anyone remember #dcdev, dcemu, consolevison?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by jnmartin84, Jul 12, 2014.

1. jnmartin84

jnmartin84 Robust Member

This thread is more for social and nostalgic purposes than actual development, but did anyone here used to frequent the old #dcdev on EFNet I think it was, or the old Consolevision.com and dcemu websites?

I used to go by the handles of "crt0" followed by "tr0ll" back then (I think the timeframe was 2002 to 2004 give or take a year), worked on a Doom port with someone going by the handle of "DCGrendel," did a Wolfenstein 3D port using KOS (still have the code and some disc images) and was working on a Bomberman clone for a while.

Also developed a Sega Genesis emulator from scratch with a dude by the handle of "Sayten."

Just wondering if anyone else from that scene hangs out here.

If this is an inappropriate use of this section of the forum, I will accept my public shaming and leave in peace.

Thanks, take care.

- Jason

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

DCEmulation or DCEmu UK?

3. jnmartin84

jnmartin84 Robust Member

Dcemu UK was the one run by wraggster right? I thought he was part of both at one point? That was so long ago though.

4. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

I believe wraggster was initially a mod on DCEmulation (aka the original DCEmu). Then he spun off DCEmu UK.

#DCEmu on EFNet has been run by many different people over the years... I know UK ran it for a time into 2008 until they moved to Freenode.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  5. Kyle

Kyle Member

Hi Jason! burnerO here. I'm more of a lurker here but still enjoy the site. We had some good times. I used most of your code for my super amateur Dreamcast homebrew. I had all the time in the world back then. I'd compile and recompile until something built.

These days I'm an older bastard with a little boy that I make play old console games with. I'm a moderator at Shoryuken.com where I gab primarily about arcade sticks. I'm also a regular on the KRIKzz and GameHacking.org forums.

I still do a little bit of hobbyist coding when I have time:
    http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/9553-Game-Genie-Guy!

Syclopse likes this.
  6. BlueCrab

BlueCrab Member

The original DCEmulation (the .com) moved to dcemulation.org some time ago, and is still around. The IRC channel moved a couple of times over the years; first when 007 decided to shut down his IRC server and later when we it moved to freenode as well -- it's currently ##dreamcast on freenode, by the way. The old #dcdev that used to be on the same IRC server as dcemulation's channel moved to freenode many years before that, and is still around as well (#dreamcastdev on freenode).

And yes, there are some of us from DCEmulation around here (|darc|, APE, and myself, I know for sure).

Oh, and KOS is still alive and well, as well. Although, Dan has long since moved on from it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  7. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Hey crt0. Of course I remember you. It's great to hear from you. I was a teenager in middle school when DCEmu started, and hobbyist developers like you and Grendel and burnerO, although really not that much older than I am, were personal heroes of sorts to me. I may have been a little brat at times, but I was always absorbing what you guys talked about regarding development and I learned incredible amounts of things.

I now own DCEmu (back in your time I was a mod on the DCEmu forums and went by a few different names, Spazomatic, ChaoticSonic, DarcAgent) -- it's still up at http://dcemulation.org/ and everything on the forums since October 2001 when we made that big move from UBB to phpBB2 is still there. You are here. :p

Once everyone got fed up with 007Cheater and left for DCVision/Consolevision, wraggster was mostly in charge of maintaining the site.

Then wraggster got fed up and left and made DCEmuUK.

007Cheater then put me in charge of maintaining the site. I maintained it for years, then also got fed up and then moved it and all of its content to dcemulation.org. He threatened legal action against me, but I had the support of the community and given that none of the content there that was created by him still existed, I told him to bring it on.

DCEmu was way too much of a passion of mine to let 007Cheater ruin it by milking it for advertising money and hijacking the domain (it was an Alexa top 100K domain at the time and he wanted to redirect all of its traffic to his new completely unrelated website to boost its ratings). He didn't care about the Dreamcast or hobbyist development anymore and just wanted to abuse it. So I had to do what I had to do to keep alive the community and collective information that was an inspiration to me as a young teenager.

Not too long after he dropped the fight, I knew he wouldn't fight me legally as he didn't really care about the site itself. That was about 7 years ago. We have since reconciled personally, and I talk to him on occasion on Facebook.

The community has slowly died down but there are still many active members and lots of interest in the Dreamcast. BlueCrab maintains KOS now and it still gets commits regularly, and is the basis for all of the commercial Dreamcast games that still get released yearly.

I still have the contact information (mostly through facebook or twitter) for a lot of the old community members, like Hasney, KOF_Fan, pSyCo/Polymira, Dr. Zoidberg, Kami/sp00nz, MulletMan13, toastman, LiENUS, souLLy, MrSiggler, Quzar, az_bont, CactusJoe, Grendel, etc.

EDIT: As far as Consolevision goes, Huma eventually pretty much disappeared, burnerO was working on it but also disappeared, and wraggster was working on it but started power tripping and locking others out from it and redirecting things to DCEmu UK (wraggster was always pretty much a piece of shit on par with 007Cheater's antics). No one seemed motivated enough to continue it and it completely died when the domain wasn't renewed and got gulped up by a domain shark.

8. Kyle

Kyle Member

My departure was a combination of heading off to college and falling out with my then girlfriend. I was doing all of the HTML by hand. I tried a couple of times to move to a content management system but the site kept getting hacked. I could have done fine if I knew what I do now.

I dabbled in a couple of things for the original Xbox and have kept a pretty low profile since. These days I work a ton and spend most of my free time with my son. I'm terrible at Facebook. If you want to add me send a PM and I'll give you my info.

Funny enough I only play on real hardware these days. I don't care for emulation anymore with the advent of flash carts.

9. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

lol hai.

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I sure remember those sites! I was know as bigbig999 or my current nickname back then, and I was more a lurker than anything else given I was kinda young. But I've learned a big lot of stuff reading you guys.

That makes me think, if any of you got a backup of segakatana.com or contact details for mark30001 I'd sure appreciate if you could send it to me!

11. darcagn

I figured that had something to do with it and I'm not stranger to college and girlfriend issues as I had the same thing stopping me from working on DCEmu a while back, haha.

Sure thing, will do.

Funny, same here. I have gone through great lengths to do RGB mods, digital audio mods, region free mods, and copy protection disabling mods on all my classic consoles, as well as purchasing flash carts. I also have a Sony BVM RGB CRT for my office and an XRGB-mini Framemeister upscaler for my living room. I don't really care for new gaming nowadays except the Wii U. Emulation on the Dreamcast is pretty much dead at this point. It's all about the indie games development, hard drive/optical drive emulation on the Dreamcast now. I've been considering changing DCEmu's name for a site reboot for some time now.

12. Kyle

Kyle Member

Nice. Yeah, I have a PVM and use a Wega as my main TV. I'm doing SCART/RGB on everything as well. I think I saw you on shmups. You can see me nagging Jason of game-tech.us over here.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50313&start=90

I'm pretty much the same. No real interest in the current gen. Not a fan of FPS. I have a Wii that gets played on with the kiddo. I also have a couple of cabs. We pretty regularly play fighting games and shmups on my Naomi cab via a 360. I'm sure I'll eventually get a Wii U but no real need with a Wii backlog.

I got into making cheats for older games. You can see some of it over here. I have a bunch of sticky posts on several of the boards on the KRIKzz forums. I enjoy it when I have the time.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=971.0

13. darcagn

Yeah, I've been posting on Shmups a hell of a lot lately. You've probably seen me all up in the NESRGB threads. I have a PC10 RGB-modded NES and two NESRGB ones. Need to sell these, haha. I've seen your posts over there and I knew your name was Kyle but never realized that you were Kyle the burnerO, haha. Small world.

I'm hoping to get more flash carts soon. Low on money at the moment... I only have the Everdrive N8 and the SD2SNES. Hoping to get the Mega Everdrive soon and the Everdrive 64 v3 when it comes out.

Congrats on fatherhood by the way. Your son looks like such a happy child. :)

14. Kyle

Kyle Member

Mega Everdrive is awesome. I'd recommend it when you have the chance for both the Genny and SMS titles.

I have an RGB modded 64 but to be honest am not a huge fan of the library. I have a ton of carts for it though because it's about as old as I see at thrift stores/garage sales. Older gen stuff is all but gone. I may eventually get a cart for it. I would also like to get some pinball tables but don't really have the space.

15. darcagn

Yeah, I've never had an SMS before and I haven't played any of the titles on it but maybe once or twice back in the early 2000s. But I love 8-bit games so that is actually the biggest draw to the Mega Everdrive for me at the moment.

16. Kron

Kron Gutsy Member

Was a good laugh back in the day [​IMG]

17. darcagn

Ahh, Kron... we sure did butt heads quite a bit. :D

18. jnmartin84

jnmartin84 Robust Member

Howdy stranger. :D

19. jnmartin84

jnmartin84 Robust Member

Hello :D