Anyone want to playtest my game?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by blueshogun96, Apr 2, 2015.

1. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

I searched the rules, but didn't see anything disallowing this type of post. If this isn't an appropriate thread, or if it feels spammy, feel free to close it.

I've been working on this title for a little over 2 years off and on, and the objective is simply to circle around a moving object without touching it. You are the little asterisk, and you circle around the red squares to destroy them. The non-red squares are power ups, and are activated only if you touch them directly. You can also slow down time on demand by right clicking, or double clicking. If you touch a red square, or touch the side of the screen, then the game is over. It's not 100% finished, as there's a few cosmetic things to be added, fixed, changed, etc., but it's polished to the point where people can play around with it.

To my surprise, I've been getting a very large amount of positive feedback on this. In fact, when I'd be working on this game on my Macbook while riding the bus to/from work, I'd get people randomly telling me how much they like it, and multiple people saying they want to see it on their smart phone, Steam, Windows Metro, PSVita, and even Wii U. Some of these suggestions came from representatives that work for their respective companies; Microsoft, Valve and most notably, Sony (this guy even gave me his card, offering to give my title a bit of preferential treatment). I almost won two game dev contests with it also (CodeDay and iFest 2014). So, I wanted to seek everyone else's opinion(s), is it really that good?

This was initially started as a fun project born out of an idea I had one night on March 18, 2013 (wow, I remember the exact date to this day). I didn't expect to take things as far as they have gone now, but if it's worth it, I'll go for it.

I've uploaded a beta version of it, so if you want (and can spare the bandwidth), you can give it a try:

Windows (27mb)

I'll upload the MacOSX build when I get a chance. Debian will hopefully soon follow. Android is currently broken atm, iOS isn't ready for TestFlight, and Blackberry10 is buggy and has crashes.

I made a GIF so you can see it in action (although it's based off of a really old build):

[​IMG]

I'd like to make a full video of it, but haven't gotten around to that yet either. All opinions, critiques and whatnot are welcome, but if you are thinking of a feature I could have added/changed, then chances are I've already considered it and decided against it (many of which are to prevent cheating).

Thanks,

Shogun.

EDIT: I wrote a HTML5 version some time ago so people can play on their browsers (Click here). It's terribly broken on some browsers, and has speed issues, but it does work and will give you a general idea of my game's mechanics. Be warned, the native version is MUCH more fun, as it runs at 60fps, multiple game modes, and overall a better experience.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

I'm not going to play it, but I will say that you should consider varying the shapes instead of just the colors. You are going to exclude a lot of people with poor eyesight or color blindness for even considering playing your game.

3. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I will give this a shot probably tomorrow and will leave my feedback. Looks very cool, nice pick-up-and-play game.

4. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Holy crap this is hard. I will say it would probably be a good Wii U or 3DS game, just because the stylus seems to be what it's made for.

5. BookWyrm

BookWyrm Member

I agree this would be better on a touch screen device it would easier to tell how big the movement is. Using the built in track pad on my laptop was quite hard to tell what I was doing. Also the white power ups are hard to see and hard to see that you have active.

6. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

The thread is fine - no problem getting feedback on your own creations!

I agree with the comments thus far. My thoughts (using browser version):

• Colours are confusing for the best of users. That list's gone. I didn't bother reading it. What's a blue square again? USE SHAPES. Oh look - a round thing with a fuse out the top - that's a bomb! And yes, it would be bad for colour impaired people.
    • The shapes are waaay too small on my crappy 1366x768 screen. Imagine if I'd used my 1080p display... or worse!
    • The control is a little clunky with a mouse. Aim it solely at smartphones/tablets.
    • Even with all that said, I got bored really quickly. Blow up a square... blow up another square.... what's happening next? Oh, the squares move slightly faster. It needs an instant hook - introduce the different SHAPES to the user, then give them a reason to keep playing.

Maybe it will show promise, if you can make it simpler (use shapes) and give it a hook to keep people playing.

[EDIT]

I just played again, and am confused.

I'd been looping the other symbols, which just blows them up (goes to show people don't read the rules! It did say TOUCH but it didn't say if you loop it, it'll blow up, too! That is an interesting twist... but probably needs clarifying). So, you just touch them, right? However, I can't touch the red squares, because the rules specifically tell me not to! Because if I do, what will happen is....

NOTHING!

Yeah, umm... that's a let-down! So I have to loop the red squares, but I'm not penalized for touching them at all?!

As for shapes - bombs, shields, slowing down time... CLASSIC icons used in lots of games there.

[EDIT 2]

Ahh! I played again, this time I died if I touched a red square. Much better! So.... was I invincible? Why didn't I realize? Ah yeah, I must have been. Perhaps the invincibility could be a bit more prominent? Again, don't rely on colours because of the visually impaired. Flash your character. Have a sound effect. Think about Mario with star power - he's flashing away and the music changed. A "bing" obviously wasn't enough to alert me that I'd become invincible.

By the way, I was playing in Chrome with 17 FPS, dropping to 13. It may have been why it seemed so slow and got boring quickly. I tried IE and got 25 FPS. However, the screen rolled up so I couldn't play! Browser play is a good idea, but these issues need fixing.

I'd strongly suggest aiming at the mobile market.

[EDIT 3]

OK, tried the download. 60 FPS. Damn, that's hard! You want to iron it out, have a point somewhere between. Get people used to the game. Having a story mode in the full thing and an arcade mode seems a sound move. It's a shame the browser version is so slow and limited, as you're more likely to get people to run a browser game than download an EXE. BTW, the download size seemed rather large for such a small game. Then I noticed the 16Mb WAV file. Uh yeah, use MP3!

Again, this screams out that it's not for mouse, it's a mobile game. And the icons are DEFINITELY too small and need to be shapes at that speed.

Yup, achievements, too - it's quite a nice little game. I'd probably put it on my phone, if it was a small enough size, as a timewaster / for challenging friends.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  7. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

I've gotten this from a few colour blind people at iFest. Even though I'm not colour blind, on some monitors, the colours can be a bit distorted and harder to distinguish for some. Initially, I was planning to use shapes for a different purpose, but I'll instead use it for the reason you've given above.

Thank you!

I definitely want to aim for Wii U, but the screen on a 3DS's resolution is a bit too small. When I first ported this game to iPhone, the smaller resolution of 320x480 made it really hard to play. This game plays best at 720p so far, and 540p is like minimally acceptable.

Well, sometimes it depends on the trackpad being used. Notebook PCs in my experience tend to have ones that aren't very precise, but the Macbook trackpads were much better suited.

Yeah, I'll do something about the white one; give it a different shape, and find some other way to make you look/feel invincible.

@retro, since I've addressed much of your great feedback above, I'll focus primarily on the 3rd edit.

I am discontinuing the browser version because there are just far too many issues with it to the point where I'm not willing to spend more time trying to fix it when I could be focusing primarily on the native version. It's more trouble than it's worth, although still a good learning experience, although I don't want to make any more browser games because of it!

MP3? There's a good reason to avoid that format, because of licensing fees. I plan to switch to OggVorbis later on, because it has good compression, open source and free to use. The reason I used .wav to start off with was because it was quicker and easier to add at the time.

And yes, it's defintely a mobile or console game (very NUI oriented), but I've gotten users that like playing it on PC so far. Some of the achievements are broken and need to be fixed, among other things.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially on the colours/shapes thing. I have an idea on what to do next.

Shogun.

EDIT: And yeah, as the resolution increases, so should the size of the shapes.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  8. Doomtrain

Doomtrain Active Member

just got done fooling around in the html5 version. Man I had a hard time at first but then again maybe I suck. The game has that strangely addictive, cookie clicker type vibe. I could totally see this as a mobile game or even a playstation mini/eshop release.

9. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Ogg Vorbis would be even better! Start as you mean to go on, I say ;)

The browser version seems to be HIGHLY dependant on hardware. On my gaming laptop (1080p) it runs at 40-60 FPS. It's still not a mouse game for me, though.

10. BookWyrm

BookWyrm Member

I am using a macbook pro it runs at 60 FPS also it was much easier to play when using a PS3 remote instead of a mouse.

11. StriderVM

StriderVM Peppy Member

Would be awesome if you could compile a 3DS (CIA) version of this. Seems to be a nice fit with the 3DS. Touchscreen and all. :)