Are you an early adopter, and if so, why?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Mechagouki, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

Once upon a time I would have considered myself an early adopter, I had a NES first Christmas they were available, SNES within a year of launch, Gameboy within a month of Japan launch, Lynx, Saturn at launch, Dreamcast at launch, but then I started to slow down, it seemed less important to have the latest console as soon as it was available, especially since the global library of amazing games continued to grow at rate no gamer could keep up with.

Both my two favorite platforms, XBOX and PSP, I didn't actually buy into until near to the end of their production runs, it's actually super fun to buy a machine and know that there is a huge back catalogue of games to explore.

Of course without a healthy number of early adopters, a system can wither and die. Do you still buy at launch? Will you continue to do so?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I used to adhere to a 2 year rule, but I got the PSP and XBOX Classic around their launch.

3. pwl

pwl You don't need a reason to help someone

I wish I could be an early adopter, but just don't have the money right now. Still saving for a ps4 or xbox one, not sure what to get yet.

If I could afford to buy early I would though and I'd buy both.

4. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Only happened with the Wii and stopped at the Wii. Never again. Launch times are usually a very dark age for consoles.

5. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  6. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

For me it was:
    Xbox 360 (Christmas after release)
    Wii (waited in line at Target over night for release)
    3DS (pre-ordered and got at midnight release)
    3DS XL (pre-ordered Majora's Mask edition, was shipped to me)
    Wii U (got on day of release)
    Xbox One (got on day of release)

I know I generally wind up without anything to play for awhile, but I dunno, I enjoy getting new systems when their new and experiencing launches, it's fun for me.

7. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

I'm an early adopter with Nintendo consoles. Probably because we used to be so late in getting the new consoles when I was a kid. First pre-ordered console I got was the original DS, because I had the money thanks to having a job at 16. Job sucked, but at least it gave me something I never really had; Money. I played my DS every day, morning, noon and night without fail. Project Rub became one of my favourite games at the time lol.

8. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

One, and only one console. Amazon Fire TV. Why? Because I was working at Amazon at the time, noticed the poster regarding a presentation for it's upcoming release, and decided that I wanted to hopefully get some of my games onto it.

These days, I almost never have time to play games, especially after I started my own company which feels like a 24/7 career. :)

Shogun.

9. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I usually try to give it a year or so. Usually the majority of bugs and issues are resolved by then. Also for the most part a few good games are available with more on the way shortly. After the XBOX 360's messy release, I'm very leery of new console releases.

10. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

My recent early adoption was the PS4, less than a year after the launch. And i only got it because it was a great deal. The White Destiny bundle costed 399 euros instead of 449, because of a promo from Sony to counter the launch of the Xbox One in Portugal. Not only that, i got more than 50 euros back because of VAT refund. I don't even care Destiny was the bundled game.

Finally, the Real lost a ton of value to both the Dollar and Euro since last October, making the deal even better. The Euro was around 3,02 Reais back then. Now it's 3,40 Reais.

Anyway, i usually wait a couple of year to get a console.

11. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

Never been. And I've become much more patient lately. Always have huge backlog anyway.

Won't buy a PS4 until 14nm APU revision.

12. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Consoles tend to get the worst games at launch - it's only a few years into release that the games really start to push the limits of the hardware, so it's pointless getting one on launch day (imho). The fact that they cost a fortune doesn't help either! Wait a year (or two) and the inevitable 'slim' version gets released as well, with all the hardware revisions, etc...

I say it's better to wait.

13. GodmanGen

GodmanGen Rising Member

Oh yeah, kinda lucky I can say.
    1) EU Release PSP (Day one) Versions 1000 and 2000
    2) JP Release PS Vita (First Import to Greece) (Won this one :) Thanks to TheSmashDoctor https://youtu.be/SAoVNh592s0 )
    3) Eu Release PS4 (Day one and still on FW 1.76)
    4) Probably doesn't count but many playstation collectables and "special" consoles that never reached the market of Greece

14. King_of_PS

King_of_PS Site Supporter 2015

Have been an early adopter for many years
    I regretted the ps4 though, as there were no decent titles for a long time.
    ended up selling it after 6 months, though luckily for about what I paid for it
    thinking of buying another soon though......

15. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

I use to be but after the wii u and the 3ds doing a wait and see approach for now on. Nothing seems concrete like it use to be.

16. Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man Rising Member

I wanted to give the XBox One a shot, namely because a lot of things promised had me really interested. While it didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted, I am happy with the system on the whole, though won't lie that waiting wouldn't have hurt in the grand scheme of things either.

17. proarturs

proarturs The force is with me

In my opinion, the best time to adapt a console is a year after it's released. That way the online services are stable, the launch games are cheap and all of the bugs for them are fixed. The console itself is usually in supply and cheaper.
    And that way new bundles are intruduced and we don't have to pay for things we don't want like the Kinect.

18. BookWyrm

BookWyrm Member

I am not generally an early adopter. I have a general one year rule that gives them time to work out the bugs. The only ones that don't fit this rule were PSVita (preordered), nvidia shield (less then one month), and NN3DS (gift 2 months).

19. ploder

ploder Rapidly Rising Member

I've never been an early adopter. It started out that way for me mainly because I was poor, but now it's mainly because I want to see how successful something will be before spending the money. There's also the fact that the games tend to be mediocre at the beginning and consoles tend to have problems with earlier models.

20. Vetus

Vetus Rocked 'N' Loaded!

Pretty much this, expecially for portable Nintendo consoles from GBA era and after. Even if they have good launch titles, it's a matter of time to release soon improved models. I was lucky enough to buy GBA SP instead of the classic GBA and after this I got DS Lite instead of the the first, fat DS and 3DS XL instead of the first, small 3DS.