Assembler Vinyl collectors: What are you collecting?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GodofHardcore, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Two recent pick ups. Adrian Gvrvita's Classic which was bought just for the title, write a classic and the new Pet Shop Boys single (imported from the UK), Say it to me. This 12" features a few different mixes of the track.

[​IMG]

2. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

IMG_4101.JPG
    Just going to use the pic from my Instagram post to make it easier. Got Survive's album RR7349. The duo is best known for doing all the original music for Netflix's Stranger Things. Love the 80s thriller/electronic sound they have.

BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  3. Yakumo

Not really a record but something related. Today my Elac Début B6 arrived and all I can say is they live up to the hype. Said to be the best value for money bookshelf speakers out there by all the most hardcore reviewers.

The thing is, in the US these cost only 280 US dollars - Amazon link to prove it - https://www.amazon.com/Debut-Booksh...&qid=1476275117&sr=8-1&keywords=Elac+Debut+B6

But in Japan they cost 70,000 yen, that's 673 US dollars. Why the hell are they three times the price over here??? Again, Amazon link to prove it - https://www.amazon.co.jp/ELAC-エラック-...&qid=1476275183&sr=8-1&keywords=Elac+Debut+B6

Luckily I only paid 32,000 yen for mine as they were ex display behind a glass case so they still look new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Digmac likes this.
  4. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I'm due for a huge vinyl haul. Either heading out to New York or raiding Ebay. I need NEED a copy of New Order's Substance 1987

5. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

That's is a really good New Order album to get. Though try to find the 12in version of The Perfect Kiss, it's pretty epic compared to the edited down version.

6. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

Snip

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. Yakumo

The B5s are also really good speakers. I'm sure you'll get a great sound from them. I did consider the B5s at one point but since I'll be using these speakers for at least 10 years I splashed our on the higher spec.

8. GodofHardcore

I need a new sound system myself. My Turntable has been plugged into an RCA all in one system that's about 10 years old and the CD player on it is busted, as in some smart ass tore the laser out of the CD Player. So I need something else. Thing is it's a bitch to find a sound system with a half way decent tape deck now.

Yeah all the songs I like are on it. Although I'd like to branch out to their other 80s stuff. The album they released last year was really good and their Ougties albums were good if not synthy enough.

With the prices Substance 87 fetch on ebay and amazon and even discogs it might be cheaper to just get the 12 inch singles of all the songs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  9. SpooferJahk

SpooferJahk *Insert title here*

I am starting to get into vinyl after getting Turn of a Friendly Card by The Alan Parsons Project at a local thrift shop for 99 cents. Recently just ordered a good turntable, the U-Turn Orbit alongside a few other LPs.

Those are:
    I, Robot - The Alan Parsons Project
    Wild Child - E.G. Daily
    OutRun - Kavinsky

This is new territory for me since I never listened to or used vinyl in my 24 years of existence but now I want to. It's not so much the quality that has me interested or the popular trend of collecting vinyl, but the experience. Something about getting that record out, putting on the turntable, and dropping the needle on it is very exciting despite it just being the basic process. Have the same feelings with my recent interest in cassette tapes and even CDs after getting a 5 CD changer which makes them even more exciting to use than before.

10. GodofHardcore

My next haul is going to be RANDOM

11. GodofHardcore

Part 1 of my random ass haul. Flying Lotus (AMAZING) Aphex Twin, Bill Evans and John Coletrane.

[​IMG]

12. SpooferJahk

I have a question for the vinyl record heads here, what is the best way to clean and maintain a record to eliminate almost all the noise from it? Been having serious issues with that as of late and want to know how far I should go as a newbie to the record medium.

13. UnrealNStuff

UnrealNStuff Robust Member

Anyone here got a spare Rats & Star Vinyl with Megumi No Hito on it? :p

14. Yakumo

There is no one answer. The real audiophiles will come up with the most stupid expensive ways to clean your records. In reality it's not that expensive to clean them. I use alcohol free wipes (designed for babies bums) then let the record dry naturally. Following that I pop it on to the turn table let it spin while holding the anti-static carbon fibre brush over it to take away any micro dust particles that may be in there.

Also, your turntable, amp and stylus all have an effect on the playback quality too.
    If you are interested I'll make a live video showing just how a record should sound after cleaning. You should get very few crackles if playing on decent equipment.

15. SpooferJahk

That would be great and the wipes sounds like a good suggestion, but does it get into the grooves very well? I understand the biggest thing is getting something that will get into the grooves and I may have gotten a cleaning kit that is not great. Using a 2007 RCA Discwasher brush which may not be doing the trick since I read that it is a ripoff compared to the old one from the 70's and 80's. Also use an anti-static brush, that was necessary when I got the turntable from the official site.

Also, is it true that records pressed in the 70's and early 80's are naturally going to be a wee bit noisy? Since it was way before my time, I read up on the 70's Energy Crisis and I understand it affected records of that time when pressed. I have Alan Parsons I, Robot and it is a bit crackly during the silent parts but when it is loud it sounds fine.

Also to give an idea of what my equipment is, using a U-Turn Orbit equipped with a Grado Labs Black Stylus which is not high end, but for the price it sounds nice. It is plugged into a TEAC AG-V8050 receiver which I can attest still sounds good for something from 1998. Already tried it on a brand new record, Kavinsky's Outrun which sounds glorious.

Sorry for the long post, still learning since I grew up around records thanks to my parents, but understandably was never allowed to touch them as a youngster so I am VERY new to this.

16. GodofHardcore

I use a microfiber cloth intended for glasses, I spin the record and GENTLY wipe off the dust as it spins, don't put too much pressure on the turntable or you could damage it.

I suggest checking out two You Tube Channels if you're new to collecting vinyl, Channel 33 RPM and Vinyl Eyez I learned alot about this hobby just from watching them.

17. SO Remixer

SO Remixer Lovely Sweet Dream

[​IMG]
    These two singles came in today. Both either by Piper or their lead guitarist/vocalist. (Piper is great, severely underrated city-pop/aor group from the 80s) Both singles (and the entire record the second one is from) are both undumped so I'm gonna work on digitizing them with on my on friend's player when I get a chance.

18. SpooferJahk

I am subbed to Vinyl Eyezz but I just checked Channel 33 RPM and he got an instant sub. Lead me to a good modern version of the Discwasher that will be WAY more effective than the one RCA is selling today that I got. Thanks for the mentions.

19. Yakumo

I'll do a video tomorrow for you using a 60's, 70's 80's and a brand new record from this year, 2016.
    The wipes I use do get in to the groves quite well thanks to the micro fibers.

sorry to say this but US pressed records were some of the worst during the times you mentioned. Japanese and European pressed discs from the UK or Germany were not effected. This is why I try to avoid 80 US pressed records.

Your set up isn't too bad by the sounds of it. Yes, it's not the best but it's good enough for someone getting in to records.

20. SpooferJahk

Thanks, I did invest in a better cleaner for records, the GrooveWasher which is from what I have seen and heard, is a good replication of the old RCA Discwasher brush from the 70's and 80's. Was using the modern one sold today which I can attest, is not very good.

Yeah, thanks for that heads up. In the future I will definitely look towards those pressings when getting albums of that era. Kinda fubared ordering a few new ones from the US recently that are brand new, but I can live with a few clicks and pops that are minimal as expected with the format. I mean I do listen to cassette tapes on that stereo setup so some noise does not bother me too much. :p

Thanks, maybe when I move up the ranks work wise (Still in the down low starting out here in the US as a youngster, the part-time life is indeed special! :p ) I will definitely upgrade but even with the lack of REALLY high end equipment, I can still hear the differences between analog and digital very clearly.