Atari announces new console "Ataribox"

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by sammyrms1, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

According to Atari CEO Fred Chesnais it will be based of PC hardware. It seems to be a full console but still trying to sell on the nostalgia factor. I don't have high hopes seeing what the Atari brand has become but it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

2. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Its not been "Atari" for years, with no hints as to what itll be and what games will be coming out for it there is no hype (bro), just pure shrugs

3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

The market needs another crash. Theres a lot of garbage pumped out for exceedingly high prices for an incomplete package that really doesnt serve anyone good.

If a crash can happen, its in the middle of a slow one right now. If anyone can speed things up, its the ones who did it the first time.

4. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

I do kinda second this, but it wont happen, its a multi million industry now

Problem is with the current gen is they are now making more powerful versions of existing machines, Nintendo are the only guys that are willing to ty new things, sometimes with a fail (WiiU) sometimes with a success (Wii)

Average Joe will buy an Xbox one X due to advertising, but wont own a 4K TV
    He/she will probably own a tablet and want to play games like Candy Crush on it
    He will try a new game (probably Fifa20) and wonder why its taking so long for the game to start due to updates

Current gaming is a bit of a clusterfug for the outsider thanks to yearly updates and games that look the bloody same

5. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

I can see there being a sort of mini-crash for AAA games, but unfortunately the games and business models we don't like are still making money. Even if it did happen we'd see just end up a lot more crowdfunded games, and the "Average Joe" would just end up confused. These days most consumers are happy with whatever is put out there.

6. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Hes probably already confused with all these "Toy games" (Skylanders, Lego dimensions, Amiibo extras etc)
    Something thats purely for "The kids" that even people like me dont get the appeal of
    all ready game shops and supermarket isles are full of figures for them
    And comic shop merch is full of bloody Funkopops

7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

The only thing keeping Atari alive in people's minds are JCPenney graphic T-Shirts and 80's nostalgia. Too bad the models for their Jaguars are being used by dentists now.

AUSTIN PEYTON likes this.
  8. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

I just hope it doesn't look like a toilet like the Jaguar CD combo did.

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

There won't be a crash like the one from the 80s. The particular circumstances of the time enabled it to happen. Today the same can't happen. That's not to say that bad things can't happen, but a similar disaster is unlikely.

As others have said, Atari isn't the same Atari anymore. Whoever is behind it is unlikely to have the money and will power to really get behind a new console in the same way as Sony or Microsoft. It won't be going toe to toe with big contenders. It would cost far too much money.

10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

An equivalent disaster would never happen a second time. Now on the other hand, a significantly bad one would certainly kick everyone into shape again.

11. miloxydia

miloxydia Spirited Member

I have my dreams of an actual new Atari console (just like I dream of a new Sega console) but those are just dreams. Probably a new retro console a step or two above the atari flashback.

Likely 2600, with some 5200 and 7800 games on a new redesigned controller. Possibly a handful of Jaguar games (Tempest 2000, Rayman, and Atari Karts, maybe attack of the mutant penguins. Not much else was good on the Jaguar). I doubt any Jaguar compatibility though.

The developer email has me very interested though.

If it is just PC hardware, it could be interesting. Not good, but interesting.

12. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

Idk, subscribed to the email notifications and received this in my email. From the looks of it, it might have newer releases?

Attached Files:

13. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

and it's crowd funded, interest lost.

I will get Hyperkin's Retron 77 just so I can play Beamrider off cart

Ashevent likes this.
  14. ReedSolomon

ReedSolomon I live in the games

If they gave it similar or slightly improved internal specs to a Nintendo Switch, and if you lifted it up it was a portable console and if you put the LCD face down and plugged it in via HDMI it was a home console it'd be interesting competition. Just make the front/top ports USB-C, make porting games to it from the switch trivial, and voila. But it'll probably be crap.