Assembler Vinyl collectors: What are you collecting?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GodofHardcore, Feb 20, 2015.

1. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I picked up a Technics SL-1600 from a friend. Need to calibrate everything and get a new needle for it but liking it so far. Only records I own are video game sound tracks (Halo, Machinarium, Last of Us) or stuff I reallly like (Mandatory Fun, Random Access Memories amongst others). Not really into buying old vinyl as my tastes would demand things be in great shape and of a high quality pressing.

I've heard about "white hot pressings" that seem worth looking into but the prices in that article were astoundingly high.

2. K-Panggg

K-Panggg Familiar Face

I've just started collecting vinyl after a long time of wanting to do it but not having the financial means to get records.
    Yesterday Tchoin and I raided two flea markets in Dublin and came out with this loot...

[​IMG]

i'm quite happy with my finds, specially for being a first day of Vinyl hunting, got some good classics, some of which are in mint condition (Pink Floyd, Cat Stevens, Deep Purple and Paul Hardcastle)....
    I had to clean all the rest of the records as they were very dusty, but most of them seem to be in pretty good condition.

My next purchase will probably be a turntable, as I don't have one at the moment.
    I want to go with a retro look and style; but with digital capabilities as well. I was thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrohome-W...id=1441018995&sr=8-1&keywords=retro+turntable

In terms of what I'm looking forward to collecting I'd say I'll stick to classic rock, 1920-1930's jazz and some opera (specifically Pavarotti LPs).

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I really don't like so called "real music" I find it extremely dull. I would like that Paul Hardcastle album though. I like quite a lot of his work. One of his big hits, The Wizard was used as the main theme for the UK music show, Top Of The Pops for many years.

I love 80s British pop and electro pop the most followed by the likes of Survivor, Guns & Roses and early Deff Leppard. At the other end I'm very happy listening to Billy Ocean. Man, that guys got a great voice even now.

4. K-Panggg

K-Panggg Familiar Face

I'm not much of a poppy person myself; I like some pop from the 90s and 80s, but I'll leave that for Spotify for now...

The Hardcastle vinyl was the best bargain of the day. It's 19 (destruction mix) on one side and three other songs on the B side (I don't remember the names). The price for that was 2 euro. I don't think the seller at the Flea market really knew what it was...

With my taste of music, my collection probably won't be something UNIQUE, as it's pretty much the standard stuff for people who like Rock and Classic Rock; then again, I just started this collection and I'm looking forward to enjoying the music with the distinct sound of Vinyl.

5. Yakumo

I think you'll have a great time finding vinyl. It's my new pass time. Although I own a lot of stuff digitally or on CD I'm still buying the records. My newest vinyl is from 2014 which is the Pet Shop Boys, Electronic. I have it on CD too but just had to get the vinyl. Funny thing is that album comes on 2 records even though it's not such a large album. The vinyl is also quite heavy. Needless to say it sounds amazing. Even digital music sounds good on vinyl.

The biggest problem with vinyl are the prices. You did well on the Paul Hardcastle 12" single for 2 euros but there will come a time when you find a record you must have but it cost a fortune. I have quite a few on my list. Stuff that is very rare even in the pop music world. One such song is Run With Us which was only released in Canada and the UK in limited numbers. It was used as the end credits music to the 80's animation, the Raccoons. It also featured as the end credits song on the indie movie, Hobo With a Shotgun.

6. K-Panggg

K-Panggg Familiar Face

LOL, yeah! I know that song from the movie... That movie was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but with that name I had to watch it....

Indeed, the prices of vinyl seem to be quite high for some items. For now, and because I'm just starting; I'll be visiting charity shops and flea markets a lot, maybe some garage sales (which are not done out of garages here in Ireland but out of car trunks) ... I can always get stuff online as well with ebay, etc; but I've seen the prices there are not as good...

The same person who sold me the Paul Hardcastle record an the Deep Purple double album wanted to charge me 50 euro for Pink Floyd's "The division bell", which is only 24 euro in Amazon.. so that was a bit counter intuitive...
    In any case, I'd say I'll be able to grow my collection for relatively low amounts of money, as I have a looooong way to go yet, and there are many albums I'm interested in that will come in quite cheap; for example I can find Glenn Miller and Al Jolson records for 1 euro in charity shops.... That will be my next move.

On another note; how do you care for your vinyl?
    I'm interested in hearing what makes you decide not to buy a record in terms of how it looks like and why...I guess I still have to learn to identify how a record will sound by the way it looks. Other than the obvious avoidance of scratches and marks, I'm so new to the whole thing that I don't know what to look for.

BTW, regarding that single you're looking for that was only released in CA and UK, feel free to browse for it online here in Ireland; I'll be happy to receive it for you and repost it to where you are.

7. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

The last few records were these, which I bought in Japan:
    [​IMG]

2001 Space Odyssey OST and the first two albums by YMO. I love early electronic/techno and YMO were truly the Japanese techno pioneers! Their sound has heavily influenced my favourite video game music creator Zuntata. The similarity of YMO's early songs to Zuntata soundtracks such as for Rayforce and Darius is striking.

[video]

SO Remixer likes this.
  8. dj9mhz

dj9mhz Cool, can I hack it?

Awesome thread!

I collect a lot of funk/soul stax 45's. Reggae/ old country/ Disney records ( I live in florida so we get a lot of disney stuff at thrift shops) Classic rock/ drum and bass/ tons of jazz/ Picture discs. Really anything that sparks my interest. I'd say my rarest one are
    the stax 45's and Marilyn Manson smells like children and 40oz to freedom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

40 oz to freedom is a bitch to find now.
    I made a farily large haul for my birthday but the only ones of note are the hip hop pick ups.

Man it feels like space is a Neo Psychedelia album, amazing when I first listened to it each subsequent listen EHHHHHHHHHHH. Quality Control, if you were a Sega fan in 2000 then you should be familiar with the Jurassic 5
    [​IMG]

Next is this Classic No question my favorite rapper is Nas. So this was a must have

[​IMG]

10. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

YMO is quite nice!
    There's a rendition of Rydeen on the Korg DS-10+ Limited Edition software for the DS.
    [​IMG]

Last vinyl purchase (around february!):
    [​IMG]

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I recently bought a 7" by Flake called "Mieke". It's pretty rare, and they don't seem to show up very often. In addition to "Mieke" (which I assume is the same as a track on their one LP), it also contains 2 songs - "Science Diet" and "Take A Swig" - that I've never heard before, and that (as far as I know) have never been released in any form other than this 7". It's not available anywhere on the internet either; I've looked pretty extensively. Flake (or Flake Music) was the precursor to the Shins. The Shins were a side project of Flake Music originally, and they get their name from a song by Flake Music (The Shins). However, even though they're essentially the same band, they have a very different sound. Once I listen to this record, I'll have heard everything they ever released. The record has already been delivered, but I haven't been able to listen to it yet because I'm out of town.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  12. Yakumo

I've been buying a few 12" singles with mixes and albums that I used to own on cassette back in the 80s.

[​IMG]

A group that started off big but never did last that long. The British Jackson's as my dad would call them, Five Star.
    [​IMG]

13. ElectricCo

ElectricCo Rapidly Rising Member

I'm not a vinyl collector but I've finally decided to grab some of my fav artists/albums. I too don't have yet a turntable but I got my eye on a SL-B2 Technics I saw recently on a local fleamarket. The seller has been back and forth with it at least for 3 weeks now. Today I had the change to inspect it better while he told me the story about it. Truth or not, I think I'll bite the bullet and take it next week (hopefully he'll still have it).

[​IMG]

As for records, these were my findings on my first incursion. Averaging 2€ each, records themselves are VG. Covers have more wear to it.
    - Changes, Bowie, double LP, portuguese press
    - Dancing in the Streets, Bowie & Jagger, maxi-single, spanish press
    - Same, Vaya con Dios, also a portuguese press

14. GodofHardcore

I encountered my first Faulty run. I got Temples (a great 60s throwback band) Sun Structures both my copies had pits on side B. A real bummer because that is one sick ass album.

I'm going to use the refund money to pick up some Iron Maiden and metal up my collection.

15. Yakumo

I've got the best album ever coming from the US. Cost me a total of 33 US dollars which is only 3500 odd yen. The same album in Japan cost 7800 yen and that's used. The one from the states is apparently still factory sealed.

16. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Afternoon folks, glad to see theres a real vinyl discussion going on these days!

First and foremost, proceed at your own risk, it's beat.

Picked this up off discogs for a bargain price and you'll see why, I now fully understand the grading system for vinyl and that Good+ = Terrible while Fair = Terrible -

It's a difficult to find LP, it's both scarce (a DnB LP pressed in the late 1990's) and expensive when it shows up, so when I found it for sod all I practically jumped at the opportunity, I can see why it was cheap though. I'll probably be returning it or... something (US based seller) since G+ does not apply to vinyl that skips and this skips (at the back end of my favourite fucking track no less)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VG+ in future for me, on both accounts. I'd probably rather go without than see a beauty like this be absolutely beat.

is Retro still around these parts? If so should I stand still while you give me a bollocking?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
  17. Yakumo

I total agree with your complaint about the discogs system. Bought two 12" singles from the UK. Both were listed as VG to mint. Sure, the actual records are in fantastic condition but the sleeves look like shit. They're what would be ranked as B- or C in Japan. When I read Very Good I expect it to be almost new, not worn with discolouration and stickers on it.
    The western level of grading is awful. I've sold stuff that looks like shit in the past (marked as C-) yet buyers are happy with the quality and say I under rated the item. Man, I must be living with a ultra mint collection of everything by western standards :D True that most of my stuff is as new though.

By the way, the record you bought would be ranked C- over here. The rating is as follows:

AAA - New
    AA - Mint
    A - Excellent Condition
    B - Some very minor marks
    C - Scratched or cover damage
    D - Junk

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  18. GodofHardcore

I do like that Grading system over what's used here. VG G EX ect is just too vague.

19. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

The system isn't bad, it's internationally used. As always, it's the Western sellers who likely are too stupid/greedy to judge their items properly.
    Here's a list of what exactly you can expect from records according to how the separate components are graded (sleeve, record, insert separately according to P / VG / VG- / VG / VG+ / NM / M- / M: http://www.discogs.com/help/doc/mp-grading
    It's very precise if used properly. Records as a whole cannot be "VG to M" if only the record is mint but the sleeve is crap. Any good seller will grade sleeve and record separately, I'd be careful if they don't.
    This system is also widely used in Japan though, at least in Kanto region where I went to many shops.

No shit, you live in Japan :p
    The record shops in Japan generally have very nice condition items I found. It's probably also because all the stuff they put in their main inventory is protected in plastic sleeves, as opposed to most Western record shops which treat their inventory like landfill garbage where it gets touched, creased and damaged by every careless jerk who happens to come in.

I hate Western record stores, it's like entering the third world of retail practices compared to Japanese record stores. And for some reason it's the exact same shitty carelessness wherever you go... Germany, Canada, USA, UK, France. All the same bad condition, with the exception of very few shops with higher standards. But in Japan, that exceptionally high standard is pure business basics.

20. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

I've added a cardboard stiffener to it to protect the clearly quite damaged sleeve and will keep the LP's separate.

@ave Some of the plastic sleeves you talk about are actually quite dangerous.

The thick ones with "crimped edges" that have a rather plasticy smell to them are perpetrators of a process called "off gassing" that leeches through the sleeve to damage the vinyl. It creates a lot of surface noise and has essentially written off every copy of a rare pop punk LP.

Also just noticed this - "Last edited by a moderator: Yesterday at 12:04 AM", that's pretty cool although possibly disheartening, I may need to give the rules a read through again but not sure what in my post could have led to it being edited.