Assembler Vinyl collectors: What are you collecting?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GodofHardcore, Feb 20, 2015.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Curious since It's a Hobby I'm new to. I'm mostly focusing on Jazz, but blues, Metal, classic rock, House and hip hop might tinkle in as I find it. I'm also on the look out for Japanese stuff. There are a handful of old Anime soundtracks out there also, Japanese Jazz is awesome stuff since Jazz has been part of Japanese culture since before World War II I believe. But finding it is not easy.

2. AntiOxi

AntiOxi Site Supporter 2015

Mainly hiphop (both international and Japanese) and (Japanese) jazz. But when I go digging in the crates I try a lot of different genres as well!
    It's a shame a have to sell most of my vinyl when I go to Japan. However I really like Japanese vinyl stores so I will def build it up again :)

3. GodofHardcore

Yeah right now I'm waiting on a copy of Afrkia Bambataa's Planet Rock. Gonna start the Hip hop wing of my collection off right. I've yet to do any crate digging but plan to when the weather gets nicer. There are about 5-10 Record shops in my area. Plus next time I'm in New York I'm going nuts.

Someday I'm raiding Shibuya and London.........someday.

4. lwizardl

lwizardl Living The Dream

Myself I have a small collection of random stuff, I think what I will mostly be trying to grab will be the rock music I grew up listening to and then grab some hiphop, etc as I find them. I did make a couple videos detailing everything in the records collection both 45rpm and 33rpm showing if I have them in the album or just loose records. The one I think is the best part of the collection is a sealed master of the universe record, i think it is one of those story book ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgx-GRLIKkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lkA4Zz0zPw

5. GodofHardcore

Far more interesting collection than most people on You Tube. I also have Led Zeppelin II but I have the 2014 180 gram reissue that has a 2nd record with studio outtakes and demos.

6. lwizardl

thanks man, I can say I have a very open ear for music, I like a little of everything. Awesome man I have not got any of the newer vinyl stuff yet, I'm still working on getting a good player. The last 3 I bought didn't wok.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  7. GodofHardcore

8. lwizardl

I found a cheap player but it seems to be broken its a old portable unit that used to be played in schools. It is a Rheem Califone 1430a

[​IMG]

most likely I will end up just buying a working sherwood, jensen, or ION brand player if i can come across a working one at a sale.

9. GodofHardcore

that is all kinds of sexy.

I hear iffy things about Ions. I almost got one but the reviews were Eh, I settled on a Jensen.

10. lwizardl

I figure the ION players I can find randomly for like $50 just didn't want to spend that on a brand I do not trust yet. but I may get to the point where I do buy one.

Yeah the player I bought from a yard sale for about $10 figure once repaired might be a neat little player. Has built in speaker in the case.

11. GodofHardcore

old players still work most of the time, usually just need a new cartridge

12. lwizardl

yeah the rheem play I have has no power when I tested last time, going to guess just needs a good cleaning and maybe some replacement parts. I plan to buy a new cartridge and also pad for the record to sit on.

13. noahstauff

noahstauff Active Member

You have a Califone too?! Hahaha I got mine from a school too ironically. If you want a quality Player look for a Technics I own an SL-1360 which is a changer model. I got it from a guy off Craigslist (noticed you live in MI as well so check it out) it was $100 and well worth every penny. They are a quality brand and in an expression "At the end of the Nuclear war there will be Cockroaches, Twinkies, and Technics Turntables left) the thing weighs about 35 lbs.

I listen to almost anything I can get my hands on, mostly classic rock from the 50s-90s. I do enjoy Progressive rock heavily as well. If you enjoy Prog. Rock I can recommend some bands / albums, Pink Floyd (duh) Genesis, Allan Parsons Project (Allan Parson was the sound engineer for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon) And if you like Genesis check out Mike and the Mechanics.

14. GodofHardcore

15. noahstauff

noahstauff Active Member

Wow, at the very least the cover is super trippy hahaha. But I'm with you, if I ever see anything game related I'll buy it in a heartbeat. If you end up getting that record, you should do a video review for us.
    :encouragement:

16. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I'm really in to vinyl but I hate the so called real music. That stuff bores the shit out of me. Time to ridicule myself again with more record buys. A Duran Duran set. All mint Japanese presses only 500 yen :D And the last Pet Shop Boys album, Electric. Although I have this on CD I had to get the record. What's strange is that this is a 9 track album but it comes on 2 records! Any reason for this? Quality reasons?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  17. GodofHardcore

I shall, might even play some of it. I have my eye on a few game related soundtracks on Vinyl. Sadly alot of Really bad games have vinyl soundtracks, very few genuinely good ones have soundtracks on Vinyl.

I may have just come across that first expensive record I MUST HAVE.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nihil-Vinyl-K...watch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-10&qid=1424609925

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  18. noahstauff

noahstauff Active Member

Is that a game soundtrack? I have one really rare album in my collection. I couldn't even find mention of it on the internet except for Discogs and Gemm rating it at over $100 its a Metal band compilation done by a Boston Radio station. None of the bands ever made it big. I was thinking about doing a Youtube video because you can't listen to it anywhere (that I'm aware of). Its called 97 Underground Beast from the East Vol.1 *Real time edit* Umm guess they're selling for $20 on Discogs now, lol. Funny how that works, I get something that's rare, then the price drops hahaha ah well. *end Real time edit*

19. GodofHardcore

Not a gamesoundtrack no, It's an Album by German industrial Metal ban KMFDM. Take Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate machine, and make every album sound like that. You Got KMFDM.

This isn't rare but another something I need to have http://www.amazon.com/Azuma-Kabuki-...1424785734&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=azuma+kubuki

20. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

I just buy my favourites, or things I see for cheap lol. I just ordered a copy of the breakfast club soundtrack and can't wait for that to arrive. One of my favourite groups put out a US tour only 7" and I managed to grab that for merch table price too thanks to a subreddit where people sell and trade.

I might put up a list of everything I have!