Bacteria mini-guide - Making a d-pad assembly

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by bacteria, Sep 26, 2009.

1. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Making a D-pad assembly

(This document is nearly the same as the .PDF on my site). Thought I would start my tutorial guides with this one...

This document shows how to make a D-pad assembly from rubber topped tact switches, rather than cutting up controller boards. Rubber topped tact switches have that "mushy" feel when pressing - like on regular buttons on controllers.

First job, cut hole in case big enough so the d-pad cross moves freely.

[​IMG]

Then cut two perspex (or plexiglass if you prefer to call it) pieces out of 2mm thick material, bigger than the d-pad cross.

[​IMG]

Score and break the perspex with a ruler and sharp knife. Mark out the size, bigger than the cross itself. Perfection isn’t important!

[​IMG]

Cut out the hole, doesn’t matter how well as long as the hole is a couple of millimeters larger than the d-pad cross. I used a circular cutter on a dremel.

[​IMG]

On the top piece, drill holes for two of the tact switch pins. Cut off the other two (two from the short side). Hot glue to perspex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you see, nicely lined up with the d-pad cross.

[​IMG]

Used these computer screws, washers and bolts.

[​IMG]

Drill holes in the corners of the top piece of the perspex for the screws to go through, and just screw into the bolts. Hot glue the bolts to the bottom perspex piece. Place in position on case, check fits ok.

[​IMG]

Next job is simply to use general purpose glue under the bottom perspex piece, then when in position, hot glue the edges to the case.

[​IMG]

Put perspex walls on the four sides, or as I did, plastic beads. The idea is the beads stop the perspex dropping out of place and the screws keep the pressure down, you can adjust the screws slightly to ensure the d-pad moves freely as it should.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adjust the screws a bit until they feel "just right" when pressing the four d-pad directions.

*more guides on my Wordpress site* (over time, many will be made into mini guides).

--END--