Arcade pcb conversions and upgrades

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by drakon, Oct 19, 2013.

1. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

I got myself a new eprom programmer that also can program gal16v8 chips. So I converted some of my pcb collection into better games.

Common SF2 champion edition into knights of the round:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some cheap crappy cps2 game into street fighter alpha 3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some cheap crappy cps2 game into marvel super heroes vs street fighter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also converted some not-so-great cps2 game into alien vs predator I just didn't get a chance to take any pics or videos of it yet.

Lastly is my irem m92 ninja baseball batman where I added a rgb amp to get the brightness level to match my other pcbs and I adjusted the sfx / music audio balance so it sounds much better than default:

[​IMG]

It went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Because of this:

[​IMG]

And, because of this:

[​IMG]

It now sounds like this:

How do to the conversions:

First make sure your pcb can take eproms and doesn't use custom wiring. Download the game dump, unzip. Download the phoenix roms, unzip. Find a compatible pcb (I checked hardware compatibility for cps1 stuff by reading cps1.c from the mame programming files). Burn the images properly using eproms making sure you burn phoenixed roms to replace the original ones, this takes a very long time and lots-o-eprom chips. Download the pal chip dumps and burn them to gal16v8 chips if your pcb is compatible with those. Drop all your chips in and pray that it runs.

For anyone who's interested in wiring up the rgb output of a pcb to an ultimarc rgb amp (or probably any rgb amp) I had to use a voltage divider on the inputs to get the levels right for amping. Thanks to Tiido for this idea.

All these pcbs run 100% like the originals. No battery circuits are involved because they use phoenixed roms. Now there's less crappy / common games out there and more of the rare + better games. I also converted my sf2 into captain commando (which is why the eprom labels say cc on them) but I found knights of the round to be a much more fun game so I re-converted the pcb into knights of the round.

In case anyone is wondering converting some pcbs is much harder than others. In many cases it may not be possible at all to convert a pcb into a game you want due to the amount of custom circuitry or a different pcb layout.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Mad bootlegging skills, yo.