Battle of the Ports

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Yakumo, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Which format would you prefer for Battle of the Ports?

1. Text bar (like I've had since the first show)

15.0%
  2. Voice over, only

22.5%
  3. Voice over and text bar (for non native English speakers)

62.5%
  1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

An all new Battle of the Ports is out now! And before anyone decides to point out, yes, I know the PC Engine CD version is missing but why bother when the main game is the same as the Hu-card. Also the IOS and Android versions are missing but again, they are just arcade emulations really. And yes, there's no FM Towns version (if it really does exist) (^o^). I also know there's an Atari ST version but I couldn't get that to work.

R-Type versions featured in this video !!
    Arcade Original
    Amiga 500
    Commodore 64
    Amstrad CPC
    GameBoy
    GameBoy Colour
    Sega Master System (with FM audio)
    PC Engine
    PlayStation
    Super Famicom
    Sharp X68000
    XBOX 360
    MSX
    ZX Spectrum

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Another great video Yakumo! I used to love the Master System version as well. The FM Audio makes it even better!

3. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Awesome.

Had this game on my Amiga 500, my Master System and on PCE

Thanks for this Yakumo.

4. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

I disagree about the PCEngine version. I like that it scrolls vertically too. Can make it more challenging.

It's one of my favorite ports for sure.

5. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Stop being lazy :p

You missed the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiSYZRTtbMI
    Atari ST

(And there is a Fan version upgrade for the Atari STE)
    http://dhs.nu/news.php?t=single&ID=829

and more importantly the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb0qDaKVOFg

Fantastic NEC PC-88VA version (Which was more like a PC-9801 but was PC-8801 compatable as it had a V50 (a microcontroller version of the V30 which is a 8086 clone, R-Type used a V30, which is why this version is quite close to arcade perfect....).

We will ignored the iphone and JavaME versions though...

6. Yakumo

It says in the video discription that I couldn't get the Atari ST version to work. bad copy of the game I think. I had no idea there was a version for the PC88. I even checked to see if there was a version for that system.

7. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

I just found out about these last night and gotta say that I love them! Keep doing them, they are a lot of fun to watch.

8. Yakumo

The next one is made and will be uploaded next week.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I'd really like to watch this, but I want to wait for the official site version. Any idea when we can expect that?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  10. Yakumo

No idea at all but if you can't wait I can PM you direct links to the files.

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Yeah, that'd be great.

12. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

That's because the video of it runs like on half the original speed, is choppy as hell and the music is just kind of blubbering around. Sorry Yakumo, but that capture was one of the baddest I've ever seen of that game. From where did you get that? :congratulatory:

That would represent it much more faithfully -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6cKK6gx8sc

Beside the lack of the checker board, which was very sad indeed:grief:, I think it was a very good port for its time, and sure the best on consoles for years to come. Also playability was right up there.

13. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I know, at first I thought it was some shoddy 3D version, I feel sorry for the kids who bought it hoping it was the same as the arcade.

With Space Harrier, I was surprised that the GG version was vastly superior to the Famicom one. I mean it looked good, for the hardware.

14. rtyper

rtyper Newly Registered

You know a lot of these comparison videos are up on youtube?
    have you actually thought this through before jumping in, I get the feeling these are hasty follow-ups to your excellent retro-core.
    1st, these are better done with voice over/text abscent - personal opinions get in the way of facts and everyone has personal favourites, your opinion holds no more weight than anyone elses (pce rtype wtf)
    2nd, these should not be done via emulation as shown with your PCE space harrier footage, really poor quality and defeats the whole purpose of the exercise.

15. Yakumo

The 3rd show is much better done. No filters and real hardware used for 4 of the games. I k ow there's videos like this on YouTube but that doesn't mean there can't be another plus many of them are in low resolution. The comments are there because people requested them. Personally I'd rather not have the comments because it's more work but since more people wanted them than not they are here to stay for now.

By the way, I know my comments aren't any more valid than say yours or anyone else. I never said they were and I stick by what I think of PC Engine R type. The screen scrolls up ad down changing the way the game plays. So what of it looks amazing for a 8bit system? It doesn't play the same as the arcade. I'm not saying it's a bad game as at all, just not the same as the arcade plus it came on two hu-cards in Japan.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  16. niftyifty

niftyifty Member

Great show on R-type Yakumo. Being a lifelong fan of the game(s) its nice to see this. Definitely appreciated.

17. smf

smf mamedev

Yeah this has been my favourite port for a while. Having a fixed character font in rom makes games interesting. The xevious port is also pretty funky.

18. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

+1 to accessing the high quality downloads - I keep a copy of all the episodes of Retro Core on my media server for repeat viewings, and am keen to do the same for Battle of the Ports :) I'm in no crazy rush right now, but will be looking forward to doing it when they're up on your site!

19. Yakumo

The next Battle of the Ports will be on-line soon and I WILL get the high quality downloads up on my site this week :)

I have a question. Would you guys like to see the high quality videos in 60fps? I'm guessing this would increase the file size but give a true representation of the games since they play and are captured at 60fps. YouTube will always be 30fps since they re-encode the videos.

20. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

That would be cool, though there could be some issues. Do the games you're capturing run at 60fps? I suppose if any of them output 60fps, it would still be worth it. However, some viewers' computers might have difficulty playing 60fps video. I'm not sure if YouTube allows 60fps video, but if they do, it seems to be pretty rare. Anyway, I guess you could just try it, and if people tell you they have problems playing the videos, you can change your policy in the future.