Bacteria SNES tabletop commission project

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by bacteria, Apr 26, 2016.

1. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Guy i'm doing the commission for (Anthony) is loving the work on the project, which is good to hear!

Installed the buttons, here is what it looks like. There is some dust and bits of hot glue strands present around the blue and green buttons (since removed), took photo before finishing for evening:
    P1030915.JPG

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Looks lovely but I'm wondering if one could be made with a microswitch stick? Or wouldn't there be enough room in the case?

3. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Yes, could use an arcade stick instead of d-pad however systems with an arcade stick seem to look disproportional as the stick is in the way. For example, a NeoGeo system someone else made (Marcel) looks fantastic .. however .. the large full height joystick .. looks obstructive IMO. Also, they are "clicky" when used as use microswitches not rubber contact pads.
    sfneo_blog.png
    Marcel used an old computer case for this, love the design and well made. https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/building-a-starforce-neo/

4. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

There is a good chance i'll have this project finished over the weekend; only have shoulder buttons to install and connect, and connect controller to motherboard - then subject to testing, complete.
    P1030924.JPG
    P1030919.JPG
    Screen is level and true, it's the angle of the photograph I got to reduce flash showing from camera.

5. Yakumo

the clicky aspect wouldn't bother me as I use microswitch joysticks for all my consoles when playing none analogue games. Even for my PC Engine I use a Hori microswitched stick.
    I can see what you mean about the hight of the thing though. How about if the shaft was cut down? A nice little stubby stick would be pretty nice to use (Japanese ball top style).
    Also, could you make one with a true 4:3 screen? I absolutely hate having my games distorted. Or maybe a 16:9 screen with a 4:3 option?

6. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

I personally prefer 4:3 aspect screens to widescreens too, although widescreen aren't too bad and yes, these screens have 4:3 option however of course you lose about 1/4 of the screen area. If there is space, I always prefer 4:3 screens, and larger screens like 8" PS2 screens are lovely (although heavier).

The case is just too small to take a 4:3 screen that is 5" given the size of the surround, if you notice in the photo above, there is little extra height (allowing for the metal frame around a screen) for a larger screen, and also screens like PSone (I still have a couple) have motherboards also too large as well.

7. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Project is finished, i'll make the video tomorrow or over the next days and upload it when done.

8. Tommy1603

Tommy1603 Active Member

Looks really good, looking forward to seeing the video.

9. Yakumo

Any news about the video?

10. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

What screen are you using?

11. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

12. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

It's scary how cheap those things are now!

13. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Indeed. I liked the PSone screens however the boards are too large for this system. Also of course the screens are rare and very expensive. That reminds me, I have an unused PAL PSone screen, i'll have to list it on ebay! ;o)

Anyway, video is made, system completed.