Anyone still have their first video game?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Eviltaco64, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

Kirby Super Star was mine. I specifically remember seeing it at a K-Mart on an open rack with Genesis and Saturn games and asking if I could have it for my 5th birthday. To my surprise, I got it, and it turned out to be an excellent game that I'd consistently go back to and replay.

I lost my original cart at some point in 2001 and was always looking for it on and off for the next few years. I always wanted to re-buy it, but it's a popular game and it's gone way up in value.

Just a week ago, I found out an old friend had it the entire time when he brought his SNES over to my house. So somehow more than 11 years later, I ended up getting my first video game back. One more sitting and it'll be 100%. :)

Does anyone still have theirs or at least remember what their first game was?

I think there's got to be some interesting stories behind this sort of thing among so many hardcore gamers and collectors, mainly because those early experiences that led to our video game interests of today may not have been the same at all if they were mediocre.

2. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Among the very first games I played as a kid were original duke nukem and commander keen. Since these were shareware, I don't even recall if I had actual disks of them or what.
    When I was still really young (under 10 years old) I had some atari 2600 games I used to play from a yardsale, and those are all still kicking around my parent's house.
    My first contemporary console was a psx, and Battle Arena Toshinden 1, the longbox game, was the first game i bought for that system. I still have all the pieces of it (disc, manual, box), although the disc and disc box aren't in great shape anymore.

3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Oh of course. Mario Kart 64 was my very first video game. Played it so often it's not funny, it even still get's played today, it's a classic many people can relate to.

4. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Sadly no. My first videogame was a Master System with Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Gangster Town and World Grand Prix. But i already played games on my older brother's Atari 2600.

Anyway, i still have the first videogame i bought with my own money. A PS1 SCPH-1001. The first game bought for it was Final Doom. Before that i only rented games for it.

5. Ho-Oh.x7

Ho-Oh.x7 Member

The first game I remember having was Super Mario 64. My mum has told me in the past that before she got divorced I used to play games on my dad's computer and she got me a 64 because it was way way cheaper than a computer for me. Personally I can't remember that at all. When I first got SM64 I had no idea what to do and going around in an almost deserted castle made the whole game feel weird. My mum's friend's son who ended up becoming a good friend of mine I still see every so often ended up helping me out. To this day I still think its a pretty good game, but I still haven't shaken off that strange feeling I got playing it and because of that I couldn't call it as good as others make it out to be. I got it on the DS many years later, but only because another of my friends did and the fact that besides Wario Ware which was too unique for me there were no decent launch titles. Both copies of the game are now gone, the 64 cart went on eBay last year and my DS copy was lost after I lent it to someone. I couldn't say I really care about them though.

The first game I really liked was most likely Mario Party. I never owned the game, but I would rent it every weekend. It was one of the few games my fucking stupid 6 year old mind (cant remember exactly how old I was) could play and get good at. I was (almost) always coming first and would throw a fucking tantrum if chance time or some other bullshit like a Bowser related event screwed me over. Nowadays I can't say I like it that much because there's just way too much luck involved and I don't have people coming over every weekend to play with.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  6. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

My first video game system is a Genesis my mom bought me in 1989, i was 6 or 7 years old then and the thing cost quite alot as it was the very latest :p The first game i had with it was Truxton, I had chosen this game myself. I like how my very first game was a shmup :) Still my Favorite genre to this day.

My mom died from cancer in 1990 however I still have the very same Genesis model 1 she bought me and it is still my main Genesis console. I since bought it a Sega CD model 1 and yes, i still have my Truxton Cartridge :)

I will never sell this console for has long as i live.

7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I think, technically, my first videogame was Super Mario Land for the Game Boy, but I don't really count that, since I only had it for a few days before my parents took it back. My first real videogame, I think, was the Genesis 6-Pak - a collection of 6 games on one cart that came with the Genesis. I've kept the same copy of that game after all these years - it must be 17 or 18 years. In fact, I still have all the same copies of all my Genesis games that I had as a kid, with the exception of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - which I traded for Sonic 3D Blast (that was a poor decision). I did, however, have to give away all of my 32X games. I've given away and sold a lot of my games over the years, but I'm happy to say that I now own almost every game I've ever owned (again), with a few exceptions.

8. Garrethking

Garrethking Rapidly Rising Member

Sure do! DJ Boy and Thunder Force IV on Mega Drive. Good times.

9. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

The very first game I bought with my own money was Space Harrier for the Sega Master System. My mum used to buy us Mastertronic 1.99 (1 pound 99 pence) games for our CBM Plus 4 back in the mid 80s though.

10. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

My first game was "Die Maus", an adventure game for GameBoy that was based on a popular German TV show for kids:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/943686-die-maus/images

I still have it. I always took good care of my things and even though the box was always around in my room since I was a kid, it's still in immaculate condition with mint box, cart and manual (not even a crease) like all my other GB/N64 games. I don't know what other people did with their stuff so we have so many shitty looking retro games nowadays, my stuff all looks like new.

That's my first "video game", but I played computer games prior to that. I wasn't allowed any consoles or even handhelds before the age of around 7-8.

11. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

My first was the NES and SMB/Duck Hunt. Back in 1989 I went to visit my aunt and uncle over the summer and they had tournaments with my cousins after dinner seeing who would get the furthest with one life. After seeing how terrible I was they bought me one and it was waiting for me at home. The next summer I visited them they let me go first to see how well I progressed and ended up clearing the game 3 times in a row without losing. For that reason I can never part with it.

12. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Rapidly Rising Member

My first game was Yoshi's Island. I think I got it for my fifth or sixth birthday. I had video games before then, but they all belonged to my brother.

13. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

Bump n' Jump for the Intellivision. Still have it.

14. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

Sure, Wipeout2097 for the good old Playstation. How could I get rid of that? I never sold a game that I'm the original owner of.

15. synbiosfan

synbiosfan Spirited Member

I got rid of my original 2600 games in the 80's so no.

16. ArgyleEyes

ArgyleEyes Rising Member

Still got my genesis and sonic games *thumbs up*

eventually got a power base converter just to play ghostbusters ;D
    not exactly my first but my uncles had that on some computer when I was young ...i wanna say it was an apple 2 or something idr lol

17. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

I still have my Atari 2600 (light sixer) and Pac-Man. :D

18. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

I used to have a Commodore 64, tape deck and a buttload of games but they were bought used as a job lot from a friend whilst at primary school. I had so many games I can't really recall what was there but I have nothing left to show for it.

The first true console in our household was my brothers Sega Master System II with Alex the Kidd in Miracle World built in.

The first console I had a stake in was a Super Nintendo Entertainment System with Super Mario All Stars, but it was a joint gift, thus half mine, half my brothers. Sadly we had a break in some months later whislt we were visiting an aunt and it was stolen.

I seem to recall an interim period with a second hand Sega Megadrive or two but I forget the specifics.

It probably wasn't until the Nintendo 64 came around that I had a console that was all mine, bought with my own money at the £100 price drop. The first game I bought for it was Super Mario 64, but no I do not still have it :(

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Either Pokemon Trading Card Game and Monopoly for Game Boy Color or Pokemon Stadium for N64. I don't remember which one I got first anymore. Yes, I still have all 3 of them.

20. vince4321

vince4321 Active Member

My first game console was the nes and the first game was teenage mutant hero turtles as it came bundled with it, stupidly threw the packaging away for it, sold the nes and games and upgraded to the megadrive and sonic 1, have the nes and games back now but not the turtles box.