Assembler Vinyl collectors: What are you collecting?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GodofHardcore, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

My turn table is conected to my PC's very high end Xonar Essence STX Sound card via quality thick audio cables. From there I can record all my records for listening to on the move. The PC is connected to a Sony Cinema system although I mostly listen to my records through headphones.

2. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

I love this. The movie, the soundtrack, and the fact that there's a vinyl release of it.

3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

4. Nubcake

Nubcake Member

man that is some sick art on that Transformers album.

5. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

Right now I'm slowly turning my CD collection to vinyl. Latest pickup was the UK only 2xLP of "The Singles" by Basement Jaxx. I've also got some Burial and Discovery by Daft Punk.

I would not mind at all picking up the entire Roule and Crydamoure collections. Best French House ever. That and Take Me by Sedat The Turkish Avenger.

6. GodofHardcore

I want New Order's entire catalog on Vinyl. A few were recently reissued but the 80s stuff hasn't yet. The new Album is amazing I'll have to pick that up soon.

I'm heading to Manhattan next week to look for stuff I'll post my haul after I do.

7. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

I only just started dabbling with Vinyl, so far this is my prized possession.

[​IMG]

-doulomb

8. GodofHardcore

Is Hotline Miami 2's soundtrack as good as the first game's? The first game had a fantastic soundtrack.

I need to grab the Kung Fury soundtrack, Metal Gear rising and Far Cry Blood Dragon on Vinyl.
    There's also a Mario 45 that's quite rare I need to track down and pick up.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  9. thepokemask

thepokemask Why have a virtual boy when you can have a potato?

i just bought this rare record by A.T.C. a rap group from san francisco here is what it looks like

Attached Files:

10. Yakumo

Bought a new (2nd hand) classic deck today for 60 pounds shipped. Should be here on Monday. Direct Drive Technics SL-1300 with SONY XL50 pick up. Anyone know much about this deck?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  11. GodofHardcore

if it's a direct drive it should last forever with only the needle needing to be replaced every now and then.

12. Yakumo

The Technics arrived today so I wasted no time cleaning it (it was filthy) and setting it up. The main shift needed a bit of WD40 to keep the speed solid but apart from that it was pretty straightforward. Not bad for a system labled as junk.

The sound quality as you'd expect is fantastic. No hum, background vibration or any other unwanted sounds present. I'm very happy with it.

Some quick pictures taken with the phone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. GodofHardcore

That Cartridge/stylus is not fucking around.

14. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Well, to be fair it isn't anything special... a fiver on eBay.

Stylus is important - doesn't matter how good the deck is, if the stylus is worn out it's going to sound pretty bad. Given the age of deck I'd say it's certainly in the 'used' range. I'm no expert on audio but I've always had good stylus' on my decks - anything in the 70-80 euros bracket is a good starting point. Stanton, Ortofon, etc... it isn't a world of difference but there is a difference.

I'm actually more intrigued by the SL1300 - I have two SL1200's and a friend owns a 'National Panasonic' deck which was the precursor to the Technics deck... but I'd never heard of a 1300? I know the difference between a 1210 v 1200 is instant pickup (the 1200 doesn't have it) but what's the difference between a 1210 and a 1300?

15. Yakumo

Actually that stylus cost more in the line of 50 pounds, not 5 pounds and it's brand new :) put it on fresh out of the box myself.

Hmm, maybe the SL 1300 is a Japanese only table? There are some differences from the SL1200 series. I'll dig up some info I read.

16. Yakumo

Ok, after some net surfing it seems the SL1200 and SL1300 are pretty much the same apart from the SL1300 being fully automatic.

17. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

In that case, I humbly eat my hat.

:)

18. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

SL1210 mk2 also has a voltage switch unter the table (110V -- 220V). Really convenient if you ever want to use it in different countries, like some DJs certainly did.

19. Yakumo

Didn't know about that. Quite handy for traveling DJs as you say. Pretty sure the SL1300 doesn't have that but then again it does give the strobe markings for 50Htz and 60Htz electrical input. That could be something about Japanese electricity in the 80s though.

20. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Nope, voltage switch looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure this was only added with traveling DJs in mind and it's unnecessary for 99.9% of regular users for sure. It was a determining factor for me though as I bought the Technics in Germany with the plan to be able to use it without a convertor later in Canada :)

The 1300 came out prior to the 1200 and was more consumer-oriented. Most notably it was cheaper due to using servo (as opposed to quartz), had somewhat more speed inaccuracy, lower dB and is overall more mid-end in terms of performance compared to the later sl-1200 and 1210.
    [​IMG]

But it seems that the SL-1200 catered more to a commercial DJ audience rather than home consumers. I guess most users including me wouldn't really notice, but it's good to have it if you're a hipster :p