Armed / Aftermath for the Sega Saturn

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by A Murder of Crows, Oct 5, 2017.

1. finsterhund

finsterhund Active Member

Oh yuck I just reread the thread to the part where this guy won't let Crows release the dump if the original doesn't sell. Excuse me while I scream in the corner.:eek:
    Also, I find it funny when Crows is going on about being salty. You are in the presence of the king of salt. My pure and unrefined salt could kill a thousand very large slugs. So don't you worry about being the salty one.
    If only there was a way to "get hacked" and accidentally "loose the dump" but I doubt burning bridges in such a way would be beneficial in the long run.:(

2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

There's value in the combination of the disc and data, sure, but the market has shown that the data is more important in this case. I know more than just about anyone that the physical object is important, but I can't help but feel for the buyer. And who knows, maybe they don't care, maybe they see a damaged CDr as being worth it, but I can only speak for how I'd feel. I agree that the buyer should have asked questions if it ends up being an issue, and let me be clear that I'm not blaming you either, but honesty goes a long way towards building the sorts of relationships that can fetch the seller higher bids.

Ultimately its not my money, as I wasn't happy with what I saw in the auction in terms of condition, and the buyer is the deciding factor.

3. A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows Spirited Member

Let me clarify that. Don never said he wouldn't let me release it if it didn't sell. He asked me to hold off on releasing it for now. I don't know what he has planned for it. It is only a guess that he'd want to sell the original before having me release the dump, but I have no proof either way.

Borman, do we know each other in facebook land?

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I doubt it? I don't add many people on Facebook.

5. A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows Spirited Member

Ah well. Figured you might be a part of the OGXB thing. I know we at least chatted a bit about Emilio's orange halo xbox.

Borman likes this.
  6. XavGames

XavGames Member

Hello all!!! Let me introduce myself.

I am Don Russell!!! Yes I found these discs off craigslist ad several years ago.

They kept the discs in a spindle. And they were messed up in a duffle bag. Which really sucked. Yes some discs looked fine. And I am trying my BEST to have Ke (AMoC) to preserve and archive them. Along with Fireb4ll’s help.

Yes I plan to let everyone get the games. To see what they are like etc...

I threw Crime Patrol and Heart of Darkness on eBay. To fund my trip up to PRGE in Portland Oregon. It is not CHEAP! (Lodging, foods and gas) over 700 miles each way. A friend of mine drives me up there due to my health issues. Diabetes, kidney dialysis, impaired vision, charcot in left foot making it difficult to walk. High blood pressure and high cholestrol. I know that I should have been DEAD a long time ago! But miracle that I am still around.

Honestly with you all I doubt the items on eBay will sell at all. Also yesterday a good buddy of mine asked me if I wanted to buy his whole TurboGrafx/Duo collection. He is asking for $3,000. So I am trying to raise cash to buy that collection and help other Turbo collectors with their needs and wants.

And I owe $ or games to 2 friends of mine. So it is part of the reasons for the sales. $4,500 is not what I am expecting. Also I posted tons of pics of these discs in groups on FB. No one showed serious interest in these. Except for one dude who bought 3 or 4 discs from me. And I traded Armed and Bedlam to Drew Kearns for his Eyeful Home, Delisoba Deluxe. Along with Adventures of Lomax, Worms Armageddon for N64, Hack games for PS2. And some commons for the NES.

Sorry if my grammar sucks lol.
    Feel free to ask me any questions! I must admit that I suck with messages and emails. But will try to do my best to reply. Yea I asked if anyone was interested in buying or trading for these discs in past on FB.

Thanks and GAME ON!

Sorry for my long reply! LOL

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    DSwizzy145, Xzx123 and _XBOX_ like this.
  7. finsterhund

Then what aaaaare you expecting?

8. looptranzit

looptranzit Spirited Member

Went to PRGE 2015 & 2016. If you have never been, you will love it. Not only is it the largest retro gaming expo in the country it is easily my favorite expo I have been to. Tons of collectors and preservationists who all know their stuff and a lot of new blood getting into the hobby. Hope you get the funds and get to go. I can't make it this year. The best part of the show is the massive free play arcade that is open until midnight and the massive console play area so you can try out tons of games on many vintage platforms. One of my favorite booths is the AtariAge booth which shows off working prototypes and betas of all the upcoming homebrews that you get to try out. Many of them end up being free downloads, but the physical copies are a pretty penny for collectors because of the limited runs. It's a great way to spend the weekend for sure. I know they are expanding this year from 90,000 sq ft to 120,000 sq ft last I heard. Also be sure to check out their gaming museum in a separate room from the main floor that they started last year.

I also tried out SRGE 2016 and honestly found it way too small and a waste of my time.

XavGames likes this.
  9. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Wait! You mean Adventures of Lomax for the Sega Saturn?

XavGames likes this.
  10. XavGames

XavGames Member

Ha Ha I wish!!!! But actually for the Sony Playstation 1!

11. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Oh well. Thanks for clarifying it still.

XavGames likes this.
  12. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

XavGames Awesome to see here on this forum! I have about two questions actually, um.. how far was the Crime Patrol Sega Saturn port is before it's cancellation? Also how far was the Heart of Darkness Sega Saturn version went before cancellation? And a third i have is, what other unreleased Sega Saturn games you was able to obtain in that bundle or were those you'd mention already it?

Thank You very VERY much for actually preserving these for the Saturn and Retro Gaming community! deeply appreciated! :)

XavGames likes this.
  13. XavGames

XavGames Member

Hey there DSwizzy I believe that Crime Patrol is a complete game from the start to End.

Heart of Darkness for Sega Saturn I have a feeling that it has one or more than one level. The actual Sega Saturn systems just needs more memory. So that HoD can play on the actual system.

I do plan to sell all the discs. I can PM you the list of Sega Saturn protos/betas/pre production silvers discs that I have for sale or trade etc... thanks for your interest in these!

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  14. finsterhund

From what I've gathered, HoD for Saturn was just about finished in 1997. I've read that the game was almost complete but the decision was made to redo the entire code from the ground up in a different programming language. (Which somebody in another thread on this very forum went into more detail about but I can't remember where. I'll be able to find it again probably later) I remember reading in an interview with some PC gaming magazine that I also can't remember (sorry) this was because some members of Amazing considered the game to be too hard and it was reworked, which was largely regarded as a choice of perfectionism. At what point the Saturn port was cancelled however remains to be seen. Originally, the publisher was going to be Virgin Interactive Entertainment. However, they were dealing with some financial troubles and likely had to cutback on their projects that they wouldn't be able to put out rather quickly. They pulled the rug out from under Amazing sometime in late 1996 early 1997 causing them to scramble to find a new publisher, around the time the game was reprogrammed. It was Virgin who secured HoD being a timed exclusive on the Saturn, and that combined with how much time was spent trying to find a new publisher evidently marking the supposed end of Saturn being viable market for games to be released for It went from Saturn timed exclusive and PC and Playstation to PC and Playstation exclusive with Saturn being dropped off the press releases around the time Infogrames won the bidding war to distribute HoD. This video I cut together features the E3 1996 display booth for Heart of Darkness, brandishing a (blurry but unmistakable) Sega Saturn logo next to the TV display. The in-game footage shown in this video features clips from the first two levels of the game with slightly varying enemy ai, sound effects, and one enemy that was cut from the final release. The trailer featured at the beginning of the video doesn't differ too much from the final trailer for the commercial release, the gameplay starts at around the 2 minute mark. Assuming they used the same playable demo disc for all trade shows at that time, this disc likely contains the first two levels and as demonstrated by A Murder of Crows' video includes the full opening cinematic.

DSwizzy145 and XavGames like this.
  15. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Cool! thanks for the great & intresting info!! :D actually you don't mind if i could take a look at the list of what you got?

16. XavGames

XavGames Member

Hey there sure I can send you the lists via PM they all are for sale or sale/trades. :D

17. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I've been actually selling my Saturn prototype stuff, but could you PM me the list too? Thx :)

Oh and many thanks for the release of Armed!

XavGames likes this.
  18. XavGames

XavGames Member

Hey there sure I can PM you the list! But please PM me in case I forget cuz several people wants the lists too :D

Segafreak_NL likes this.