Auto boot rom?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by redstar_dan, Jun 23, 2011.

1. redstar_dan

redstar_dan Active Member

Hi,

This may seem like a strange thing to ask, however I was wondering, is it possible on any of the everdrives to auto boot a rom? When having only one rom on an SD card. So the effect would be, the rom would load straight to game and no menus/front end would be seen after powering on the console.

Cheers.

2. BM-Viper

BM-Viper <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

You can flash a rom, pull the sd card and whenever you turn on the genesis and pick start game it'll play the previously flashed game. Should be the same for all of the EverDrives except the n64 one.

3. redstar_dan

Interesting, will it boot straight into the game when powering on the console? Or does it bring a front end up to continue play?

4. redstar_dan

Sorry for the double post. If you do not flash the rom, does that mean will you not be able to continue from a legit save, if you decide to swap between games? Apologies if I am getting confused here.

5. BM-Viper

BM-Viper <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

It'll load up to the menu, and you can continue from there. The way saves work is that when you flash/load another rom, the everdrive saves the contents of SRAM to the SD card. If you were going to load another game, you'd have to have the SD card inserted to load the rom from, so the everdrive would save the SRAM onto that SD card. If you wanted to then go back to the first game, you put the SD card in load that rom and the everdrive will reload the contents of that rom's SRAM.

6. zodiac1968

zodiac1968 Member

I've always thought a nice option would be to have the previously loaded game automatically start when the console is turned on, and to just flick the reset button if you want to load something else... The menu is basically the only thing keeping the various everdrives from giving a truly authentic experience, so if it could be avoided as much as possible, that'd be great. So maybe 'auto-start current ROM' could be an option in a future update?

7. redstar_dan

This is exactly what I would want. Well said :) Lets hope Krikzz would agree.

8. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

It takes all of 3 seconds for the menu to appear, and for you to hit the button on the first menu option, which is play last game (loaded). Let's be reasonable. At least my suggestion of a return to menu on reset on the Genesis is a huge time saver, when you're flipping through multiple roms at a time, testing them.

9. zodiac1968

zodiac1968 Member

So what, you'd rather complain about someone's suggestion than just have an extra option you don't have to use? This is a FORUM, no need to call fellow posters' ideas or suggestions unreasonable...

10. stealthcam

stealthcam Newly Registered

using reset to bring out the menu would mean compatibility issues, one of them is that you wouldn't be able to play X-Men

11. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

That wasn't a complaint, it was an observation on the validity of such a request, making the suggestion that in fact the Everdrive already does what you are asking. Furthermore, if you made the game load automatically, how could you ever get back to the Everdrive menu? You'd have to somehow be able to reactivate the menu, either by a series of button presses, or by removing the SD, I don't know? Krikzz has been asked about that kind of stuff before and said it wasn't feasible.

Again, I was asking for a feature that he already implemented on another Everdrive, which maybe Krikzz could implement without doing a ton of work. If he couldn't do it easily, I would say don't bother. Remember he doesn't make money on software upgrades to existing carts. I didn't say your request was unreasonable, I just asked that you and others take into account what I added because you're possibly asking Krikzz to do a lot of work to save you literally one or two seconds when starting the game (aka being reasonable).

That's why, like the Super Everdrive, there would be an option to turn it off. Are there really that many people chomping at the bit to play X-Men? ;-) I also know there are some issues with some SMS games, but again, that's why you could turn it on/off.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011