ports were back in the day, though they can't have been too bad I guess given how much I love my C64!

10. Yakumo

I used to think the Amiga was amazing but since doing these videos it's clear to see that it was actually pretty poor for arcade style games.

11. coal stepping

coal stepping Site Supporter 2014

I very much enjoy these videos Yakumo. You have much more variety than competing comparison videos.

12. Yakumo

Thanks! I try to not copy what the other videos do. I've got loads of odd games lined up too such as Irem's Dragon Breed. While it never got any console ports it did make it to the home computers.

13. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Same here - the A500 looked pretty awesome compared to the C64 at the time for me!

14. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

Amiga was ace untill the PCE hit the market, which generously showed of how real arcade ports should have been handled for the own four walls at that time and many years to come of course :)

But it also wasn't just the amigas fault, that 99% of the developers had no clue of how to pull out something nice, or only knew of how to make some easy bucks by porting over even far more inferior games from the ST.

15. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

These videos are great, Yakumo! I remember playing the Spectrum version of Double Dragon back in the day, I couldn't progress at all, hadn't a clue how to play it :D

16. coal stepping

coal stepping Site Supporter 2014

I have so many found memories of double dragon. My grandfather was a retired vet and managed the bowling alley near the projects before the city torn them down. I was like 6 And they had altered beast, dj boy, super mario vs, pacman, and yes DOUBLE DRAGON I remember the first time hearing the themesong and the sound effect though altered beast was cool to but double dragon was amazing luckly I got to freeplay all the games so I got to beat it.

Later my dad got into programming an bought a commodore 64 he even made his own star trek game. Well guess what game I got double dragon it didn't matter if billy and jimmy lee got severe sun tans as long as I could listen to that sid chip blurp out the theme song and it was playable I was fine.

Than I got a nes.... finnally mu uncle gave it to us. And guess what came with it... yup double friggen dragon. The twist o. Gameplay was great but my brother and my friends spend most time vs mode since it was bassically to first console vs ever in our minds.

Than this drug addict was selling a genesis with a collection for like 100 $when christmas came,had sonic 1 ghouls and ghosts, golden axe, ghost and goblins, shadow dancer, and yes.... double friggen dragon and to me it was arcade perfect I was in heaven. This game has followed me just about my whole youth up until the gba version. Absolutly love it.

17. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I can't wait for the new Battle of the Ports! I just got a new TV, so it'll be cool to see how it looks.

18. Yakumo

I watch the 60fps version on my TV too. Looks so much nicer than the 30fps version

19. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

You didn't miss too many version of Double Dragon. Can't see why you have trouble with Atari emulators, took me 3 minutes to find and download working roms and an emulator an it works on my underpowered netbook too...

You should have covered the PC version as it is done by British developers Binary Design and features CGA, EGA and the 16 Colour Tandy 1000 modes. I remember running it on a PC emulator for our schools Research Machine Nimbus machines and it ran at about 5 frames a second and people still played it.... DOSBOX and a quick search on abadonware...

There is also a tiger handheld version which is awful.

20. Yakumo

For some reason DOSBox is a pain in the ass to run on my laptop (it has more than enough power). Is there a good front end for DOSBox to make life more simple?

Yeah, I know about the Tiger hand held, yep I owned that shit back in the day. It was crap then never mind about now. I had the Afterburner one too.