Atmosfear / NightMare SNES

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by drx, Apr 7, 2019.

1. drx

drx BLAST PROCESSING. SITE SUPPORTER 2015

Today we have a prototype of something you probably would’ve never expected. Believe it or not, there was an attempt to bring one of the best (or at least, most well known) VHS board games called “NightMare” (or “Atmosfear”, depending on where you live) to the SNES!

The game was developed by Beam Software, the same company responsible for Radical Rex, Shadowrun, and Tom & Jerry: Frantic Antics. The game was mentioned in a few magazines in late 1993, and in various parts of 1994 - but in name only. To our knowledge, the game was never formally previewed or reviewed by anyone and remained a complete mystery either or not the game was in production, or that it actually existed. The game was then canceled for unknown reasons.

Rather than have it modeled after the board game itself, this game takes the property and turned into a platformer instead - but with a twist. You play as a boy with a short range laser gun, completing various horror themed worlds while trying to avoid the Gatekeeper’s unfair rules. As you attempt to complete each level, you will be randomly interrupted by the Gatekeeper who will attempt to thwart your progress. The game appears to be almost complete, with the “Bathory’s Castle” level being the most unfinished.

http://hiddenpalace.org/News/Atmosfear_/_NightMare
    http://hiddenpalace.org/Atmosfear_(Jul_12,_1994_prototype)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Alex

Alex Member

I have this board game in my possession right now! Never knew that a video game version was even being considered. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :)

3. vbt

vbt Spirited Member

unexpected release thanks drx !

4. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Thanks! Looked really nice too, will be interesting to have a look at it.

5. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Awesome release! :D

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

I'm a big fan of the series and never heard of this! There's a new game in the series coming out in September of this year too! Thanks for sharing!

7. lwizardl

lwizardl Living The Dream

grew up with the board game, and have one today still. Thank you for releasing this I newer knew they was making a video game on it

8. limbofunk

limbofunk Active Member

This was pretty unexpected to see, but really interesting. The board game was such an odd niche thing, but that darn Gatekeeper was so iconic.